Hard Mode on PvE, revisited

buzzie71

Hard Mode on PvE, revisited  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see PvE switch to Hard mode?

• Yes, just like it was for the last week!
    • Yes, but only certain aspects of Hard mode from the last week!
    • No, PvE should stay on Normal mode!

As per the results of last week's poll, we have run Hard mode on PvE for a week to see how it goes before taking a vote again now.  At time of writing, PvE is still on Hard difficulty, though that should be toned down to Normal shortly after this is posted.

So with the last week's trial period in mind, decide: would you like to see PvE switch to Hard mode (what has been running on the server for the last week), some sort of partial Hard mode where some aspects of Hard mode are implemented while others are not (for example, higher attack damage from mobs but no starving) or stay on the usual Normal difficulty that has historically been the norm on PvE?

If you choose partial Hard mode (the second choice), please leave your thoughts about it in the comments below: what features of Hard mode do you want to see implemented, and what features of Hard mode do you want to leave out?  If this becomes the most popular option, we'll be sure to get some particular discussion or a poll going about the specifics of this unique mode; once that's been decided on, then we can see if it's possible for us to implement it.

Please note that we make no guarantees about the implementation of partial Hard mode, and failing to find a way to implement it and balance it with lag reduction (more plugins will lead to more lag), we will fall back onto Normal difficulty.  That said, you have our assurances that we will make every attempt to implement it should that be the most popular option.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we will end the poll on Sunday 23:59:59 EDT.  The topic should close at that time, but discussion of the results will likely continue elsewhere past that time.  Stay tuned!

• Upvote 2

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it was kind of interesting.

On the other hand it was just annoying. Its not like it was all that hard, it just made it so you had to have good armour on while working outdoors at night. And having to fight waves of zombies while working on my buildings got really annoying.

• Upvote 2

Statistics: there were 117 starvation deaths recorded during our week long test.

How many total deaths?

About 2604 totals deaths, so less than five percent were due to starvation.

("About" because this number was generated via a large regex query of all possible death messages over the past week, then subtracting chat lines that weren't death messages (but just talking about death messages.)

• Upvote 1

("About" because this number was generated via a large regex query of all possible death messages over the past week, then subtracting chat lines that weren't death messages (but just talking about death messages.)

I'm curious now, is it possible to compare this number to that of another week? Perhaps the week immediately preceding the hard mode week?

I think we aren't the right subset of P players to answer this question. I don't know how to reach the newbs and so on, so I won't insist on that.

Can it be tied to TPS in some way? Start a new rev in Normal, when there is a two-hour period of TPS over 20 (which is something like a week after the start) change to hard?

If you want a challenge with things trying to kill you, go play on S.  

if I wanted to watch a guy camp spawn with a diamond sword I'd go to youtube. Now when you get sick of artificial difficulty and want a real challenge, try this - http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/fun-hard-mode/

P has dopplegangers, wither-strength mobs in full diamond. I think that means other than the dragon that P and S both have, P has the stronger enemy,

No need to derail this topic with server competition :P

I for one really enjoyed hard mode, starving and all. I prefer to run around with no armor, and hard mode actually gives a bit of a proper challenge to taking down a mob cluster. 

• Upvote 1

I play on P in order to relax and escape the responsibilities of "real life".  To me, that often involves roaming aimlessly with nothing in inventory and half of a heart, for hours, discovering different parts of the map and other people's creations.

If traveling with the intent to build somewhere or mine, of course we will all bring food to keep our health up.  But from the point of view of someone who is often a "wanderer", hunger deaths are not a part of the game I enjoy.

• Upvote 2

I play on P in order to relax and escape the responsibilities of "real life".  To me, that often involves roaming aimlessly with nothing in inventory and half of a heart, for hours, discovering different parts of the map and other people's creations.

If traveling with the intent to build somewhere or mine, of course we will all bring food to keep our health up.  But from the point of view of someone who is often a "wanderer", hunger deaths are not a part of the game I enjoy.

There is a very large farm on the South side of spawn, it is completely public and free to use! Just stop by, harvest, replant, and run off. Heck, if you don't want to Harvest and replant, go to the tower right next to it and grab a stack of melons or several and then run off. Finding food is incredibly easy, there are public farms and food stands everywhere.
  • Upvote 2

Carry a stack of food. Almost everywhere I go has public farms. Even spawn has one...

• Upvote 2

I'm curious now, is it possible to compare this number to that of another week? Perhaps the week immediately preceding the hard mode week?

I tried a few times to come up with a number, but it's not easy to comb through the older dataset. I'll try again on Tuesday in an attempt to get a number for the week after hardmode.

• Upvote 1

I tried a few times to come up with a number, but it's not easy to comb through the older dataset. I'll try again on Tuesday in an attempt to get a number for the week after hardmode.

There were 2094 total deaths in the week after hard mode that we were back on normal.

Oh, and per the results of this poll, we're back on hard mode, as of now. Thanks everyone for voting and participating in the discussion!

• Upvote 1