How would you guys feel about a challenge town to spice things up? Post your challenge ideas inside!

TheRandomnatrix

Cross posted to forums for visibility.

Posting just to get an idea of what people's opinions are. Pretty towns with cohesive themes are neat and all, but I think it's also a good idea to get back to the notion of PvE itself. So I'm proposing the idea of a challenge town, where to participate in the town you have to follow certain handicaps, which in turn influence how the town gets made. They can also be combined with the town idea itself for an added challenge. For instance, no enderpearls+floating islands would force people to make bridges all over rather than enderpearling from island to island. They can also be silly thing that add to the town's culture, such as only fish, and impose 'bans' on the importation of anything else. Feel free to take any of these and use them for your town. In fact I encourage it >:D

Some ideas I have. I stole a few from /r/minecraft that I've seen over time:

• You can only travel via minecart. All builds must be within an arm's reach(give or take) of a track. Getting out for a short time to do something is fine so long as you remain close by and get back in. This one would dramatically change how towns are built and designed.
  • Only travel via horses. You're not allowed to get within a a certain distance from your designated horse. Leads are forbidden for use on them.
  • Enderpearls are not allowed. Could use the enderpearl deny flag pending admin approval.
  • Armor is strictly forbidden. Be proud of your nakedness! (small amounts of dyed leather armor are fine)
  • Torches and jackolanterns(which use torches) are not allowed. Filthy plebs and their torches. Could go one step further and do only light by lava or some other crazy light block.
  • All redstone must be powered with a "generator" powered by something. stolen from /r/minecraft(the example used rotten flesh iirc). Might have to tweak it to avoid redstone lag.
  • No enderchests. None of that newfangled "store your stuff in a magic box and pull it out when you need it" mumbo jumbo.
  • Only one water source. Also stolen from /r/minecraft. I think it would be awesome to have an aqueduct system encouraged by only one water source from high up.
  • Only fish(or some other food. Chose fish because it's harder to get). "What the hell is a carrot? Get out of my sight!". This handicap could be temporarily lifted at the start when food is scarce, but implemented later when people get settled in.
  • You may only kill mobs via indirect means. Wolves, punching them off a cliff(the fall kills them not the hit), creepers, skelly arrows, iron golems, and flint and steel are all viable options.
  • When you die you have to log off for a day. Say goodbye to your stuff. This one I'm not sure about, but I think it would make people be more careful about what they do. Maybe only occurs if you die in the town? It would have to be self imposed. Or you could just be unable to get your stuff back, but still be able to play?
  • Everyone can't be in the sunlight for long or you have to set yourself on fire. A silly one, but it would be interesting. Again, would only take effect after a certain time and only within the town.

Suggest some more ideas and I'll add them to the list

• Upvote 3

• You can only travel via minecart. All builds must be within an arm's reach(give or take) of a track. Getting out for a short time to do something is fine so long as you remain close by and get back in. This one would dramatically change how towns are built and designed.
  • Enderpearls are not allowed. Could use the enderpearl deny flag pending admin approval.
  • Armor is strictly forbidden. Be proud of your nakedness! (small amounts of dyed leather armor are fine)
  • All redstone must be powered with a "generator" powered by something. stolen from /r/minecraft(the example used rotten flesh iirc). Might have to tweak it to avoid redstone lag.
  • No enderchests. None of that newfangled "store your stuff in a magic box and pull it out when you need it" mumbo jumbo.
  • Only one water source. Also stolen from /r/minecraft. I think it would be awesome to have an aqueduct system encouraged by only one water source from high up.
  • Only fish(or some other food. Chose fish because it's harder to get). "What the hell is a carrot? Get out of my sight!". This handicap could be temporarily lifted at the start when food is scarce, but implemented later when people get settled in.

Everything that you posted are awesome ideas, the ones I quoted above though really stand out to me. I think they would provide a really unique building style, and if you then even combined some of them (Ex: minecart only, and redstone from generator only. Making powered rails only able to be powered by the generators but you can only get around by minecart; Ex: only have 1 water source block with aqueducts but have the only allowed food type be fish). Or perhaps even combine 4 or 5 of them for an even harder challenge.

Perhaps a region disabling/enforcing these specific things could be made over the town and extended by a /modreq from anyone inside said town. Obviously there are some things that'd be extremely difficult to enforce, though, such as the no-direct-mobkilling thing. 

Perhaps a region disabling/enforcing these specific things could be made over the town and extended by a /modreq from anyone inside said town. Obviously there are some things that'd be extremely difficult to enforce, though, such as the no-direct-mobkilling thing.  

Sounds like an interesting idea, but how will you keep it enforced In a public server?

This would all be self imposed. By joining it you'd agree to the challenges.

Could work, but I'm not sure if the townmembers will be wanting Diamond and such.

Well you could make it so they can mine with what ever but when the build stuff like the houses and stuff it can onle be wood tools makeing a screw up a big time mistake in stead of a minor setback

Well you could make it so they can mine with what ever but when the build stuff like the houses and stuff it can onle be wood tools makeing a screw up a big time mistake in stead of a minor setback

Certainly a good idea, techs should look into that.