[PMC] Giving Compass power to players on C?

MasterCommaThe

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow C Players to use the compass (currently restricted to moderators)?

• Yes/Si/Oui
    • No/No/Non

I'm not aware of any specific reason players aren't allowed to use a compass on C. So why not let them have it if they want?

The reason is either some tech stuff I'm unaware of, or more likely that it is a holdover from the old days when players weren't even allowed to fly. I can see there might be some arguments against this as it would prevent players from being able to make private structures, but to that I have to ask why those people are playing on a public server?

It would be handy.  I wondered whether having players bounce around with a compass would be a hindrance to following griefers, but then they can already /home and /warp all over the map.  Tentatively in favour, but I'll wait and see what the other side of the argument is before voting.

• Upvote 1

I remember the end of a PvE rev when it was put into read-only and we were all given compasses, it got really laggy having everyone constantly jumping around with them. If we were to do this, I'd implement it as a fun, one-day only event. This way we could get a feel for the lag, and if it is manageable, then offer it to them as a full time thing. If the lag is game breaking, then we keep it as it is, and they will have enjoyed the event and be happy.

• Upvote 1

I voted no.  While I think it is a great tool and can be sometimes beneficial to use, it's just another non-vanilla tool that aids with building.  With flying I don't really see a purpose besides going through things, which just creates some drama with people who want to keep their builds private.   It also could ruin the revision scavenger hunts as people could just compass through instead of solving the puzzles.  I'm not sure about causing lag, I know that was a concern in the past, but I'm not sure if that could be fixed.

• Upvote 1

The biggest reason for voting no for me is because I remember (and I can't say that I've seen it to much lately) that players on C would purposely go bug other players around the map.  The players that were being bothered could at least go inside of their build and continue building without being bothered.  If players were allowed to tp through walls then no player is able to escape the harassment of others. 

This would also kill any of our private builds we might try to do that we don't want released to public view until it's done.  For instance If we were to create a game like the Hollywood Squares game we did on P a few revs ago, People would be able to tp through the walls and there would be no surprises there.

Also, Not sure if the compass overrides it when we put people in jail or not too.

• Upvote 1

Voting no as well.  It seems that one of the big reasons for giving players compasses would be to equalize gameplay between players and staff.  From the way this thread [Removed Link] is going, that may soon be a moot point as mods could be losing that function outside of modmode.  If that happens, then compass access for regular play would just be a building/traveling aid, which I think goes against C's focus on being mostly vanilla.

• Upvote 1

This has been brought up before, I have personally always gone by the rule that the map is free to view for everyone even inside builds. Having said that there are certain circumstances where going into a build is dangerous eg someone has a large redstone machine that causes a lot of lag allowing players into the area in which the controls are at can be risky. The other disadvantage is the general lag, I'm not sure if you would be able to restrict the number of times that you use the compass in a set time frame. It is a very useful tool, and would be good fun for players. So far I have not cast my vote but I'd like to put forward one more point, a lot of players avoid creative as it is not as rewarding having all the easy tools to go and do things do we really want to make it even more easy and risk players finding it even more boring than before?

• Upvote 1

I voted no.  While I think it is a great tool and can be sometimes beneficial to use, it's just another non-vanilla tool that aids with building.  With flying I don't really see a purpose besides going through things, which just creates some drama with people who want to keep their builds private.   It also could ruin the revision scavenger hunts as people could just compass through instead of solving the puzzles.  I'm not sure about causing lag, I know that was a concern in the past, but I'm not sure if that could be fixed.

This. In addition to allowing players to compass through walls past puzzles (and also into 'secret' areas), people normally have their redstone enclosed for a reason. While I wouldn't normally mind if players see my redstone, I wouldn't want people messing with my repeaters, note blocks, and hoppers. Sure, there are WorldGuard flags which prevent such interactions, but the fact is, most people don't even know that these exist. Enabling compasses seems to create several problems without really solving any. As Wayne mentioned, there's a good chance moderators eventually won't be able to use compasses while not in ModMode, eliminating the difference in navigational abilities between default players and moderators. The only real argument I've seen for allowing compasses is that they make it easier to build. This is true, but unless there's a good way of easily preventing any of the issues that have been mentioned here from causing problems, I'm not ready to take this step in granting all players access to this tool.

After reading it through more I'm personally against it, it seems like the rest of the CAdmin staff are also against the idea despite how fun it sounds! so I'm sorry but I don't see this coming to creative any time soon. Perhaps we could go through with having it as a one day event. 

• Upvote 1