New Server: WAR! A mixture of S and P!

flameoguy

WAR

A PvE and Survival crossbreed

Grammatically Readable Edition 

War is a town-based PvP game where every week town protections are dropped, and a battle takes place.

There are  3 zones. 2 (or possibly more) towns, and a 200~500 block thick wilderness in between. In the wilderness, PvP and Grief is always on, resulting in a chaos, where anything is allowed and enabled, except for teamkilling. In towns, their citizens are protected from PvP and Grief. However, every week there is a War Day lasting 24 hours, and all the town PvP and Grief protections are dropped, and the towns are able to attack each-other, resulting in a battle. After war day, the server enters a Peace Week, where towns can regroup, rebuild, and re-prepare for the next War Day.

Upon joining the server for the first time, players will choose to join an existing town, or create one on their own for their friends to join. (or possibly become town-less). Players can change their town later, but they have to wait 2 IRL days after their last town-change to prevent town-hopping and treason. Towns start of with 100 blocks of protection surrounding the town hall. When a new player joins a town, 50 blocks are added to the new protection to accommodate the new player. When a new town is created, players must make the initial protection farther than 200 blocks from another town, but within 500 blocks of it.

The goal is to ransack and loots the enemy, as well as possibly destroy an object called The Town Core. 

The Town Core is a beacon, glowstone block, or some other precious block heavily reinforced with obsidian. Towns start out with a Town Core under their town hall, and fortify it to their liking. If a town's core is destroyed, the town loses all it's protections forever, and possibly becomes a colony of the victor town.

Obviously, any sort of teamkilling would be disabled. To banish teamkillers, treacherous players and greifers, towns would vote to banish the treacherous player and make them townless. A banishment requires a %40(?) vote from the whole town.

Also, TNT and firespread will be enabled in the wild, and on war day, firespread will be enabled in the enemy town, but not TNT. Directly TNTing enemy towns would be overpowered, but TNT cannons set up in the wild would be viable.  

Based on this post:

https://nerd.nu/forums/index.php?/topic/2624-new-idea-for-a-server-war/

Feel free to post new suggestions below, and I will add them!

Edited by flameoguy
  • Upvote 1

Because flame felt it necessary to refine poke's opinions into a more concise plan. A fine notion, its clarified a few questions I myself had about the concept, though jllmprrt's question is certainly valid. Not really a need for another post.

That being said, I'm curious as to the need for only two opposing factions. It's perfectly concievable, for the size of our combined server populations, for there to be more than two sides in this War. There are also a large number of independant players who may simply want to loan their services to the factions. These players would benefit most from the ability to create their own smaller settlements.

• Upvote 4

...I'm curious as to the need for only two opposing factions. It's perfectly concievable, for the size of our combined server populations, for there to be more than two sides in this War. There are also a large number of independant players who may simply want to loan their services to the factions. These players would benefit most from the ability to create their own smaller settlements.

I have to agree with this. I think it would be a bit more fun if players could name and create their own individual towns, instead of just joining two default towns. Imagine a town made entirely of C players, or players who lived in the PvE city of Rose? This, in addition to population issues, would make it a bit better option.

Edited by flameoguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like the principle idea of this, a lot actually, The stealth and cunning it would require would be vastly entertaining - I see from the posts that this has been discussed intensely and I'm not sure of all the ideas that have been bounced around - but expanding from flameoguys's OP of  " and   possibly becomes a colony of the victor town."  would it work to be like the game of Risk where once you attack if you defeat ( capture the town core ) you now own that section of blocks and it is now part of your holdings this would continue till the final raid where there is only one Town that controls the server therefore ending the rev- starting over with the New Rev  and  New Colonies-  Like in war it becomes about Strategy who do you attack and why- 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at this from an overarching logistics perspective, I think splitting the community into multiple long-form pvp servers would be a bad idea, yet I forsee making this replace the survival server would have significant opposition from people who want to pvp more than the restrictive one day a week. If you want to avoid these problems, you'd have to have enough players to support 2 pvp servers (while we're now looking at novel ideas because we don't have that kind of population). No matter what avenue we take, there will be a downside, and I don't pretend to know which is optimal.

That said, I do like the general sound of this, though perhaps extending the pvp to two or three days would be better for letting everyone get some action in.