Is the community dying?

bmx20042004

56 members have voted

1. 1. Is the community dying?

• Yes
    • No

I personally feel that the community is going in a bit of a bumpy pattern at the moment. One week we're productive and we're getting shit done, the next there's a huge debate or argument about something. I'd say it feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. 

I don't think anyone can really give a fully educated answer about where exactly nerd is going because there's so much conflict to every good decision we make. A vote can't hurt, as long as people actually think through what they're going to answer with. 

• Upvote 2

The community? Not at all, I still enjoy speaking and playing around with everyone here, I and many others have fun just hanging around. The game? Eh, PvE is great, Creative looks to be a lot better, Survival is ever changing and I'm happy with that. I don't think the community is anywhere near dead, the servers will eventually become less interesting but I don't think there's any chance of the actual community going.

• Upvote 6

Wow never come close to dying from laughing. No offense but posts like this and people who "stir the pot" such as yourself are the only reason the community would be dying. Going to our roots, we argue and bicker on the forums but when it comes down to it, THIS is not our community on here. Our community is in the game. The new players who are making their very first hovel to the players who don't want to put up with the bickering here who are building a skyscraper in game. You have the whole concept of our community wrong. We were never a forums community, this is just where discussion happens. In game where honestly a good majority of players who are both new and old and are the glue of our servers, are keeping us together by doing something honestly many older players forgot how to do which is just build and have fun.

• Upvote 9

Wow never come close to dying from laughing. No offense but posts like this and people who "stir the pot" such as yourself are the only reason the community would be dying. Going to our roots, we argue and bicker on the forums but when it comes down to it, THIS is not our community on here. Our community is in the game. The new players who are making their very first hovel to the players who don't want to put up with the bickering here who are building a skyscraper in game. You have the whole concept of our community wrong. We were never a forums community, this is just where discussion happens. In game where honestly a good majority of players who are both new and old and are the glue of our servers, are keeping us together by doing something honestly many older players forgot how to do which is just build and have fun.

Looking past the unnecessary inflammatory comment. ಠ_ಠ

I disagree.

The community is not, and should not be "just in-game", the community is nerd.nu as a whole, that includes the forums, mumble and IRC.

Excluding people who don't play in-game from the community is wrong, for example there are plenty of older members who still hang around in Mumble and IRC, they are just as much a part of the community as xX420Y0L0quikscopeXx building his skyscraper in-game.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 13

P is about to restart, with lots of people and many plans. S is trying out new things to be fresh, let's not pre-judge that progress. C is small, but a mighty amount of work is done. 

Out of Minecraft there's renewed interested in various Steam games, IRC and Mumble are active and there's a great amount of debate and off topic talk on the forums. 

Most other communities would be envious of all that, please don't take it for granted.

• Upvote 4

I feel the servers are "growing" more than anything. It's like the old people, the veterans, are the ones who are leaving because of various reasons. I've been on C and P a lot and I see TONS of new faces, it's awesome. Of course it's great to see all the older generations still playing but I don't think this community is, "dying".

I personally feel that the community is going in a bit of a bumpy pattern at the moment. One week we're productive and we're getting shit done, the next there's a huge debate or argument about something. I'd say it feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. 

What Eehee said also sums up what I was going to say next. 

• Upvote 1

Happy people don't complain, so you don't see the hundreds of happy people because they're all playing blocks.

There is a small subset of players in this community that will never be happy.  They have turned this forum and making others as angry as they are in to their mode of entertainment instead of actually playing minecraft.  This in no way is representative of the playerbase as a whole.

• Upvote 9

There is a small subset of players in this community that will never be happy.  They have turned this forum and making others as angry as they are in to their mode of entertainment instead of actually playing minecraft.  This in no way is representative of the playerbase as a whole.

The only threads that I've seen involving unhappy players are about the changes to survival.  The changes are pretty drastic, so people that liked the original Survival aren't going to be happy about the changes.  (Personally I love almost every recent change to Survival, but I understand people's complaints)  Saying that these people are only complaining to cause trouble is frankly rude and very dismissive of their legitimate complaints.

...instead of actually playing minecraft...

Take a look at this:  http://nerd.nu/usage/survival/

The people that are complaining have some of the highest play-times on the server.  They're passionate about the server because they're so heavily invested in it.  Please don't dismiss their concerns like this.

Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 7

I'm sorry if my comment offended anyone, but I stand by it.

And Barney- persecution complex, really?  I'm the new admin on C- the drama free server.  I'm the one that is not tired of dealing with players, or worn down by constant debate on the forums.   If I objectively look at the forums and posts for the past couple weeks clear patterns emerge.  There is a subset of users that all group together in these threads.  They are a small percentage of the community as a whole.

Look, I like to think I'm a reasonably cool guy to play with and I don't treat people like dicks.   Anyone who has played on C with me would know that, I hope.  That said, in my opinion the only reason anyone would start a "is this community dying?" thread and "I personally feel at this point that many people are losing faith in our community" is to draw other's people attention to their (Very visible, recent) dissatisfaction with how the servers are run in an effort to get more support for their views.  This is basically an attack on the head admins (of which I am not one) thinly veiled behind a screen of "Hey guys, I'm asking this community question to make things better!"

What exactly do you hope to accomplish with this thread?  Get more people to say "yes" instead of "no" to be a catalyst for change?   Get more people bitching in the hopes that the heads or techs step down?  You address no specific problems to which a solution could be posed, so its not even like you're looking for constructive ideas.

• Upvote 9

I find that comment pretty offensive.

I disagree

I find that gif offensive. My comment was no more inflammatory than this post insulting the community.

Looking past the unnecessary inflammatory comment. ಠ_ಠ

I disagree.

The community is not, and should not be "just in-game", the community is nerd.nu as a whole, that includes the forums, mumble and IRC.

Excluding people who don't play in-game from the community is wrong, for example there are plenty of older members who still hang around in Mumble and IRC, they are just as much a part of the community as xX420Y0L0quikscopeXx building his skyscraper in-game.

Alright to start with this, I am speaking about the majority of players. No community will ever 100% in the forums or IRC. I am sure that there are still players who make up IRC circle jerk and what not, which is very true. Being a server based community is what makes us as a whole a community. You think we would be a true community with faces everyone knows if it were just the forums keeping us here?

What exactly do you hope to accomplish with this thread?  Get more people to say "yes" instead of "no" to be a catalyst for change?   Get more people bitching in the hopes that the heads or techs step down?  You address no specific problems to which a solution could be posed, so its not even like you're looking for constructive ideas.

I definitely agree here. If you think the community is dying, you need:

1. evidence

2. suggestions

Not a poll. It's totally pointless.

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 6

So you can what? I didn't understand this part of your post.

What happens when you post while driving... So you can stop insisting that most of our community is out of game cause we both know that is rubbish. I felt four was implying most of our community is in the forums or IRC or something.

I definitely agree here. If you think the community is dying, you need:

1. evidence

2. suggestions

Not a poll. It's totally pointless.

A living testament to that our community isn't dying. We have so many 2011- 2012 players still here it's extraordinary. I honestly would love to see another community that can maintain such long standing players for so long. Again sure we are small, but that's how we always have been, we aren't a 10,000 player server with 12 year olds galore, we are a mature community who can work together for the good of the servers.

I don't know how anyone can, honestly, conceive the notion that this community is dying. While there has certainly been a bit of rabble going on the forums I don't see any reflection of that going on in the community as a whole. And while it's certainly easier to air grievances here, there's hardly any indication even here on the forums that the community is nothing but attempting to improve the experience on the servers. The latest S revision and all the feedback on it is a testament to this point, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly I see this poll as another attempt to get inflammatory responses from players and staff alike and it is completely unproductive. This is unfortunately something I've come to expect from certain members of this community and I still find it unacceptable. We on the staff are always open to feedback and I don't think posts such as these are helpful at all. If you have specific grievances or have a great idea please make a post about it and let everyone discuss it. Making generalized opinion polls helps nobody besides the 24/7 news channels.

• Upvote 8

What happens when you post while driving... So you can stop insisting that most of our community is out of game cause we both know that is rubbish. I felt four was implying most of our community is in the forums or IRC or something.

A large portion of our community is out of game though. Many of us have played on these servers for years and made good friends within the commuinty. Over time minecraft becomes boring or something that we don't have time for anymore. A large portion of these members stay active in mumble, irc, steam, and the forums to keep in touch with friends they've made on the Nerd servers.

There are over 60 members in irc, over 350 members in our steam group, and about 40-80 players in game. Together we make up the mcpublic community.

I think what Four was saying is that there is a ton of members of the community that are no longer active in game, and that it wouldn't be right to exclude them from the community.

• Upvote 4

Meanwhile, 90% of players are having fun on the servers not aware of any of these "issues". Our servers are still full of people and none of them seem to be on the verge of leaving. So no. The community isnt dying...

Now cant we just go back to building?

Edit: i literally giggled when i saw this was a poll.

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 2

Meanwhile, 90% of players are having fun on the servers not aware of any of these "issues". Our servers are still full of people and none of them seem to be on the verge of leaving. So no. The community isnt dying...

I'd say that we've lost a very large portion of our players. There was a time where we had an average of 150+ players across our network. Look at it now:

Reddit Creative Server, Rev 26 (1.7.9): [5/150] | Reddit PvE Rev 13 (1.7.9): [25/150] | Reddit Survival Rev 26 (1.7.9): [5/150] | Mumble: [25/200] | MCBouncer: Up!

I know that we are near the end of a revison for both S and PvE, but even at launch the numbers were low. It is clear that we are losing players, don't say that we aren't.

Instead of saying "everything is fine, don't complain," we need to work together as a community to improve the servers.

Edited by unce
  • Upvote 4

Guest Former Staff

Bmx20042004, I am glad that you put this question out there as a poll because I don't feel that any one person here can convince you that the community is not dying. I don't just respectfully disagree with your opinion but based on the facts that I can see, this community is very much alive.

The vast majority of topics on this forum section were largely created over the past few weeks with many discussions being active at once, at one point. The subreddit is going into overdrive ready for the next reset for p.nerd.nu and from the servers that I have been visiting (when I have had time), have been fairly active.

Dying communities stagnate and do not engage in conversations. I admit that there seems to be a bit of conflict within some discussions but it could be far, far worse, where nothing constructive comes out of it. We're fortunate that we have so many people participating, who do care and do want to belong.

If I could make one change at the moment, it would be to brainwash everyone to remove the perception of Players Vs Staff and Staff Vs Players. If discussions could focus on the real issues being discussed and leave those sentiments completely out of it, then we might just be able to get along a bit better and get more out of our debates.

Bmx20042004, I'm interested to know if the voting and people's opinions have helped for you to reconsider your theory?

A large portion of our community is out of game though. Many of us have played on these servers for years and made good friends within the commuinty. Over time minecraft becomes boring or something that we don't have time for anymore. A large portion of these members stay active in mumble, irc, steam, and the forums to keep in touch with friends they've made on the Nerd servers.

There are over 60 members in irc, over 350 members in our steam group, and about 40-80 players in game. Together we make up the mcpublic community.

I think what Four was saying is that there is a ton of members of the community that are no longer active in game, and that it wouldn't be right to exclude them from the community.

Kinda chuckled cause you did just prove that the community isn't dying. I'll go ahead and say I agree that many old folks don't like mc anymore and play other games and services.

• Upvote 3