[AC] Linked Chat

slide

How would y'all feel about linking the servers chat together? I'm trying to think of the best way to do this and need some feedback.

1) "Global"/Server Chat - Each server would retain its own "Global" chat which is limited to that servers players.

2) Private Messages, Mail - Would  work across servers

3) Clan Chat - Would be configurable per channel?

4) Tab List - The player list that shows up when you press tab can be made to show either the server you are on, or everyone, I was thinking this could be made toggle-able in game

• Upvote 1

I'm writing a plugin specifically to log our chat as 1) text log files suck for searching through 2) logblocks chat logging is very basic and 3) to accommodate our setups needs

I suppose private messages and mail could be opt in, but I don't see the reason to add the complexity to that. Clan Chat I imagine should be configurable per channel though.

• 3 weeks later...

How would this affect lag? I remember when /mbg was first introduced we were told to use it sparingly because it might cause lag. I imagine that everyone being able to use it would make it worse. Is it a problem or was the old warning just a precaution?

This is the only immediate concern I can think of with this. Other than that, I like the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

On a server I have played on in the past, they have survival and ftb servers, and global chat in each is treated sort of like a clanchat channel. So if you're on the FTB server, you do something like "/listen s" to opt in to listening in on discussion on the survival server, "/s [text]" to chat while maintaining your current server's global chat as your default channel, and "/c s" to change your default channel to the global chat channel for the survival server. Folks on the survival server do the same thing but with f in place of s. Anytime you want to stop listening you repeat the /listen command.

It's kind of neat.

My only concern if it's on by default would be an overload of messages filling up chat, and possibly confusing new players.

As for messages and mail and clanchat, I'm all for that being inter-server. Also the tab-list sounds nice. :]

edit: I suppose if we were to use similar aliases, /s and /p would be fine, but /c is already used by clanchat.

Also, it might be nice to have the messages from different servers color coded in some way to signify more readily which server they're coming from, then again more tags and colors would be ever more disorienting on S with all of our clan tags. :s

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...