Advertising on Reddit

Denevien

So, this topic has come up before a couple times, and after doing some research, I think I've got a good starting position. Looking at the price to buy ads on reddit, it seems fairly cheap to throw some advertisements there.

All the info comes from this page.

1) We would need to either choose Frontpage or Specific Subs. There is no reason to advertise on the frontpage, as views would be wasted on non-minecrafters. This is why I would suggest choosing /r/minecraft and /r/mcservers.

2) The cost is $0.75 per 1000 views. The minimum is $5 (roughly 6667 views), and each "package" will only target a specific subreddit. If we choose both subreddits, that is a minimum of $10 (for a total of 13334 views).

I'm wanting to know what the rest of the staff thinks about this, and if you guys think this would be a reasonable use of our funds.

• Upvote 2

I think it's worth trying once at least, be interested to see how effective advertising is. I don't think it's something that should be done very often though, that just gets people tired of seeing our name pop up. We'd have to have a pretty nice looking ad to give a good first impression, but I'm sure someone in the community would be able to make one. In terms of subreddits, I'd agree with /r/minecraft and /r/mcservers, those two should have high levels of people who aren't already invested in a server.

• Upvote 1

I think it's a reasonable use of our funds if it works, so I think it's worth trying. I like the idea of only paying for the days we want, and that they only run for 24 hours so it's not a long term commitment. 

I agree that we should only advertise to minecraft subreddits.  

• Upvote 1

I also agree with at least doing a trial run with paid advertising. Judging by those prices listed it's not like we have much to lose from it. This is something I feel we should at least notify the community of before we go through with it, as some people get pissy when funds are "wasted" on things other than directly keeping the servers up.

• Upvote 1

If I recall correctly, we have been using other free advertising opportunities where we can. The other thread here was the most recent set of actions over free advertisement opportunities, but it fizzled out a few months ago. If we'd like to segue into doing more of that right now, we can bump that thread and continue from there.

We could easily have more contests to design ads to use. I think all of our publicity should stress the following:

• No donator perks
  • No ranks
  • Professional and active volunteer staff
  • Strong community

Another related thing that could help is submitting more cool stuff to /r/Minecraft (the most successful would likely be builds) and having the server address in the comments so people can visit to see them in person.

• Upvote 1

I personally really just like /r/mcservers because of how similar I can see the community is to ours at times. With that said I do like this idea, but I have wondered about Facebook and other social media advertising as well because of its effectiveness I have seen. Perhaps someone could give their thoughts on that also?

I personally really just like /r/mcservers because of how similar I can see the community is to ours at times. With that said I do like this idea, but I have wondered about Facebook and other social media advertising as well because of its effectiveness I have seen. Perhaps someone could give their thoughts on that also?

There was a post about having a facebook page a couple of months ago, not much intrest from the members of the community:

Not a Facebook page, that I agree is undermining the purpose of reddit. I am mostly talking about facebook ads because of the MASSIVE amount of people who can view the ads. I do agree we should start with funding for reddit ads though so I think the sooner the better as far as that goes.

• 1 month later...