Hub Build

roastnewt

The hub needs to change.

I suggest we run a build contest on C for a new hub, created for the reddit servers by the players?   I think a build contest would be a great event for C.

In the meantime, though, we can't keep the current hub, especially if we start advertising.  We can't let new players think THAT represents the nerd servers.  I modified this old build of ours to work as nerd's hub, if you'd like to use it, at least until we can get a nerd-built hub going.  It's not perfect, but it can work until the build contest.

http://imgur.com/a/V7VaH

Schematic:

https://mega.co.nz/#!WIZ0mZDY!C3kYew8dTDWTmr3Wfo2-RihlX1YGo5pI6jDiLkbdJcI

Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 5

Per the link that originally announced it:

We know it is terrible. We are working it get it all set up.

I'm almost done setting up the Event server to host the contest (hence the appearance of the E portal).

Is it not possible to run a competition for the map design alongside getting it set up? It'll take around a month (I'd assume) to get submissions and decide on the winner anyway. Why not do these at the same time and increase the efficiency? 

• Upvote 3

I'm glad to hear that the build contest is still happening, but even were it to start tomorrow, it would be some time before the contest was done, and the winners voted on / announced.  I'm just suggesting this schematic as something temporary that isn't what we have currently.

• Upvote 4

I'd like to use roast's hub, at least as a temporary hub until the competition results are in which could be some time. It also gives us a guaranteed nice looking hub which the contest doesn't. I mean we might end up walking out of the contest with the best suggestion being a diamond block pony with gold ore ears. Not questioning building capabilities here just people might not be interested in the contest. 

• Upvote 1

While I find roast's hub to be quite beautiful, its portal system is not nearly as welcoming as I feel we should have, our current one isn't great, but without going up and reading a small minecraft sign, i can still easily tell which portal is C, P, S, E. I hate to look towards rival servers for a better explanation, but PR's lobby server does succeed in making regular(slightly larger) portals easily distinguished because they are marked with a giant sign above each cardinal portal (although they have more than 4, so its a bit different) but still food for thought for the contest builders, mark everything boldly, a minecraft sign on a portal isn't the most welcoming thing for our new potential community members.

I'd like to use roast's hub, at least as a temporary hub until the competition results are in which could be some time. It also gives us a guaranteed nice looking hub which the contest doesn't. I mean we might end up walking out of the contest with the best suggestion being a diamond block pony with gold ore ears. Not questioning building capabilities here just people might not be interested in the contest. 

At you hinting at your entry?

NEVAstop had voiced some concerns that having the hub server build be a contest, since something of this scale may take some time. He had the idea that we use something that is already built.

So, for those who don't want to build, or aren't capable of it, they could enter a build that already exists that can be used (or easily reworked) as the hub.

I will setup the lobby so the mods are able to pretty it up a bit, thus satisfying y'alls desire. Also, the reasons for not using C are space and features. The contest will be using a plot plugin, allowing plot owners to manage the perms themselves after claiming. Also permissions are being granted that give the builders more advanced tools.... I'm waiting on 1 final piece before I can open the doors

• Upvote 4

I will setup the lobby so the mods are able to pretty it up a bit, thus satisfying y'alls desire. Also, the reasons for not using C are space and features. The contest will be using a plot plugin, allowing plot owners to manage the perms themselves after claiming. Also permissions are being granted that give the builders more advanced tools.... I'm waiting on 1 final piece before I can open the doors

This sounds like a pretty good idea, I can't wait!  :smile: