AFK Command

kittypuppet

I used to play on a server where /AFK was enabled - basically you enter the command and it tells everyone you're AFK (*<player name> is now AFK), and when you come back you re-enter it and it pulls you out of it (*<player name> is no longer AFK).

Maybe even have /AFK move you to spawn or even the lobby, and when you re-enter it it essentially spawns you back in your previous location (/back basically)? I feel like it could be helpful. Would it even be possible to find a way so when you do /list, it shows who's AFK and such? I feel like that could be super useful.

I think a nice alternative would be to bring back the infamous /me command. 
"/me is AFK" always worked well in the past. 

Come to think of it, I've actually forgotten why /me was removed - I think it was due to role-players over-using it, but I remember us coming to a move friendly approach to role-players recently, I believe in a Mumble meeting. 

What about if we could get a custom AFK command?  Instead of announcing in general chat, it could just shoot a quick message to anyone who types the AFK person's name in chat or tries to send them a /msg.  This would also have the added benefit of informing people of AFK status even if they missed the initial "/me is AFK" message.

• Upvote 4

Wayne, I like your idea. I think I'll try to code something up, and see if people like it. Ideally, if someone typed "/afk", it would come up with all possible arguments for the afk system:

• "/afk toggle" - Sets your status as AFK. This will NOT broadcast anything in general chat. While a player is set to AFK, anyone who messages the afk player, or says their full name in chat, will get a message saying "Player is currently listed as AFK".
  • "/afk list" - This would bring up a list of all players currently listed as AFK.
  • "/afk PlayerName" - This would return one of two options: "Player is currently listed as AFK" and "Player is currently listed as not AFK".

I'd like to hear some feedback!

• Upvote 7

Wayne, I like your idea. I think I'll try to code something up, and see if people like it. Ideally, if someone typed "/afk", it would come up with all possible arguments for the afk system:

• "/afk toggle" - Sets your status as AFK. This will NOT broadcast anything in general chat. While a player is set to AFK, anyone who messages the afk player, or says their full name in chat, will get a message saying "Player is currently listed as AFK".
  • "/afk list" - This would bring up a list of all players currently listed as AFK.
  • "/afk PlayerName" - This would return one of two options: "Player is currently listed as AFK" and "Player is currently listed as not AFK".

I would be interested in seeing something like this. I'm not a huge fan of those "Dumbo52 is now AFK" messages in chat, so a more passive mechanism like this would work well in my book.

• Upvote 2

"/afk PlayerName" - This would return one of two options: "Player is currently listed as AFK" and "Player is currently listed as not AFK".

A few thoughts. The first, purely because I think it sounds better: /afk Playername should do "Player is not currently listed as AFK" rather than "Player is currently listed as AFK." But Maybe I'm over thinking that. The other part is more of an agreement with Wayne's inital idea. I think that having a message sent to those people who mention name or msgs saying something along the line of "Playername is AFK" would be a helpful addition.

A few thoughts. The first, purely because I think it sounds better: /afk Playername should do "Player is not currently listed as AFK" rather than "Player is currently listed as AFK." But Maybe I'm over thinking that.

Well, ideally it would do both. It would return the status of the player. If the player is AFK, it would return the "Player is currently listed as AFK", but if they are not, then "Player is not currently listed as AFK" is returned.

• Upvote 1

Not trying to be a downer here, but It's not that much different to just type the letters afk. And you could just build yourself an afk chamber next to your house.

Say someone logs in after you type that, and are trying to chat to you. They may not know you are afk, and may think you're just being mean. This would ideally be on all servers, so you wouldn't just be able to teleport to them to see if they are in their afk hut.

• Upvote 1

I think a nice alternative would be to bring back the infamous /me command. 

"/me is AFK" always worked well in the past. 

Come to think of it, I've actually forgotten why /me was removed - I think it was due to role-players over-using it, but I remember us coming to a move friendly approach to role-players recently, I believe in a Mumble meeting. 

/me is currently enabled, at least on Survival.

I like this idea. Only I'd make it /afk instead of /afk toggle, for faster AFKing. Perhaps /afk message <msg> could set a custom message for players to see when they message you.

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think /afk should be a command because it can be used by griefers to target players who are afk near unprotected builds.

Or rather, if /afk becomes a command, we should be allowed to use /seen on P, because that was the reason /seen was removed from regular player permissions.

I don't think /afk should be a command because it can be used by griefers to target players who are afk near unprotected builds.

Or rather, if /afk becomes a command, we should be allowed to use /seen on P, because that was the reason /seen was removed from regular player permissions.

If someone used /afk to target players to grief, which seem unlikely to me but certainly possible, once the person comes back from afk they can just modreq the grief.

As for the second part of your comment, it's my understanding that /seen was removed due to players taking it upon themselves to remove a player's build if they were inactive. A player would have to be online to use /afk, so I don't see how this would come into play.

If someone used /afk to target players to grief, which seem unlikely to me but certainly possible, once the person comes back from afk they can just modreq the grief.

As for the second part of your comment, it's my understanding that /seen was removed due to players taking it upon themselves to remove a player's build if they were inactive. A player would have to be online to use /afk, so I don't see how this would come into play.

There's a working version of /seen on the internet. Having it disallowed in game seems kinda silly at this point.

• Upvote 1