Survival Rev 23 Suggestions

Mrloud15

I for one would like to see horses spawning regularly and naturally, mostly. This rev has been.. well, very short of neighing animals. Whilst I think that protecting horses goes a bit too far, I certainly disapprove of the fact that once a players horse is killed, it's near impossible to get back as the only method is to find a Villager and hope it can trade Horse Eggs or cure a Zombie Villager and hope it sells Horse Eggs; if it doesn't, rinse and repeat. I'm certainly against dozens spawning every minute, of course. It just needs to be more within reach to own a horse. Perhaps the same principle could apply to cows, but no further than that.

This has been a pretty good rev, the spawn done well in my eyes and the roads made nicely. There's been little shortage of detail and attention to server buildings, (staff made ones such as spawn) and generally this rev hasn't been as toxic as last rev - hopefully we can agree on that if anything. Perhaps a new PvP arena could be made alongside KoTH and KoTV, but different and very new feeling, so as not to give a player the sense that the arenas never change. I think what we need most of all is a fresh start. What I want to see most is a lot more unique and intuitive features implemented and a lot more polls on what should be added to the server. 

Upvote for Jesus (or if you agree with what I've said), downvote if you have no heart (or if you have no heart). <3 

Thanks for reading guys! ;D

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

I have many suggestions, so before continuing please understand I am throwing my thoughts on paper, you're bound to disagree with something, have at it constructively.  I want to include some difficult concepts.

Enchantism is unique to the server, and a wonderful addition, please keep it.

Set a rev end date - 45-60 days is a good time period.

Bring back beds, as a social experiment.  Re-evaluate at 35-45 days and announce the decision for the next rev as we are all anxious for change near end-of-announced rev. (You may need a plugin to monitor the breaking of beds, or clarity in the rules that breaking it and putting it back is truly griefing as it resets the spawn point)

Keep the mob plump, it is why I play here instead of PvE and/or single player.  I'm sometimes thankful I can't figure out how to implement the code on my own, despite its availability.

Tolerate less toxic behaviour (like public accusations, too much of this is allowed).  I like S banter more than anyone, but I think it leads to the lesser good of our community.  PvE creates a community that comes together, we're just pushing each other apart.  I like PvP but this is something different and the distinction needs to be made and understood.  You're in a smaller player-base currently, if you cultivate the base you have it will grow on its own.  I know at least 20 people who play minecraft IRL.  I don't refer any of them to our server currently... I can't be the only one with this room to grow.

Thank you for bringing back villagers.  Please re-evaluate the trades as they suck.  Grinding in a tunnel, or fabricating a village that might die... both take time and effort.  Effort that is a reasonable cost to having an advantage in combat.  I agree you need to modify them from vanilla, but maybe not as much (double the sugar cane cost?).  If the trades are too crazy, we'll just make sure your villagers die more often.  To those who enjoy villagers as much as I - incase they don't change the trades - realize how easy it is to make sheep with the mob plugin.

Mob plugin from PvE - thank you for learning from their unique server.  This is an excellent addition.  I am curious to see how many times people leave 2 animals though since they won't have extras to slaughter... I used to leave 2.

Set a rev end date - 45-60 days. (Emphasis)

Realize the three S admins we have currently are quality individuals, volunteering their time.  This is worth much more than we provide credit for.  Please also realize these three are worthy of our trust.  I will leave my comments concerning others out of the thread in hopes that these three will require little outside intervention.

No leather for books is sweet, screw the vanilla game for changing this.  Keep your modified recipe.

Explore the idea of no roads and "hidden portals" and maybe 1 portal near spawn, rather than the crowding around portals/roads that occurs currently.  Adding beds, I think, could add an interesting element of a "city" or two developing... The idea has been trying to take off the last few revs.  I think it'd be neat to bring a bed and setup an offensive outpost nearby the castle walls... You can see where this is going, with roads... I don't see it.

Create a "jail" room for players who ask stupid questions that demonstrate they didn't read the rules when they joined - Complete with the rules scattered all over the walls to be teleported to.

Provide clarity in the rules regarding land claims.  I don't always install Rei's and often build part of my base underground not realizing it isn't under my claim.  Later someone claims the topside land and wants to lay claim to my spawner... It never goes well from there.

Continue to break away from the, "We want to be as close to Vanilla as possible," mentallity.  It is doing you wonders to implement the unique plugins you are.

Edit a few mob spawners to be creeper-spawners as was done this rev.  We like our splashy potions.

Clarify in the rules that grief bait only exists in a doorway, typically with pistons (if anything is going to be grief bait).  Building your house out of bookshelves or smoothstone is a strategic move, not something that should have so much debate around it.  It is even recommended in the survival introduction guide - and I stand by its recommendation.  The concept we have of grief is something unique to this server and an attraction that keeps me here.  Telling me replacing my smooth wall with cobble after breaking in for PvP isn't grief... Burns my briches.

Include on one of the signs at spawn that LWC has a help menu, people don't realize it.  Knowing you can create a group and give your entire clan permissions... Blows my mind but makes me want to be in the situation to utilize such knowledge.

Encourage more concepts from PvE to bleed over, including their player-base.  Really.  This whole us and them thing or they play this way and we play that way... I joined the Nerd community on P as S was a bunch of jerks when I joined.  I then played a CTF where by some magical coincidence I had a large advantage and came to be respected for PvP abilities.  I then tried to blend into S as PvP was a new-found fun addition to my minecraft playing.  This banter of people play S for the PvP is arguable.  I play it to have unqiue interactions like being killed while trading, or being gunned down randomly while I run resources, or when I am planning on it.  But I play here for the plugins, the people, the experience as a whole.  Much better alternatives exist for, "I want to PvP, right now."  This can be part of our niche, but not our niche.

• Upvote 7

Oh, I left out a thought, thank you very much for asking for our feedback and truly giving it thought.  I see a lot of polls, and usually the topic we're in isn't created by admins but rather an unruly player base.  You're truly executives sporting the loss of a tie, but keeping the collar on the shirt.

• Upvote 4

Guest Former Staff

+1 to Texas, summed up every suggestion I had.

There are some great ideas in there worth considering.

I have another rough idea to put into the mix, though I'm unsure of the consequences.

How about having some form of 'forced' clans from the start of the revision, whether that be four main clans (as an example) which will help people to work together within their respective clans and encourage more pvp / base attacks in a targetted way. This idea runs a little from the way teams were set up during the first Capture the Flag event if anyone recalls this.

-While people could be forced into one of these four clans to begin with, there could be some timeframe for people to leave and create their own, or to leave whenever they wish.

-There would need to be a large majority on-board with this idea, willing to jump into this, for it to have a chance of success.

I'd like to hear other opinions on all of the suggestions so far.

How about having some form of 'forced' clans from the start of the revision, whether that be four main clans (as an example) which will help people to work together within their respective clans and encourage more pvp / base attacks in a targetted way. This idea runs a little from the way teams were set up during the first Capture the Flag event if anyone recalls this.

I like this idea quite a lot, and had a clan-encouraging idea earlier. From my conversation with MrLoud15 earlier:

<Synergetrick> Alright so the tl;dr of my idea is using the dyed leather armor as uniform-esque armor for the clans. Each leader nominates a color, members of the clan who wear said color get a particular set of buffs as configured by the server staff (so any/all players wearing their clan's colors will receive this buff), and the level of protection could be pushed out to be equal to diamond armor.

<Synergetrick> May have to modify the recipe though to make that last part balanced.

<Synergetrick> Initially I extended the idea so that players not in that particular clan can't wear the armor (it simply cancels the event and notifies the player in chat), but I think that's probably a bad idea.

Oh I recall the first CTF.  I recall this forced pairing was a disaster and one-two teams rose as a super-power (while half of even these teams was sabotage or just not into it).  I also think this is an interesting idea, but far from our current concept of S.  If we were exploring this idea, I'd be begging for a CTF concept to go with it rather than the traditional S theme.

To answer your concern of people being on-board... I don't think you have enough of the player base coming on this forum or the subreddit to accomplish this - and agree this would be a requirement for success.

• Upvote 1

To answer your concern of people being on-board... I don't think you have enough of the player base coming on this forum or the subreddit to accomplish this - and agree this would be a requirement for success.

One thing we've found successful on P: When we make a new forum topic, add a link to it into the rotating [server] messaged (admins can do this now!). Also, we broadcast it (P has a worship for broadcast). This allows all who don't normally venture to the forums to be able to see it and click it. Recently, we've had a few links at the same time pointing to the forums, so we hope to see an increased amount of traffic from the P playerbase.

• Upvote 1

One thing we've found successful on P: When we make a new forum topic, add a link to it into the rotating [server] messaged (admins can do this now!). Also, we broadcast it (P has a worship for broadcast). This allows all who don't normally venture to the forums to be able to see it and click it. Recently, we've had a few links at the same time pointing to the forums, so we hope to see an increased amount of traffic from the P playerbase.

To that end, perhaps we can explore Barlimore's suggestion in a future revision after utilizing this suggestion!

Guest Former Staff

I also think this is an interesting idea, but far from our current concept of S.  If we were exploring this idea, I'd be begging for a CTF concept to go with it rather than the traditional S theme.

This is a really important point to make, the suggestion would have a very different feel on the gameplay. I feel that if it was planned out well enough, it could be a success however it would change the gameplay of survival.

-----------------------------------

I noticed there there doesn't appear to be too much discussion from Texas' ideas from the original two posts, instead there are upvotes. This is great, clearly your ideas are in-tune with areas of the community. To those who do like Texas' ideas, of these, which are the most important to consider?

There are some great ideas in there worth considering.

I have another rough idea to put into the mix, though I'm unsure of the consequences.

-While people could be forced into one of these four clans to begin with, there could be some timeframe for people to leave and create their own, or to leave whenever they wish.

-There would need to be a large majority on-board with this idea, willing to jump into this, for it to have a chance of success.

I'd like to hear other opinions on all of the suggestions so far.

This actually sounds like a really fun and useful idea. It would introduce new players to a whole new world of interaction with their peers, and would also forge many friendships among those of us already playing. (and vice versa.) 

However it may be hard to come up with a good way to introduce it to S, mainly due to the large variety of player interests. On one hand, allowing players to drop out whenever they wish could effectively destroy the purpose of it, with there being not enough participants able to keep it running to a purpose. On another hand, not allowing players to leave clans could force them into PvP which they would much rather avoid at all costs, effectively destroying the fun for them and putting them in tough, unwanted situations time and time again. I can definitely see it being an engaging activity in the future and would push hard for it to be brought in, but I do feel that it can either - A: Make player's experiences be far more lively, active and enjoyable, or B: Pressure and scare players away from the servers to escape the PvP. I think a poll would be real good on this, it'd be quite interesting.

Edited by EeHee2000

If the people who don't want to PVP had somewhere they could work for their clan, protected by the people who do want to PVP, it would be a diverse community. Even if it was something predictable like an obvious castle in each quadrant, it would encourage battles between larger groups of people, with more purpose. When the invaders get into the castle they attack the non-PVPers who may choose to fight back, and enjoy it. If they die, the invaders get a reward for getting so far in.

I'll add now that I do mean for the castles to be player made. Look at Vinhaven for an idea of what can be put up quickly when people want to get something up.

Edited by tobylane

All I see above is the suggestion for a three-team long-term CTF lasting 45-60 days with the implementation of the unique plugins we possess coupled with random team assignments.  The Flag holding area would be pre-built but everything else would be player-driven with a much smaller No Mans Land, in order to support a larger unique-ness to the builds.  A PvE area for mining and farming (maybe with PvP enabled) with Survival rules (debating if this is break and replace walls or chaos rules for grief of the defense structures) for the remaining middle-grounds.  A week's prep time before PvP is enabled and/or before team-specific end-of-world borders are lifted.  We would need to tweek the timing of flag drops and stick to a single flag steal area, rather than 2.  Perhaps a requirement of a minimum number of players logged in for flag-spawning to deter 2 man raids at odd hours of the night.

I'd recommend this pursuit if unable to revive the survival population upon the launch of the next rev, or if we're feeling highly radical.

Guest Former Staff

Maybe I'm being a little harsh in thinking this way, so I'd like to hear from people on both sides of the fence on this;

I keep hearing about those people who don't want to pvp, but isn't this what survival is about? Not pvping is for the PvE server (unless you wish to partake in an arena). Staying on-point, we need to set some expectations for what the survival server is for, is it a survival-pvp server or is it a survival server with haphazard pvp? What would people like it to include or aim for?

Maybe I'm being a little harsh in thinking this way, so I'd like to hear from people on both sides of the fence on this;

I keep hearing about those people who don't want to pvp, but isn't this what survival is about? Not pvping is for the PvE server (unless you wish to partake in an arena). Staying on-point, we need to set some expectations for what the survival server is for, is it a survival-pvp server or is it a survival server with haphazard pvp? What would people like it to include or aim for?

You couldn't be more right here. This is - and always has been - a highly controversial debate. Whilst some say that the PvP-goers make it impossible to exist on the servers, others say that this is the point and reason for PvP in the first place. Both of these sides drive people away occasionally, the non-PvPers getting sick of the PvPers, and vice versa. However, you are correct in what you've said. Survival is the PvP server - we PvP on there. What I'm hoping for is if this entire clan addition is introduced, players cannot drop out of clans, thus enforcing the PvP. Players'll just have to suck it up and work together to live. 

If the people who don't want to PVP had somewhere they could work for their clan, protected by the people who do want to PVP, it would be a diverse community. Even if it was something predictable like an obvious castle in each quadrant, it would encourage battles between larger groups of people, with more purpose. When the invaders get into the castle they attack the non-PVPers who may choose to fight back, and enjoy it. If they die, the invaders get a reward for getting so far in.

I'll add now that I do mean for the castles to be player made. Look at Vinhaven for an idea of what can be put up quickly when people want to get something up.

I really agree with this. This needs to start happening. For the past year, give or take, S has been full of whining and "stop killing me" players. Some of these players are actually raising good and important points, but the majority is just asking S to become P. I'll wait to see what you guys think.

In my opinion I say keep PvP enabled in all areas of the map, no safe area. If people want to stay safe and only PvP when they feel like it, then they can use PvP arenas on P. I think we just need to make a noticeable, hard to miss sign/notice at spawn pretty much saying something along the lines of "PvP happens, you may probably most likely will die, so don't get angry about it".

Hello guys,

It is Doctor Manta in all my evil villain-ness that is here right now, I'm here to cause not destruction or chaos. But to propose ideas and add to the brainstorm that is the Rev 23 Survival Server. 

For my idea, this will be quite different to what people are normally used to on the server but I feel like this would be a direction to bring back the community and bring a lot more interest into the survival server once again.

The first proposal is spawn it's self.

Spawn is only accessable on the initial time someone logs into the server, there it provides the book and guide to all that is survival, all the rules that are needed and a rundown on the basics. All the usual things you'll see in spawn, with this though after all of that we bring the first thing people are not used to. No more roads or cardinal directions. Instead the first time coming out of spawn you'll get to press a button that randomly teleports you on the map to a place above ground ontop of grass. This is only available once on your initial spawn into the server, from there if you die it brings you to the next major feature.

Graveyard Respawns will be scattered around the map. Usually two in a quadrant, these are going to be respawn points that people spawn at when someone dies. And when someone dies, the graveyard respawn point is chosen randomly out of the closest three points, this makes it harder for not only camping, but adds a bit more challenge in navigation and adds to the map being more unknown and vast.

Example of Graveyard Respawns

To add to this, the portals will not be at the locations of these portals and instead portals will be much more random across the map, aiming to get rid of cardinal roads and make them a thing of the past and pushing survival into much more a survival PvP aspect and taking out a centralized point for PvP.

The next thing to add into survival is a little more in the route that PvE is but adds some more modivation and aspect to survival and that is a Progressive Storyline giving the server more depth and things for users to discover, with this it brings oppourtunities for the map generation at the start of the revision a more custom feel to it and with more unique terrain generation, we can also add in story stuff such as ruins of clans and builds from past revisions as showing the history of the server, these would of course be either home to portals or used as a tactical refuge for people.

With that too another major aspect to bring to the server would be Event Dungeons that can be accessed over a limited time period at any time say within a two week span, and these event dungeons go along with the whole storyline complete with customized spawners for mobs (including more powerful mobs than usual) that can have no loot or xp drops but also add the element of an end goal to the dungeons with loot that add to the lore of the game from unique weapons and items with non-vanilla enchantments or anything along those lines. Also giving incentives to people to explore things like this and once the time period is over, the entrance is collapsed and the dungeon is no longer usable. But then we can move onto the next dungeon that's made somewhere on the map.

Loot can be handeled via. a plugin that gives everyone an opourtunity to get an item in the end, providing the same item for each person and also giving people who get in there early and even more grand prize. This gives incentives for not only early birds but also other people going there throughout the whole time the dungeon is active, and well. making it one per person can be done too.

Basically, this pushes the server into a unique feel kind of like the lines of more an RPG feel while keeping clans/pvp and all the things we like from previous maps, but also then gives us access to being more secret where base locations are and centralized points of contact that become major issues in the past.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out.

That's my idea.

• Upvote 2