[AC] PvP arenas in creative

buzzinbee

I have talked about this with LetsBFehr and marting11, they both agree that it would be good and fun, I would like to hear from Dumbo and from the survival admins to make sure that they are fine with the idea. This was brought up a while ago but Tharine thought that PvP arenas on creative would draw too much attention away from survival. I personally don't think that will happen but it's still a genuine concern so I would like to hear everyone's view on it. Basically we would allow players to modreq for a pvp arena they have built to have a pvp allow flag set on it. If we did this I think it would make creative a little more interesting than just blocks although personally I'd like to try and remove the death messages that would come from pvp fights. Thoughts?

This may actually happen so if we're going with this it should be only on a trial basis to see what happens.

I'd be ok with this, the idea had been tossed about in chat before and some survival players thought that it would actually work the other way and give players a taste for survival. They also pointed out the fact that survival is more than just killing each other.

An analogous discussion happened for P - from what I can piece together from old threads, initially there was great resistance among staff at the time for having PvP arenas on P, primarily because of the fear that PvP is the specialty of S (it will take players away from S to P as well as be redundant in the bigger picture of the nerd servers).  The compromise that was made at the time was that PvP arenas on P were to be "reasonably sized" and simple (like this one), with the understanding that bigger, more complicated PvP arenas (and even arenas where PvP is a secondary feature, such as jousting) can and should be built on S instead.

Over time, the size and arena criteria became clearly defined in the rules (40x40x40, access-restricted, etc.) and the complexity restriction on the arenas sort of faded out on its own; most recently I have seen and enabled PvP not only in straight-up PvP arenas, but in jousting arenas, king of the ladder arenas, an archery arena, and other arenas that required PvP and met the regulations put forth in nerd.nu/rules.  Despite these changes on P, which the staff a year ago worried would negatively affect S, the Survival playerbase appears not to have changed greatly, at least to my knowledge.

TL;DR: Given what has happened on P, I doubt the statement that having PvP arenas on C will detract much from S.