Post your ideas here (Creative mostly)

buzzinbee

The aim of this is to group ideas into 1 thread thus making it easier for us to note down what the community wants, also to allow users to upvote ideas in one location to help prioritise them and also to allow the users to see that we are listening to their input. So post any ideas you have for creative into this thread, you may pm me on the forums if you don't want to make a public post. Ideas brought up in here shall be discussed with the other CAdmins and then depending on the topic moved over to the archives to allow players to see the outcomes of the discussions. I know this is primarily creative based however if you would like to add in input for any other aspects of the server that could do with changing/removing/improving then feel free to put it down.here. Please keep suggestions serious and I will review them and hopefully we can improve our community as a whole from this. :)

• Upvote 3

Okay here's some ideas/suggestions/critiques of the current C revision that I have compiled over the past month or so.

Spawn

Don't get me wrong, spawn is amazing.  You guys did a great job in preparing the spawn and it looks great.  The spawn secrets are everywhere and I still am finding (and building) new ones to this day.  That being said, I have some issues with spawn and how it is set up.  Here are some things in spawn that I think need improvement or could be changed for next revision:

1: When a player first logs into our server, if he doesn't see the warp signs, he goes through the rules room and then through a maze of dark corridors and then finds himself in the basement of the CTA building.  The tracks all just go to a stone wall.  If nobody is on to tell me how to /warp or /randloc, at this point I probably get bored and move on to a different server.

2: Spawn plots were not done well on this revision.  I totally am for a spawn city, but this one is just bad.  The whole area being color coded made the whole landscape look weird.  To add on to that, the roads are the same block type as the plots, and many plots don't have a road on any sides.  So I got a plot for a house, but there is no road on any side, I don't even know which way to build it.  Next time predetermined plots are fine, but keep completely colored plots out and have a better road system in place.

3: The spawn city is a mess now.  Lots of plots were claimed but never "reclaimed" by the admins after they did not build in it.  Many of the builds were started but have not been touched in over a month.  I would love to see this fixed but I'm not sure how.  Maybe having speed builds or contests to make the area look better.

4: No clue what is going on with railways.  CTA is deserted with no lines at all, other people are building their own private lines.  Do we just seal the CTA up or keep the empty lines right outside of the spawn area?  I know whenever I go down the lines it is usually just griefed where it is unprotected.

Warps

1: /warp bigtown has some random colored plots and a ton of builds that have nothing to do with statues around it.  Marting and I attempted to build some statues to get other people to follow but so far nothing.  

2: /warp pixelart looks great.  No complaints here.  It's nice seeing it not on Ice like it usually is.

Events/Community

1: /warp Soleil seems to be a great community project, but for some reason participation has slowed.  I would like to see it advertised a bit more, both here and on /r/mcpublic.  

2: I would really love to see more community events to get people working together and having fun.  I know speed builds have been discussed and I am all for that.

3: To add on to #1, just a bigger presence in /r/mcpublic in general.  Barely any posts from C are there.

I guess these are less of a discussion and more of my insight of things that I think need to change in order to make C a better place to play.  Feel free to discuss these, tell me I'm wrong or right, etc.

~LetsB

• Upvote 4

Thank you for the reply LetsB, I am pleased that you brought up some of these points. It is a problem for new players, next spawn I shall keep in mind a new player joining and make it signed better to allow them to go about getting out easier. Do you think using more ordinary blocks for spawn city would be a good solution to the odd landscape problem? we could also scrap the plots that aren't next to roads and make them gardens ect. CTA is my fault I will have to step away from leading it and allow someone with more time on their hands to organise that. The warps are a problem, next revision I shall try to add plots straight away, protect it and add child regions. We could re add the rules for big town this would allow us to know for sure that a statue will be properly built. We can possibly add a section to the map to move builds that do not follow rules for areas such as 3D builds in pixel art I will discuss that with the other CAdmins. For community projects I'd say once an hour is an ok rate to /broadcast about it, moderators could be encouraged to advertise community projects (not excessively) and maybe we could reintroduce the idea of prizes inside the projects e.g. steam gifts ect. In terms of the creative presence on r/mcpublic that is up to the players themselves you can use the subreddit for advertising community builds showing off your projects or arranging meetings or games. That is up to you guys. I hope these would be suitable compromises for some of the problems you have brought up any thoughts on these suggestions would be useful and I will discuss it with the other CAdmins.

I am unsure of what the status of mcpublic's youtube account is, but I would think that some more videos, even from players would really bring more people in, along with showing off the amazing things the server has to offer!

Funny you would bring that up I was thinking the exact same last night. In my opinion the reason that there are few videos is that only a couple of players have the youtube account, perhaps adding a few more staff members to youtube perms would enable us to get more done. Also we would have to advertise it more as we need players to submit videos for it. My computer is useless when it comes to recording so if anyone has a video they would like to submit just send it away :) just remember to ask permission of the players involved in the video for them to be in it.

I have to adamantly agree with whst LetsB has said about spawn,  especially point number 3.

Okay here's some ideas/suggestions/critiques of the current C revision that I have compiled over the past month or so.

Spawn

Don't get me wrong, spawn is amazing.  You guys did a great job in preparing the spawn and it looks great.  The spawn secrets are everywhere and I still am finding (and building) new ones to this day.  That being said, I have some issues with spawn and how it is set up.  Here are some things in spawn that I think need improvement or could be changed for next revision:

1: When a player first logs into our server, if he doesn't see the warp signs, he goes through the rules room and then through a maze of dark corridors and then finds himself in the basement of the CTA building.  The tracks all just go to a stone wall.  If nobody is on to tell me how to /warp or /randloc, at this point I probably get bored and move on to a different server.

2: Spawn plots were not done well on this revision.  I totally am for a spawn city, but this one is just bad.  The whole area being color coded made the whole landscape look weird.  To add on to that, the roads are the same block type as the plots, and many plots don't have a road on any sides.  So I got a plot for a house, but there is no road on any side, I don't even know which way to build it.  Next time predetermined plots are fine, but keep completely colored plots out and have a better road system in place.

3: The spawn city is a mess now.  Lots of plots were claimed but never "reclaimed" by the admins after they did not build in it.  Many of the builds were started but have not been touched in over a month.  I would love to see this fixed but I'm not sure how.  Maybe having speed builds or contests to make the area look better.

4: No clue what is going on with railways.  CTA is deserted with no lines at all, other people are building their own private lines.  Do we just seal the CTA up or keep the empty lines right outside of the spawn area?  I know whenever I go down the lines it is usually just griefed where it is unprotected.

~ KD8

I'd just like to make it known that I've re-wrote this very post about six times now feeling I've been too rude or too offensive, and in fear of being banned due to it. So if something doesn't make sense or I seem offensive, I am sorry but I am not re-writing it again. You can comment about concerns.

The current map is very bland outside of the very colorful spawn, it doesn't inspire me to want to build anything really. It's just curvy plains with a mountain range. very little trees, very little forest, feels very unrealistic to a normal societal environment. I feel next revisions map should be made from a full seed rather than worldpainted from a flatland map.

Spawn is very difficult to navigate. Now, I wont lie, the whole underground basement was a cool idea. But I feel the idea doesn't work in terms of a spawn. Players don't enjoy spawning in this very dark and enclosed area where they are forced to either use the uninviting warp signs or navigate a very long and extensive maze to get out. Only to find themselves in the back area of an unfinished train station. I feel that these should be more of the secrets of spawn, and the players should simply spawn on the center of the circle in the garden. Likewise, it should include a physical version of the rulebook, showing banned blocks, and what-not. While I know that a board of rules rarely works, I find more people are going to see the sign than the book which they don't even have to open at all. So in short, all future spawns are directly connected to open air, and you can see the world (from spawn, or a few steps from spawn).

As letsb said about spawn city, it needs a bit of help. albite I was completely hesitant at first about a spawn city, I will say that the format we have for them is excellent, where its plots only a few hundred blocks around spawn, however they must be flatter, and very well organized, perhaps an established format for roads for future versions.

I discussed the CTA with you in game, well suggestion in a nutshell: All future CTA's are community builds built with guidance by staff however not entirely by staff, as well as fully multi-station lines, preferably cardinal lines and loop lines however that isn't entirely required.

Since in the 3M meeting cyotie told us that C would get a testing server for testing a retro creative: survival mode, no flight, spawn blocks. I would like to suggest that Actual C get faster flight options. I know in the past this has been rejected because griefers could use it to grief more... But I'd like to bring to the table a few things in response, 1. Most griefers wont find that command anyways. 2. We can roll it back instantly 3. In the wise words of one of google's founders: " It is better to think for the benefit of the consumer  than the company" true players are the consumers in this quote, and the server is the company. Yes not having it protects us from a slightly enhanced form of grief, but really, it would make building so much easier.

A suggestion I had during the 3M meeting to perhaps bring back more players was a hub server for all 3, I was told we had one in the past, however it went without success. When I asked players who were present during it, they said it served no purpose because each server still had direct links, and all new players still found us via direct links because the hub link was rarely spoken of and not listed. Perhaps we should consider a new hub server on the newer Minecraft that is where all 3: C, P, S forward to, and use that hub as a means of showing new players that we have multiple servers, as well as showing off for events (or nostalgia days something i will request later). A hub server would also allow us to have something cool to decorate for holidays rather than each servers spawn(which we get lazy and never do anymore... or it remains christhahanakwanzikadan all year). 

My last modification to the server suggestion would be make 2 separate lists of warps... ./builds which would allow us to find builds that need to be worked on such as community builds, and ./warps which are finished builds that are intended to impress people on the server.

other suggestions, to touch on what crockoduck said, YouTube videos are great, we can look at servers like craftedmovie and they are extremely popular because of their YouTube channel. while we probably wont go into 3D animation and voice acting, perhaps simply exploring the server with some REALLY bad-ass shaders and texture packs would be cool, as well as taking tons of high res images with them to post to our website/forum/subreddit to perhaps attract more people. I mean, lets face it, nerd.nu(website)'s images are very outdated.... rev 15 creative boat spawn as pve, rev 14 creative spawn as C, and the very edge of rev 15 creative's map for S... we're on rev 25 and rev 24's spleef stadium would cause rev 14's spawn to tremble in fear :P

Oh, and referring back to nostalgia days, this would be a map we would have attached to a portal on the hub which would allow us to revisit 1 different previous revision of any of the 5 servers we have had per week, editing it wouldn't be allowed unless the map was under chaos, but exploring previous revs_ IS AWESOME _and everyone loves seeing C's previous revs.

• Upvote 4

I really don't understand why people have such a hard time with getting out of the spawn. It's 4 hallways, with one break in them. It's not that difficult. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that people don't want to walk/fly all the way through them, and lazily just say that they cannot get out.

There are signs within the first chamber reminding you to use your rulebook, as well as displays showing what blocks you can modreq for. However, it seems that players are no longer spawning with a rulebook in their inventory. This needs to be fixed.

The point made about the warp signs being "uninviting" or "easy to miss" is irrelevant. There are two sets of signs, both on the sides of the only door leading out of the spawn room. They cannot be missed, and are properly illuminated. The only people that would miss them are the same ones who would have "missed" reading the rule boards in previous revisions. Sort of a blanket observation to make, I know, but that seems to fit the norm.

To quote nickeox on a point that was brought up, "Since in the 3M meeting cyotie told us that C would get a testing server for testing a retro creative: survival mode, no flight, spawn blocks. I would like to suggest that Actual C get faster flight options. I know in the past this has been rejected because griefers could use it to grief more... But I'd like to bring to the table a few things in response, 1. Most griefers wont find that command anyways. 2. We can roll it back instantly 3. In the wise words of one of google's founders: " It is better to think for the benefit of the consumer  than the company" true players are the consumers in this quote, and the server is the company. Yes not having it protects us from a slightly enhanced form of grief, but really, it would make building so much easier."

The first point on that I'd like to make is about the speed addition, which I've talked about in game multiple times. The problem with speed varying isn't whether griefers will find it or not, the issue is with our protection plugins distinguishing between a client's variation on speeds & the command being used for speed. If we change the allowed properties, it will subsequently have to change when blocks being broken in an abnormal context is detected, how a player's movement is controlled (to prevent abnormal movement, ie extreme speedhacks), and will generally allow more buffer room for griefers/hackers/modders/etc to fly under our radar. Yes, I can completely understand that you'd like to be able to dig a little faster, or to get from one place to another just a second sooner, but in regards to our security these changes seem to have more potential for harm than one would care to even consider allowing. Faster speeds don't just mean destroying more, it could mean placing more. Well-versed griefing teams know that layering their groups edits creates more of a hassle for the people to clean it up. With this is mind, the last thing we'd want to allow is for them to move around & perform their "fun" faster.

I'd also like to point out the fact that people already have an option for building in "vanilla" creative (without flight, with /i commands), and while some may want the entirety of the server to be made to that fashion, there's no reason to make an entirely new server, even as a testing area, for a method of gameplay that already exists, at least in my mind. It all seems like extra work for something that already exists, like trying to prove that an apple isn't an orange.

The spawn city is, and always has been, a terrific idea. However, the previous comments touch on a lot of good points. The roads are made of clay, people refrain from re-skinning their allotted plots with grass/stone as was intended & instead just build on top of the clay, builds are left unfinished, the whole shebang. The road system definitely needs some work, as it is merely a path leading from the Garden, not an actual road as the urban setting would imply. This would mean moving some builds into other positions, expanding/shrinking some of the roads, etc etc. It's worth the effort though, there's some good stuff in there. The spawn city needs work, we can all agree on that.

I'm sure I've missed some points, but it's 7:30am, and I want some breakfast.

• Upvote 1

Rock:
Well Rock, unless KitchenSink or Lolno are a part of our security mods for flight, then it isn't too terribly hard. Nocheatplus only recently got the flightspeed check, likewise if we are using it on PVE and S for stopping flight hackers, we can just disable it on C, and instead add the playerclipevent.class which would act as our alternative for C.  It would send a warning if people are clipping through blocks. But regardless, its something more for the techs to consider because its a good and evil thing.

Although in terms of the test server, I do agree with you, I indeed brought it up too that we have a survival mode on C as it is, I suppose though it is the guise that only a few players will do it, while others will fly, and others more will switch between... The idea for a creative server in survival mode would FORCE them to all be flightless. While I myself am not a fan... I have heard many of our PVE and S visitors say... "Creative was more fun when we all worked together, like we did when we couldn't fly" I've also been told "The only reason I am on PVE is because it's the closest thing to old C, if only I had unlimited blocks" So I suppose the idea is slightly in a direction we may want to consider I mean, we are unique with our PVE server which is essentially S, but no pvp, maybe this is the popular alternative to C that we need? I mean, do I see it as a step backwards, yes. However They prove a point about the community aspect. Teamwork is very much lost in the post-flight C revisions. The lack of flight may bring teamwork back to C.

Buzzin:

Hehe yea, but the 5 prior revisions of the post made me feel as if I was directly attacking people, getting horribly angry, and being an all around pesty complainer.

• Upvote 1

Nick how would you feel if we had a half world painted half vanilla generated map, this would allow us to have the interesting normal terrain of vanilla minecraft and it would also allow us to incorporate things such as interesting volcanoes and custom biomes. I am not very sure how to work this on world painter however i'm sure thrawn would be willing to give me a few pointers and i'm fairly sure it's been brought up in one of her video lessons. In terms of the spawn I agree next spawn should be more open. We could still add in the detail that has gone into this spawn but people would prefer to be able to escape quickly especially after the 10th time of /spawn :P. The idea you had with /builds is a very interesting one and one i'd like to see implemented I think it would be an easy and quick way for players to get to community projects and I can see it being very useful. The hub idea I actually quite like, although it goes against what i thought to be traditional mcpublic ways I think the idea of unifying the servers together with a hub could help server relations. This will have to be discussed with all admins though as it is a huge change. In terms of flight speed I will have to discuss this with the other CAdmins and tech admins, it could be useful but as pointed out there may be some problems with it. Thank you very much for the feedback it will allow us to speed up the progress of creative a lot faster and should make it much more enjoyable for the player base in general :)

No problem, and in fact, that is exactly what I would like us to do with the next map, use an actual generated terrain map, then modify it with stuff like an extreme mountain  range and volcanoes, perhaps a small nether biome again. Referring back to the spawn yes, open spawns have been greatly appreciated if I recall the previous lengthy limited spawn was rev 14's islands as we couldn't fly then. I remember a lot of people getting angry about having to walk down all the stairs, when there was path right below the first island. I myself had even made a modreq to ask for a command to be made to have us warp to the end of the spawn, essentially on ground level 0,0. lpoql and p1ng both responded with excited agreement, however we had a rev change before implementing it. If we do have a complex spawn in the future, I do suggest a command to warp to the edge of it (even though i can now make a home myself) because it makes it feel more welcoming to the player to have the work done for them on things like that. 

While I agree, the hubserver wouldn't be MCpublic's normal way, it does have a few benefits. the first being that we can show All of our servers, the next being that we can forward player count, mcbouncer stuff into the hub world (we'd have like 200 people online at any given time because of the combined total) and we would be avoiding the silly traffic from those who simply go to the ban list websites and constantly find C to grief, or ask us if C has pvp... Instead they will reach an editable hub and see their choices clearly laid out. This can also be used to unify our worlds a bit too perhaps /mail could then be received on all 3 servers the same way. and perhaps I can then direct message and clanchat with someone cross-server too. A last potential advantage we could have from a HUB is that it would act a DDOS protection but that would rely on a ton of setup changes and would rather let tech decide on how useful and plausible that would be on our servers.

It's a lot more productive for us having so much bare, unforested lands. The revs seem short enough that we can just do the tree-dependant ideas next time when there is a suitable forest (say if we wanted roofed forest). I dislike gentle or very steep slopes. When the gradient is something like between 1 in 20 and 1 in 3, and between 1 in 2 and 2 in 1 it's difficult to use the land without reworking it to be within those bands (other people may have different bands, worth asking). I'd like most of the map to be like the pixel art area. The variations could be chains of hills, where each chain is only 50-200 blocks wide, and each chain could be a different height (not all snow-capped). The grass could vary in colour.

Spawn was not enjoyable. I was frustrated within 20 seconds and just flew around as fast as possible in every direction. I haven't been back to explore it yet, I intend to but I always did go back to previous rev spawns much sooner. The outside of spawn is wonderful, that was worth the effort and I hope people have the motivation to do something equally grand again.

For Spawn City I'd like to see only non-repetitive skyscrapers bordering spawn. This probably means worldediting them in from further out plots. What if we had all skyscrapers on one side of spawn city, medium buildings on the middle slice, and homes on the other side, so the roofs are a massive slope? I think this sort of cohesion suits a busy collaborative server like this.

A while ago there was mention of a worldguard patch that added a no-fly flag for regions, which wasn't accepted, then something positive happened. I haven't heard anything further on that, is that now usable? The region flag game-mode can be set to survival to not allow flying. This can be seen ingame at Cyotie's house, /home tobylane:cyotie. Is this something players can modreq for?

Edited by tobylane

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd BUMP this thread back up with an idea that popped into my head while digging in Soleil (the mind tends to wander).  It mainly concerns the CTA.  CTA has kind of petered out over time, and the reasons aren't too hard to determine.  There's little incentive to build it or use it.  The colored wool rail lines are kind of bland, misunderstandings/lack of information about how the rail system works discourage people from connecting their builds/cities, and of course, flying is faster than minecarts.

My idea hinges on the possibility of applying status effects within certain areas/regions.  I imagine a network of roads or tubes, rather than rail lines, in which something like Speed 10 is applied.  There are a couple disadvantages from rails over this; you can't AFK travel, you'd have to read direction signs to get to a destination, and your FOV gets pretty wide, for instance.  I think there are more advantages, though.  Since there would be no specific rail system, stations could be more varied and easier to integrate with the network.  Data systems would be unnecessary, players could stop whenever and wherever they want.  A strong enough Speed effect could be significantly faster than flying, encouraging use of the system.  Speed only applies when walking or running, so perhaps use of the CTA would encourage more ground traffic and scenic travel.

Somewhat related to this, I've also been thinking about how C (and the other servers) is dedicated to being as close to vanilla as feasible, and how we've tended to avoid adding certain things to stay true to that.  However, I think some of the more recent developments in Minecraft, particularly some of the new commands and command blocks, bring a lot more possibilities under the umbrella of "vanilla."  Obviously, command blocks and many of the new commands are far too dangerous to consider lightly, but I wonder if, perhaps during map setup at least, some of the newer functions of Minecraft could be included.  For example, the /playsound command adds a lot of options for affecting the environment of things (one option I've been toying with is for the CTA idea; if the lines are tubes, a sound like a creeper hiss played every 20 blocks could perhaps give the impression of being inside a pneumatic accelerator).  /setblock allows for vanilla map possibilities previously only available through WorldEdit (and looking forward, the coming update will also introduce /blockdata, /fill, and cubic regions for command blocks).

Alternatively, if command blocks are ultimately considered too risky, there are probably plugins that perform the same functions that we could look at.  Since these functions are now available in vanilla, I wouldn't call it breaking with the MCPublic tradition to add things like that, even if it doesn't rely on vanilla tech.

• Upvote 3

Changes announced here: http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/1w91r2/updates_on_creative/

Obviously this isn't all.  We would like to keep working with all of you and get more things implemented.  Keep the ideas flowing.  Some things to discuss:

More WE capabilities? (outlining circles)

Flyspeed?

Allowing Roleplay back in general chat

Flowing water being available to all players

Arrows being enabled for pvp

There are probably more I'm not thinking of right now. so post them!

Discuss/critique/tell me I'm wrong and stupid to consider these.

-LetsB

• Upvote 2

Flyspeed?

I agree with all of these except all players being able to place flowing water. I'm on the fence about this since it's be easy to grief as you have unlimited water. I can't think of a case where you need the water to be flowing immediately on C, so I don't think it'd matter too much if players can only place static water as long as there are active moderators around. I agree with all the other points you made since the pros outweigh the cons in all of them imo.

• Upvote 1

Changes announced here: http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/1w91r2/updates_on_creative/

Obviously this isn't all.  We would like to keep working with all of you and get more things implemented.  Keep the ideas flowing.  Some things to discuss:

Flyspeed?

There are probably more I'm not thinking of right now. so post them!

Discuss/critique/tell me I'm wrong and stupid to consider these.

-LetsB

really dislike the idea of allowing roleplaying in general chat again. I think the current clan chat system has been working very well and the players have been pretty good about keeping those things to clan chat. If this is the direction that people want to take the server in, then so be it, but unless you plan on making C a server dedicated to roleplay, then I'd suggest keeping the current system.

Aside from that, I like all the other ideas you brought up. I would like to see even more WE capabilities on this server. As long as it's set up in a way where it won't be abused, I'm all for anything that makes building less tedious. Far too many builds are started and scrapped, and I think if there was a faster, less boring way to do certain things, the number of unfinished builds would drop.

• Upvote 1

really dislike the idea of allowing roleplaying in general chat again. I think the current clan chat system has been working very well and the players have been pretty good about keeping those things to clan chat.

I can attest to this, I am a huge advocate for clanchat and would prefer that newer players get accustomed to using the chats. I've also been making several clanchats for a variety of topics that are completely public. I also have been trying to plan a build, "The Hall of Clanchats" which I would've like to be built close to spawn (if not in it) so new players can learn about the functions of clanchat and join any of the chats on the server, or contact the owners for an invite.Regardless, there will still be those who end up muted and immediately resume their antics after they get unmuted. Still, they shouldn't be allowed to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

What about having plots where limited world edit can be used? The event contest showed us that world edit, if kept to a small area, can be controlled without much of an issue. Maybe we could have limited areas for use of world edit commands! It would also let us see larger more impressive builds which in turn, could bring more players in to play on the servers.

What about having plots where limited world edit can be used? The event contest showed us that world edit, if kept to a small area, can be controlled without much of an issue. Maybe we could have limited areas for use of world edit commands! It would also let us see larger more impressive builds which in turn, could bring more players in to play on the servers.

We've already added in WorldEdit, just recently actually. It's been tweaked, just needs some instructions for new users.

We can't nessecarily make a gigantic ball of End Portals, but we can do nifty tricks like setting //pos '. 

For a while now, I think that people have misunderstood how WorldEdit works and why we're so reluctant to allow players to use many of its functions.

Currently, players can use a small set of commands. These commands only aid in selecting regions; there is no potential for filling areas with blocks or making edits of any kind. Players have full access to all commands which can be used to select areas (aside from /region select, a WorldGuard command, which may also be added soon); these commands are only useful in measuring distances/areas/volumes and visualizing cuboidal, polygonal, ellipsoidal, spherical, and cylindrical selections (with WECUI).

I'm not opposed to the idea itself of giving players increased access to WorldEdit; sure, it would be nice, but there are still many problems with it. As far as I can see, there are three options to choose from.

• Give all players limited access to WorldEdit.
    Restrictions:
    • Only give access to the //set and //replace commands.
    • Allow the operation only if the selection is completely contained within a region which the issuer is listed as an owner of.
    • Limit the number of block changes in each operation to, say, 1000 blocks.
    Advantages:
    • Players are able to WorldEdit their own regions, decreasing load on the staff.
    Disadvantages:
    • If not checked, players can spawn banned blocks (e.g. flowing water/lava)
    • It is difficult to roll back WorldEdit-induced grief.
    • WorldEdit logs cannot be easily accessed/interpreted.
    • Many people don't know what they're doing and will end up doing something they didn't want to.
  • Allow moderators to use WorldEdit for players.
    Restrictions:
    • Only allow use of the //set and //replace commands.
    • Limit the number of block changes in each operation to, say, 5000 blocks.
    Advantages:
    • Players still get the ability to have areas WorldEdited.
    • There is very little chance of grief or abuse.
    Disadvantages:
    • Operations are still not logged very well.
    • Moderator workload may increase, specifically with requests for clearing large areas of land.
  • Only allow admins to use WorldEdit for official purposes.
    Restrictions:
    • WorldEdit can only be used for official purposes (land disputes, contests, etc).
    Advantages:
    • No potential for grief or abuse.
    Disadvantages:
    • Players have no ability to have areas edited using WorldEdit.

...And I'm sure there are several other advantages and disadvantages to each plan which I'm not thinking of right now. We're currently under the third plan, which, from my experience, suits most people. However, if enough people really believe it necessary to allow WorldEdit in some form, I'm willing to consider the second plan. The first plan, however, has too many flaws for me to be comfortable with. My take on WorldEdit, if we were to allow it, is that it should be used for trivially busy tasks; namely, filling areas with blocks or clearing areas. While the tool does have the capacity for more complicated operations, I don't see that as its purpose; creativity and detail work should be left to the player, not some piece of software. Even for a complex yet objective task like building a dome or stacking a template, I don't really see WorldEdit commands as improving gameplay that much; that's why I'm in favor of only adding //set and //replace, if anything.

• Upvote 4

Again, i'm against the idea of allowing world edit on creative. Even if players are only allowed to WE small sections of land, what is to stop a lot of people getting together and WE all at once causing unwanted lag. The idea of having mods WE areas for you, replications of things such as walls given the fairly low numbers of mods on creative as it is would take longer than just building the wall by hand. I can see it being useful for thing such as dig projects but if you remove all difficulties from a game, what fun is there? Usually to remain interested there should be some form of challenge to your projects or the game just becomes like all games you cheat on dull and boring. E.g. what is the fun in being invincible in a pvp game and what is the fun in instantly winning games. If you make games too easy they lose enjoyment from them. Creative isn't a server dedicated to design, it's not the place for practising what you are going to build on survival or pve it's a server itself and it should have challenges. It's ultimately not up to me, but I'd much rather spend more time on a build and get a better sense of satisfaction from my work than have my build finished in a couple of hours.

In an ideal world, option #1 would be the best, but the cons and pretty evened out with the pros. I'd personally choose option #3 since that was more or less the feeling I got when Barlimore would move my builds and adjust regions to make my project that much easier. The main problem with this is potential for a large influx of requests only to be handled by 3 people, and when it comes to land disputes, it's not a simple matter than can be gotten over with in a small amount of time. I never used W/E for the longest time and now that I've gotten a taste of what can be done with it, I'd be much more willing to use it for building purposes. especially when it comes to the projects I have a tendency of starting and not finishing.

Again, i'm against the idea of allowing world edit on creative. Even if players are only allowed to WE small sections of land, what is to stop a lot of people getting together and WE all at once causing unwanted lag. The idea of having mods WE areas for you, replications of things such as walls given the fairly low numbers of mods on creative as it is would take longer than just building the wall by hand. I can see it being useful for thing such as dig projects but if you remove all difficulties from a game, what fun is there? Usually to remain interested there should be some form of challenge to your projects or the game just becomes like all games you cheat on dull and boring. E.g. what is the fun in being invincible in a pvp game and what is the fun in instantly winning games. If you make games too easy they lose enjoyment from them. Creative isn't a server dedicated to design, it's not the place for practising what you are going to build on survival or pve it's a server itself and it should have challenges. It's ultimately not up to me, but I'd much rather spend more time on a build and get a better sense of satisfaction from my work than have my build finished in a couple of hours.

What about making it so that players can't run commands at the same time? Or better yet, have mods only give out plots to trusted players?

• Upvote 1

What about making it so that players can't run commands at the same time? Or better yet, have mods only give out plots to trusted players?

We don't go by the whole 'trusted players' group thing, it has way too many problems that could come with it, we also have a rule that there are no ranks or differences in players someone can join the game log into our server and immediately be on equal levels to everyone else. 

• Upvote 1