Previous revision cartographs

XkinOEC

I tag this creative, because I feel it's a bigger problem on C where the previous revision carto's are generally viewed most often. But anyway, the point I am making....

Many of the previous revision cartographs featured on the wiki were not actually from the most recent snap of the respective revision. This isn't exclusive to just the previous rev (rev 24) but 23, 22, and i'm told 21 as well. With rev 24 and 23 I noticed 2 problems, not only were they each approximately a month or more behind the date the final carto should have been taken, but they are also sized to match when the revision first started(before the space expansions). This is noticeable if you attempt to view marting11's highway in rev 24, or miniempire in rev 23.

While it's not necessarily logical to startup a whole server just to take another cartograph picture, I think it might be ideal to use the opportunity we would have when we get our 4th server for testing survival mode creative, to simply load the old maps for a short time, and grab accurate cartograph images.

Thanks

Nickeox

This has been bugging a lot of people for quite a long time now, and honestly I fully agree with all the threads asking for a fix. It would be worthwhile to do as nickeox suggested above, and honestly if it weren't done then I'd be dumbfounded.

Edited by EeHee2000

• 1 month later...

I agree with nickeox about this. I occasionally go to the previous cartos to get a quick glance at old maps and get rather annoyed that many of the builds are missing because the cartos aren't from the final version of the map (rev 24, maybe others) or aren't fully expanded (rev 23, maybe others). It would make my day if they were to get fixed.

Speeking of carto issues, the carto for the current map doesn't include the borders.

• 2 months later...

I would like to bring attention back to this as it's been several months with no change.

If someone could make a full list of which ones need to be fixed, Deaygo said he can work on it on his home machine from time to time. A list like this would be best:

Rev 22: need latest carto

Rev 24: wrong size carto

Etc...

Scher made a partial list of some that were mentioned, but no one ever made the full list.

• 5 months later...

C Rev 25: needs an actual end-of-rev carto to be created (link currently forwards to livemap)
C Rev 24: needs latest carto and expanded size
C Rev 23: needs latest carto and expanded size
C Rev 22: needs latest carto
C Rev 21: needs latest carto
P Rev 11: needs latest carto

Rev 25's carto is available here; as far as I'm aware, it's up to date. It would be nice if all of the maps could be moved to the same parent directory, though, instead of having them split between http://nerd.nu/maps/ and http://redditpublic.com/carto/.

Just need the full list, and I can work on updating them on the wiki. I just copy over the ones that were generated, so we will just have to regenerate them from the released maps which I can do.

Since it's been almost 8 months since my last summary list, let's assume that nickeox's most recent list is the complete one.

Also, is there or can there be a directory setup for nerd.nu/maps - something like the redditpublic.com carto portal?

• 2 weeks later...

Can I also bring up that the dynamap interface allows for us to display offline maps on the sidebar, as well as 45degree perspective maps, which means we simply could have a page called nerd/nu/maphistory and put them all on one map via the sidebar interface. It would require reloading of all of the old maps once again. However it does give us the ability let players look through old maps quicker.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll see what I can do, i'm not sure if any of the revisions that need a new cartograph will be effected, but there may be a revision in which using the current version of minecraft as a direct map updater version will change a few block IDs... It would be miserable to see all of the wood change to netherbricks again. :P

C Rev 25: needs an actual end-of-rev carto to be created (link currently forwards to livemap)
C Rev 24: needs latest carto and expanded size
C Rev 23: needs latest carto and expanded size
C Rev 22: needs latest carto
C Rev 21: needs latest carto
P Rev 11: needs latest carto

I've updated the wiki links to point to the correct locations, regenerated P11, C21, C22, C23 and C24 and moved C25 into place.

• 2 months later...

I was going to say, I noticed that and remember the reasoning behind it too, it was when they were building the randloc command, verros used it and it took him to right outside the farlands. One single block was generated there, and it left the cartograph in shambles.