Revision 22 - Launching next weekend!

Tharine

(Cross-posted from the subreddit, so please forgive any formatting errors)

Proposed launch time and dateSunday 11th August, 9:30am Australian Central Standard Time <- Click to convert to your own timezone!

Hellooooo everybody!

With map preparation finalised, and with our update to 1.6.2 accomplished safe and sound, we're finally able to set a proper date we can launch Revision 22 by. This time and date (seen above) is pretty much as secure as it can be, the only thing that might delay or hold us back is one of the admins falling ill or otherwise being unable to make it unexpectedly. If something comes up we'll let you know as soon as possible, but we're not waiting on anything in particular to get this revision up and running.

However, we are announcing this a week in advance for a couple of reasons. One being that we're done with map preparation and we would like to make that known, another being that a weekend works best all around for map launches, and it would have been an unfair amount of short notice to spring the new revision on you this weekend.

Chaos events will be ongoing on s.nerd.nu until then, and we're looking to bring in a more reasonable config for Enchantism in the upcoming round, so keep an eye out for the post for round 7 when we have more concrete plans for when we'll be available to set that up. Have a complimentary chaos puppy in the mean time :)

General details about the upcoming revision

• Map size will be the standard 4000x4000 (i.e. from -2000 to +2000 on both the X and Z axes)
  • We're running with the four cardinal roads this map, with portals located at the 300 and 800 block marks down each road. There are also four 'hidden' nether portals further out up for discovery.
  • Roads are protected up to 25 blocks above and on average 5 blocks below their surface. Roads are protected much further down in the ocean biome(s), check those out when you get a chance. If you want to build in the space above the road between yourself and a neighbour, you must have their consent before doing so. We'll also monitor any builds that take up large portions of the road and contact anyone we feel is taking their claims with these a bit too far. Portal zones are protected up to sky limit, but only around 6 blocks below their surface. Similarly, we'll monitor any cases where it seems people might be abusing the protections offered by these areas.

Changes being brought in with the new revision

• Enchantism - Currently setup and working perfectly fine on the chaos events, we'll be going ahead with this for the new revision with the aforementioned updated config (accounting for any suggested further changes, of course).
  • PvPTimer - We'll hold off on bringing this on board until at least a few days after the map launch, to ensure things are as dangerous as ever in those early couple of days. However, once it's in effect, players who have first joined the server will have (an optional, they can turn it off if they choose) 1 hourof gameplay free from PvP. PvPTimer also comes with an option for protection upon respawn - we'll be keeping this as well unless there's any serious concern with it.
  • Rebalance Villagers has apparently been facing some issues. Per totemo, "RebalanceVillagers is not building because their repository for downloading dependencies has been down for many days at this stage. I'll try to work around it when I have a moment." It seems to be mostly out of our hands, but if we can't get this ready prior to map launch, we'll progress with vanilla-style villagers.
  • Crafting recipes for horse armour and saddles should hopefully be available upon map launch, if not shortly after. We'll let you know what these are when we've come to an agreement on them.
  • Creeper spawners - An idea suggested a short while ago, we've gone ahead with putting a few of these around the map. Being that abandoned mineshafts are much more easy to locate than individual mob spawners, what i've done is replaced a number of cave spider spawners across the map with ones that will spawn creepers. These are spread out randomly across the map, and i've tried to ensure a reasonable distribution in each of the four quadrants of the map. I can't guarantee which abandoned mineshafts out of all of them will be discovered, so the numbers i've replaced are done with that in mind.
  • We've dropped the 5 minute timer on despawning carts, however this change was made following putting the map up on event.nerd.nu. I've repopulated a number of abandoned mineshafts within the proximity of spawn with physical chests (all with sweet loot) to account for the chest minecarts that were lost, and hopefully those further out into the map should be unaffected.

Things that aren't changing/will carry over into the new revision

• Your clan chat should still work fine from the previous revision, i've noted that these have persisted throughout the chaos events.
  • Books will still only require 3 paper to be crafted.
  • PlumpXP will still be in effect, continuing an experience plump of 8X the vanilla amount (correct me if this is wrong, couldn't find the appropriate subreddit post for this).
  • Armoured head drops will continue to be in effect.
  • Any additional changes similar to this can be found listed on the second floor of the spawn building.

Some pointers for the first day of the revision

• To combat the concerns of a complicated spawn setup whilst maintaining that we do need the additional floors to hold information relevant to newer players, there is a warp sign directly off the respawn podium for each of the roads that will teleport you down two floors right before the drop. Roughly about a week after we've settled into this new revision, we will update the signs so that the warp takes you down to belowthe drop, and into the PvP-enabled zone. This is to make sure that people using the warp signs aren't given a massive advantage on the first day over those that prefer to walk their way down, as well as to give a second chance to those that might have accidentally clicked the sign.
  • Land claims - Bolded because it's a hassle every revision, land claims are by far the biggest issue we have to deal with as staff on the first day of the new map. These are many, and they are often complicated and require upwards of 30 minutes of our time to dedicate to, so please, in the interest of freeing up the workload for us and making things easier on everyone involved - talk to the person you're contesting the land claim with first and see if you can't come to a resolution between yourselves. Getting a moderator involved often means we'll check the LogBlock timestamps of whoever placed what first, and more often than not all we'll end up doing is separating your claims down the middle if they overlap. Please try to be reasonable with one another if you end up having claim issues, and please make a modreq rather than personally message a moderator if you need it to be resolved on your behalf. Modreqs go into a queue, and we handle them in the order they come in.

Hopefully i've covered what needs to be said about this upcoming revision, and please, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! I'm incredibly forgetful at the best of times, so chances are i've forgotten something completely obvious. Some additional interesting ideas about changes have been thrown about behind the scenes in the past couple of days that we could consider bringing onto Survival with this upcoming revision, but i've held off from mentioning them until there's anything concrete there. I'll be keeping everyone up to date with any further changes, both here and on the forums!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :D

Previous subreddit discussions for Revision 22:

Revision 22 - Keeping everyone up to date! (6 days ago)

General Post: Round 3 of Chaos; General updates regarding Revision 22 (19 days ago)

Revision 22 - Spawn, Arenas, and more! (1 month ago)

• Upvote 8

Adding this as a comment as it doesn't necessarily merit a separate post, here's the updated information for Revision 22, cross-posted from the subreddit here:

As the stickied post at the top of the subreddit announces, Survival's Revision 22 will be launching this weekend, planned to start:

Sunday 11th August, at around 9:30am Australian Central Standard Time <- Click this link to have it converted to your time zone!

That said, we've followed through with some of the minor changes mentioned in that previous thread. This post is both a reminder of the launch time, as well as a tying up of any loose threads that we've accumulated in the past week or so.

Enchantism - TornadoHorse has kindly offered (and of course, followed through) on setting up a poll discussing whether or not we should include some of the non-vanilla enchants that Enchantism provides options for, such as Knockback IV. That poll is ongoing, and I would love to see more input on it in the upcoming few days. However, going ahead with the start of the revision, we will be running with this config for Enchantism ("-1" marks an enchantment that will be made unavailable). My proposal is that we disable all of the non-vanilla enchants at the very least for the first week (that way ensuring that if we do want to remove particular enchants, they're not in the game already for those who had the chance to get them before being removed). Following further progression of the poll, we will add in the non-vanilla enchants that people desire to keep.

You may also notice in this updated config that smiler100 (the creator of Enchantism) has also now enabled it so that you can require bookshelves in order to obtain the higher level enchantments offered. In order to try and balance out things a bit more, at this stage we're going to go ahead with including this and having the number of bookcases required as set out in the default plugin.

Rebalance Villagers - totemo has worked around the issues previously presented by this plugin and managed to get it up and running successfully on s.nerd.nu's current chaos round. I was testing this earlier today and can confirm that new villager spawns do indeed contain all of the new trades set up with this plugin. During preparations on the day of launch, i'll be checking whether these trades will be in effect for already-existing villagers. If not, it just means that you will not see these new trades until new villagers are born. If you're planning on building a villager farm for this revision, take my advice - grab those on the first day because otherwise they will more than likely end up being killed. Their trades are designed with the idea in mind that farming diamond armour will not be easy, whilst still allowing for a villager economy to exist. As previously provided by Draykhar, here is the full config and trade settings for Rebalance Villagers. If you're interested in finding out about these trades first-hand, simply don't click on that link. We won't be providing the trades anywhere in-game, but we will provide and re-link this if asked and you're not forbidden in any way from inquiring about it at all.

Strength potions - As mentioned elsewhere about the subreddit and particularly forums, the changes made to strength potions in 1.6 have had an undesired effect on the state of PvP. To curb some of these issues, we've gone ahead with nerfing strength potions so that they're back to acting how they were in 1.5. Great thanks to zifnab06 for making this possible!

Crafting recipes for horse armour and saddles - We've gone ahead and borrowed the recipes as provided for PvE in their adjustment for updating to 1.6.2 during a current revision. The crafting recipes, whilst not available in the current vanilla game, provide an opportunity for everyone to have something that may otherwise be completely unobtainable on a multiplayer server. The recipes for horse armour are as such - their cost rather high to somewhat offset the reduced rarity of such an object - and saddles can be crafted like so. You can also buy saddles from villagers, if you find yourself with access to one that sells them.

We've made no changes to how we'll monitor horses at this stage but i'm planning on setting up a post on the forums for us to discuss whether or not we might like to control horses as the PvE server has done recently, and if so, how we might like to go about it. Anyone else is more than welcome to set up this post themselves, as I won't be dedicating the time to doing so until after we've gotten the new revision up and running. If you're keen on acquiring yourself a horse early on, and particularly if you're planning on doing something like setting something involving villagers - grab them early and hide them as best as you can. Horses do respawn, but at a lower rate than other non-hostile mobs, and villagers won't respawn naturally at all.

That said, I hope everyone is looking forward to this new revision and that we can make the transition as smoothly as possible. We have an ongoing checklist up on the forums here for what we need to have done on the day of the launch.

Survival-related topics to check out:

Revision 22 Changes and Discussion thread (I'll be unpinning this following the start of the new revision)
Redefining 'dicks' (aka discussing the 'don't be a dick' rule)

Vanilla PvP is broken in 1.6 (Discussion of how we can help remedy this)

Enchantism Plugin (Discussion of the Enchantism plugin in general)

Enchantism - Vanilla level enchants poll

Discussing the /duel command (Lack of discussion is holding this back from being developed/implemented)

Spawn camping (a bit of an older discussion surrounding the topic of spawn camping)

Previous subreddit threads discussing the progression of Revision 22/s.nerd.nu:

"Chaos Events: Concluding this weekend" (8 hours ago)

"Revision 22 - Launches next weekend..." (6 days ago)

"Revision 21 - Survival Arena League (SAL) Results!" (6 days ago)

"Revision 22: Keeping everyone up to date!" (13 days ago)

"General Post ... updates regarding Revision 22" (26 days ago)