Proposed Rule Changes for PvE

Denevien

46 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the changes?

• I agree with the first proposed change
    • I agree with the second proposed change
    • I agree with both proposed changes
    • I disagree with both proposed changes

There has been talk about clarifications on some rules, so we took a look at some of our rules and decided to make some changes. We discussed this at length, and feel that the players will be happy with these proposed changes. But, to ensure we are all on the same page, we'd like to see how everyone feels about these. We plan to run this poll until October 4th (ending the same time as the hard-mode poll). Then should be having another mumble meeting in the days to follow. If you have any questions regarding these changes, feel free to ask away below.

Old Rule: No killing or trapping other players in any manner except in clearly marked PVP arenas. PvP arenas must be clearly marked, completely enclosed, and access-restricted builds. The PvP-enabled area may not exceed 40x40x40 blocks, and may not interact with other PvP areas in any way. Enabling of the PvP flag will be done entirely at the discretion of server admins.

Proposed Rule: No killing or trapping other players in any manner except in clearly marked PVP arenas. PvP arenas must be clearly marked, completely enclosed, and access-restricted builds. This means that the area needs to only be accessible via iron doors that require a button press to enter. These entrances must be marked with signs stating that it is a PvP area, and that players enter at their own risk. The PvP-enabled area may not exceed 40x40 blocks, and may not interact with other PvP areas in any way. Enabling of the PvP flag will be done entirely at the discretion of server admins. Indirect forms of PvP are also not allowed (e.g. using a mob to kill another player).

Old Rule: Unless specific permission is given, killing or stealing mobs that are "owned" by other players is considered griefing.  Mobs are considered owned if they are in clearly marked, enclosed areas, which are inaccessible without region permissions. Mobs found in the wild may be killed or captured.

Proposed Rule: Unless specific permission is given, killing or stealing mobs that are "owned" by other players is considered griefing. Mobs are considered owned if they are in clearly marked and enclosed areas. This applies to hostile mobs if and only if they are contained so that anyone in the area can not be harmed by the mob (e.g. a skeleton should not be able to shoot players walking by). Also, players are not allowed to kill a horse being ridden by another player. Mobs found in the wild may be killed or captured.

• Upvote 6

I pretty much agree with all of these proposed rule changes, however, I can't help but feel that the 2nd proposed rule can be subject to abuse.

Here's an example from the start of Rev 12: apparently there's a player who collected about 50 horses at the beginning of the rev. Maybe this was hyperbole in chat, maybe not, however, it is perfectly possible for people who act quickly in the beginning of the rev to hog up all rare resources, so will that be fair for those from smaller communities or the players who are not associated with the right "clique" within the server community? As much as PvE is about community, there are always those who will try to take advantage of the situation to favor their own agenda. 

I know I am talking in a hypothetical, but I do hope that in extreme cases of severe monopolizing, the staff will be allowed to make necessary changes to make the gameplay a little bit more fair for everyone so that we can all have fun in a respectful manner.

*Just my 2 cents that I wanted to voice. I still agree with both proposed changes.

Edited by ne0codex
  • Upvote 2

I agree with both wholly, except the possible abuse of the second rule in this scenario:

A player traps a large amount of skeletons in a box where players cannot harm them, then releases them via pistons as a trap. I feel this is a form of bypassing the "the player and hostile mob should have no ability to harm one-another" rule by transforming it into a trap.

• Upvote 1

I agree with both wholly, except the possible abuse of the second rule in this scenario:

A player traps a large amount of skeletons in a box where players cannot harm them, then releases them via pistons as a trap. I feel this is a form of bypassing the "the player and hostile mob should have no ability to harm one-another" rule by transforming it into a trap.

This is already covered under the rule banning player traps.

I'd honestly be only actually concerned with players fencing off individual animals (particularly rarer ones) in the wild and leaving them as grief bait. Would this be dealt with as such?

Aside from that, these changes are a pair of nice clarifications.

• Upvote 2

With the second rule, would it be acceptable to breed farm animals before stealing some for yourself? Such as, breeding up two new cows before taking two home with you or killing them for food. Theoretically the person who owns the mobs wouldn't be affected one way or another.

• Upvote 2

I pretty much agree with all of these proposed rule changes, however, I can't help but feel that the 2nd proposed rule can be subject to abuse.

Here's an example from the start of Rev 12: apparently there's a player who collected about 50 horses at the beginning of the rev. Maybe this was hyperbole in chat, maybe not, however, it is perfectly possible for people who act quickly in the beginning of the rev to hog up all rare resources, so will that be fair for those from smaller communities or the players who are not associated with the right "clique" within the server community? As much as PvE is about community, there are always those who will try to take advantage of the situation to favor their own agenda. 

I know I am talking in a hypothetical, but I do hope that in extreme cases of severe monopolizing, the staff will be allowed to make necessary changes to make the gameplay a little bit more fair for everyone so that we can all have fun in a respectful manner.

*Just my 2 cents that I wanted to voice. I still agree with both proposed changes.

Would people really need that many horses if they can be bred? Also I know who you're talking about who then went on to say they had at least 65 horses on C.