A follow up to "Discussion on transparency and staff at mcpublic"

thrawn21

Now that it seems this thread has run its course, I wanted to have a bit of a wrap up, with the results being put into action :D

What I did was go through each comment and try to distill the argument down to where it would fit in a few categories, and I tallied them up as such:

• Selecting new mods, server and head admins should remain as it is: 12 people
  • Handling contentious ban appeals should remain as it is: 11 people
  • (All or a selection of) mods and admins should vote on contentious bans: 4 people
  • (All or some) mods and admins should vote on new heads: 3 people
  • All players should be able to vote on all staff selections: 2 people
  • All players should be able to vote on mod selections: 2 people
  • Discussions with bans and voting should be public: 2 people
  • All players should be able to vote on head selections: 1 person
  • Anyone should be able to nominate staff to be voted upon: 1 person
  • There should be a community vote on mods separate from the mod vote: 1 person
  • Head admins should be bound to a constitution: 1 person 

The participants in that discussion heavily favored leaving how we handle contentious ban appeals and selecting new staff as it is now.

However I do feel (and got the general feeling that others do too) that we need to emphasize that any player is welcome to bring suggestions to staff regarding either of these two subjects. With Barlimore's departure, I want to get us back up a full capacity of head admins as soon as we can, and I want your help! If you have any ideas/suggestions of good candidates for the position, let me know (and I've already gotten a few from a range of people)!

I am contactable through:

• Irc: I have a znc set up, which allows me to receive messages even if I'm not online, and I'll nearly always be idling in #RedditMC
    • If you don't know how to get on irc open this web client, click on Game Surge in the sidebar, and type in #RedditMC for the channel.
  • Email: either 21thrawn@gmail.com or admins@nerd.nu (which goes to all of the admins)
  • Reddit: either msg me personally or msg the subreddit mod mail (which goes to all of the mods)
    • If you'd like to do it completely anonymously, this is probably your best bet. I'm trusting people not to spam names with anon accounts (and if you do, it'll be pretty obvious :P)
  • Forums: send me a msg here
  • In-game: send me /mail on PvE, and I'll see it in a day or two, or /msg me if I'm online.
  • Mumble: My least favorite method of talking about serious things, as I have difficulty concentrating on mumble conversations if I'm doing *anything* else, but you're still welcome to go this route. 

Also, to keep everyone in the loop, we've wrapped up the latest mod nomination thread, and will proceed to voting tomorrow. For all future selections of new mods, or selecting for an open admin position, suggestions will be welcome from all players, and it is my goal to have a notification thread up for the general public in each case. 

• Upvote 9

The participants in that discussion heavily favored leaving how we handle contentious ban appeals and selecting new staff as it is now.

I no longer have much stake in the matter, but it seemed pertinent to note that you apparently tallied things up based solely on comments people made and not at all based on the upvotes/downvotes (which clearly applies to agree/disagree) on those comments. If those had been taken into account, I'm sure those numbers would be significantly different, although I cannot say whether or no the overall consensus would change.

Furthermore, when 12 people out of a server that gets over a thousand (I believe in the thousands, no, totemo?) uniques have an opinion, that's not exactly anything close to majority. It's not even close to a consensus. I don't really see how you can base anything at all off that.

• Upvote 6

I no longer have much stake in the matter, but it seemed pertinent to note that you apparently tallied things up based solely on comments people made and not at all based on the upvotes/downvotes (which clearly applies to agree/disagree) on those comments. If those had been taken into account, I'm sure those numbers would be significantly different, although I cannot say whether or no the overall consensus would change.

Furthermore, when 12 people out of a server that gets over a thousand (I believe in the thousands, no, totemo?) uniques have an opinion, that's not exactly anything close to majority. It's not even close to a consensus. I don't really see how you can base anything at all off that.

I think thrawn knows this was not in anyway a large majority of players but MOST players have no idea about the subreddit let alone the forums. You're asking her to go out of her way questioning non active (outside of in game) players just to see if they have an opinion.

Edited by CROCKODUCK
  • Upvote 1

I think thrawn knows this was not in anyway a large majority of players but MOST players have no idea about the subreddit let alone the forums. You're asking her to go out of her way questioning non active (outside of in game) players just to see if they have an opinion.

There are such things as in-game polls, you know. They did one in rev 9.

Also, using MOTD one could easily set up a link to a decent poll and get some actual information rather than dismissing concerns based on a minority opinion.

• Upvote 2

There are such things as in-game polls, you know. They did one in rev 9.

Also, using MOTD one could easily set up a link to a decent poll and get some actual information rather than dismissing concerns based on a minority opinion.

Alright true, of course it is highly unlikely that a new player on C would know about the current mod selection and nomination process. So all the in game poll really does is mostly alter the honesty part of the poll. This argument could really go either way but I see your point. If there was a happy medium between finding a way to ask players who know the processes and feel they need to be changed and then those who would see the in game link and happen to click it to find out, but not have any idea or personal opinion of what needs change.

• Upvote 3