Unban Carver.

EeHee2000

Going about this passively, let's see how long 'til it's locked. Discuss in comments, please refrain from locking until this is discussed. Don't rug>under>sweep. We'll just sort out whether or not to unban Carver here, publicly. Discuss.

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

As long as this is done calmly and maturely, it can remain open. Though, as I said in my last one, we are already discussing it, and can't consider unbanning someone who has not filled out a ban appeal...

multiple ban appeals have been made. and the last one stated he will not be unbanned because he is affiliated with AVO. Which falls back to the point why can a staff member be affiliated with them?

• Upvote 1

multiple ban appeals have been made. and the last one stated he will not be unbanned because he is affiliated with AVO. Which falls back to the point why can a staff member be affiliated with them?

A staff member who only rejoined the servers very recently. Strange to see someone gain Mod so fast, even more so someone who was banned for reasons falling back to AVO.

• Upvote 1

if it cant be discussed on the forums where else can it be discussed?

Your right, never mind. It was just that "don't talk about bans in global chat" thing that was making me think that. These are the forums, and are a great place for all kinds of discussion, since that's what they were intended for

There's no where else suitable.

Now that I think about it, your right. This is the only suitable place for this. Edited by coolgamerovr90
  • Upvote 1

A staff member who only rejoined the servers very recently. Strange to see someone gain Mod so fast, even more so someone who was banned for reasons falling back to AVO.

I think they were already a mod beforehand, and got mod powers back upon rejoining the servers because of that

Edited by coolgamerovr90
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, one of the biggest issues I have with this is that there was NO announcement that LRO was re-modded. Usually there is a nice post on the subreddit announcing the return / "promotion" of mods, but the only reason I found out about this is through fourdown finding her on the staff page. I have a feeling there was no post about it because it seems pretty clear that her return as a staff member would rub a large number of people the wrong way.

Edited by Jauris
  • Upvote 1

Even so, it's strange that she wasn't yet Carver was, but that's irrelevant.

It was before my time, but at the time, it was common practice to ban those in their videos, and Carver was in one.

Honestly, one of the biggest issues I have with this is that there was NO announcement that LRO was re-modded. Usually there is a nice post on the subreddit announcing the return / "promotion" of mods, but the only reason I found out about this is through fourdown finding her on the staff page. I have a feeling there was no post about it because it seems pretty clear that her return as a staff member would rub a large number of people the wrong way.

Regarding this, we've always made announcements for new mods, but I can't recall ever seeing one for a return. In my opinion, they only get the pomp and circumstance for the first time

• Upvote 1

http://nerd.nu/archives/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/59112#Comment_59112 A contributing factor was the fact that carver was so affiliated with them that other players then started to attack the server on his behalf spamming us and ddosing us. He also according to the ban appeal revealed a private ip address of a server from one of the community in our servers. This is just showing that it is not just his affiliation with them that has caused his permanent ban. That being said Denevien has stated that they are discussing it. He is meaning if Carver were to make a new ban appeal then it would warrant the possibility of an unban however it's server policy to not unban unless there is an open appeal at the time.

• Upvote 1

Seeing as this involves the entire history of Nerd, I think it's worth having a tl;dr to the best of my knowledge. Delete this post if you disagree or feel it shouldn't be around, I'll automatically agree with it this time.

Dragging_low and Ojwasguilty were head admin and mod respectively at the start of Nerd, and "spent 20 hours a day clearing up after AVO". AVO and anything related was entirely hated by the community. LadyRavenOwl was associated with AVO people in their personal lives, but was not a member. She's since come to Nerd and is now a mod. Carver was briefly associated with AVO in-game, but was not a member or a griefer, but was banned for reasons stating he was in AVO. Demands as follows,

a) AVO was/is hated by the community, anyone who was so close to it shouldn't be Nerd staff.

b) Carver was much less weakly associated with AVO, and therefore should be preferred/unbanned.

edit: As I expected, my knowledge is incomplete. See Cyotie's post below.

Edited by tobylane

Regarding this, we've always made announcements for new mods, but I can't recall ever seeing one for a return. In my opinion, they only get the pomp and circumstance for the first time

Expanding on that, I remember multiple staff members [not going to say any names] coming back and there being no subreddit announcement made, unless they made one themselves. The subreddit announcements are usually for new techadmins/serveradmins/headadmins from what i've seen

Edited by coolgamerovr90

Carver was briefly associated with AVO in-game, but was not a member or a griefer, but was banned for reasons stating he was in AVO. Demands as follows,

b) Carver was much less weakly associated with AVO, and therefore should be preferred/unbanned.

Carver is and has been associated with AVO for a long time.  Is an active member of their community and is a moderator of their forums http://www.teamavolition.com/user/12366-dr-carbernated-water/

• Upvote 1

If I recall correctly, isn't LadyRavenOwl active there as well? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The point is that we have had no trouble from people over LRO from AVO she is not as active as Carver, she also hasn't done anywhere near as much damage to the community of this server as Carver, I don't see why LRO is being discussed that much I have never heard anything from AVO about her and she is generally an incredible help to our servers.

• Upvote 2

All of this discussion about Carver being unbanned has come up due to LadyRavenOwl getting back her staff position. I'm never against getting new mods, the servers always needs them and I don't think we should be discouraged from making additions to the staff team. However, it struck me as a little odd that LRO returns for around a month and then gets staff back, especially given the way in which she left the last time. I think this is what has confused me and many others. There had been previous discussions with the one of the heads about how past staff can get their positions back, and although not official we came to the decision that it'd be best if past staff had to go through the same process as any normal player. This was never put into practice, but it frustrated me slightly that they'd give mod straight back to a player who hadn't been around for over a year despite not long before saying that things like this shouldn't happen.

This is the only reason all of this stuff has come up about Carver and unless Carver wants to appeal then I don't really think this discussion can go anywhere. I'd quite like to see Carver back and if there's no harm in him returning then I don't see any problem with him being unbanned.

• Upvote 3

The point is that we have had no trouble from people over LRO from AVO she is not as active as Carver, she also hasn't done anywhere near as much damage to the community of this server as Carver, I don't see why LRO is being discussed that much I have never heard anything from AVO about her and she is generally an incredible help to our servers.

she has done far more damage than just griefing the server. She's screwed over multiple members real lives. I will not put their names out publically in respect for them.

I personally believe that enough time has passed without having avo fanboys coming on spamming unban carver or griefing or ddosing due to his presence in avo to give him another chance, however as stated the head admins are discussing this but until he makes a new appeal there is not much they can do as unbanning when there is no open appeal at the time is against server policy.

• Upvote 1

All of this discussion about Carver being unbanned has come up due to LadyRavenOwl getting back her staff position. I'm never against getting new mods, the servers always needs them and I don't think we should be discouraged from making additions to the staff team. However, it struck me as a little odd that LRO returns for around a month and then gets staff back, especially given the way in which she left the last time. I think this is what has confused me and many others. There had been previous discussions with the one of the heads about how past staff can get their positions back, and although not official we came to the decision that it'd be best if past staff had to go through the same process as any normal player. This was never put into practice, but it frustrated me slightly that they'd give mod straight back to a player who hadn't been around for over a year despite not long before saying that things like this shouldn't happen.

This is the only reason all of this stuff has come up about Carver and unless Carver wants to appeal then I don't really think this discussion can go anywhere. I'd quite like to see Carver back and if there's no harm in him returning then I don't see any problem with him being unbanned.

After her original request, we made her be active in the community, so people got to know her again. Then she had to go through mod training again. This is a process we have implemented with the long gone players that she went through, another went through, and two more are starting now.

• Upvote 3