Creative and its players

Difficult1

Why not just sell the perms to people? I know thats not really what nerd is about but it would deter abuse, people tend to care more when they put money into it. 
The only real problem i see with this is possible elitism, however as it stands I think this is better than the server dying.

Why not just sell the perms to people? I know thats not really what nerd is about but it would deter abuse, people tend to care more when they put money into it. 

The only real problem i see with this is possible elitism, however as it stands I think this is better than the server dying.

No. We will not be selling abilities, or giving perks to donators.

• Upvote 5

No. We will not be selling abilities, or giving perks to donators.

I thought so, merely a suggestion. What about mods adding a trusted status to players that you have to make a modreq for it would be something like /modreq I have read the rules and am ready to get worldedit permissions

this would mean that anyone with permissions could not appeal a ban on the basis they did not read the rules. This may help, unless there is a way to give players worldedit for a certain area im not sure how else to do it

Edited by Suff3r

I believe we should stick to our free-for-all, equal and simple playstyle. That doesn't mean dicking around with things that will annoy people, such as the colored chat, donation perks, and things that generally give certain players a reputation they paid for / didn't earn. However, we should look for ways around the annoying parts of certain plugins we want to add, and look into it. That was my suggestion with the Worldedit area limitation, and this shows it can be done:

There are servers that work that way. http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/plotme/ for example.

Things like colored chat are fairly hard to get around, for obvious reasons. I'm all for any plugin that doesn't disrupt the current playstyle negatively and keeps our good-and-true traditions on hand. Anything that unbalances the fairness of the server is a massive no from me. 

buzzinbee, on 28 Dec 2013 - 10:06 AM, said:

The old days we had roads due to no flight, this connected everyone's builds together and made it easier to be involved with the community now we fly our own separate ways, build our own things, get bored, move on.

We would have roads still to this day, however with how spawn is setup there really is no logical way to make roads, and the ones which were already made were not the best, thus no one felt compelled to continue them, after the redesign, we did feel compelled to do so, however we lost our chance as most of the area right outside of spawncity became cluttered with other builds blocking the existing roads from being expanded. Buzzin, do trust that Magnyus and myself had great plans for being a driving force to build this server right; CTA, roads, spleef, stylized cities, etc... We had plans, however most could not be implemented due to various constraints presented to us at the start of revision 25 which had never been a problem in the past.

buzzinbee, on 28 Dec 2013 - 1:13 PM, said:

We have had World edit allowed for mods before and from asking thrawn about it this was removed due to large amounts of abuse with the tool, it is WAY too over powered. 

I remember this time well. There was plenty abuse but this seems to bring to light a much bigger problem on nerd.nu as a whole, that being how moderators are chosen for the server. Why are most of the moderators especially from C even made moderators in the first place? I hate to point this out, but many moderators on here are chosen almost spontaneously with nothing more than a check of ban listings. Not how long they have been playing minecraft, not the major statistics of them playing on nerd.nu, not even taking community input... Perhaps before we place blame on the world edit which can be completely changed to allow only certain tools to be used, we should blame the moderator who abused their powers. Of course this is assuming they were even told that such tools were strictly for repairing grief. If they weren't then we have no one to blame but the admin who made the final decision to allow them to become moderators in the first place. Since it seems the admins on nerd treat moderatorship as a spontaneous opportunity for promotion you can't just assume that new moderators will know such rules about their new abilities. 

But back to C topics, we shouldn't be afraid of it's power since its easily able to be limited. It can be restricted to region owners which would require people to start without it, then get their region protected to get it. You can also remove individual tools from the peoples permissions levels and deny its use to place specific blocks that would be obvious cause for grief (EX. pistons). Together this voids practically all of the con's you had listed for world edit. You still say lag, however our server should be able to handle this increased strain easily, if it can't then there is clearly some sort of modding problem going on with what is currently run on our server. Which should be top priority to be solved by our tech staff anyways to reduce wasted resources.

TornadoHorse, on 28 Dec 2013 - 2:06 PM, said:

To me it seems that you're trying to prove why these things would be bad rather than thinking of solutions to the problems you've suggested. If you're not open minded then Creative won't change and you'll stick to the small player base it has now. 

Tornado: This is something that has been happening on nerd.nu since the avo attack really... We've become far too worried about adding excessive security and removing fun/useful features. This is why our server is so trapped in the past.

We really don't need to add anything, or take away anything either. All we need to do is put out some kind of advertisement, as many of us have suggested many times.

Rock, we do need a bit more than just advertisements, but I completely agree, ADVERTISE OUR SERVERS! 

We could totally recover at least 1/4th of the lost audience on C from proper advertisements.

• Upvote 1

We would have roads still to this day, however with how spawn is setup there really is no logical way to make roads, and the ones which were already made were not the best, thus no one felt compelled to continue them, after the redesign, we did feel compelled to do so, however we lost our chance as most of the area right outside of spawncity became cluttered with other builds blocking the existing roads from being expanded. Buzzin, do trust that Magnyus and myself had great plans for being a driving force to build this server right; CTA, roads, spleef, stylized cities, etc... We had plans, however most could not be implemented due to various constraints presented to us at the start of revision 25 which had never been a problem in the past.

We have had several different types of spawn over the last few revisions, some with a spawn city some without none of which have had roads build to connect player's projects togther. Since flight was introduced they have gone completely.

I remember this time well. There was plenty abuse but this seems to bring to light a much bigger problem on nerd.nu as a whole, that being how moderators are chosen for the server. Why are most of the moderators especially from C even made moderators in the first place? I hate to point this out, but many moderators on here are chosen almost spontaneously with nothing more than a check of ban listings. Not how long they have been playing minecraft, not the major statistics of them playing on nerd.nu, not even taking community input... Perhaps before we place blame on the world edit which can be completely changed to allow only certain tools to be used, we should blame the moderator who abused their powers. Of course this is assuming they were even told that such tools were strictly for repairing grief. If they weren't then we have no one to blame but the admin who made the final decision to allow them to become moderators in the first place. Since it seems the admins on nerd treat moderatorship as a spontaneous opportunity for promotion you can't just assume that new moderators will know such rules about their new abilities. 

I am sorry  but I cannot disagree more with that, the selection process that goes into selecting our mods is a very strict one. We do not just lookup their bans list we often have threads up for month discussing names in depth before we even consider putting them into a voting thread. When we pick the mods those that are modded generally are very responsible. World edit would still be too powerful to allow for them to use, it is the first time we see them actually in a position with powers that can be damaging to the server, we need to see how they handle that and not just throw them in the deep end with the most dangerous tool for mods. Our past mods have in general been just as good as our current mods, I do not want to open up the opportunity for more abuse when our system of modding generally works just now.

We had plans, however most could not be implemented due to various constraints presented to us at the start of revision 25 which had never been a problem in the past.

But back to C topics, we shouldn't be afraid of it's power since its easily able to be limited. It can be restricted to region owners which would require people to start without it, then get their region protected to get it.

Tornado: This is something that has been happening on nerd.nu since the avo attack really... We've become far too worried about adding excessive security and removing fun/useful features. This is why our server is so trapped in the past.

There's more than enough time left in this revision to make a transportation system, nick

If moderators were chosen as spontaneously as you claim, nick, most of the regulars of C (examples Mag, Hail, Diff, yourself, Flug, etc etc) would have been chosen already. Putting my opinion of your past concerns bluntly, it just sounds like anger coming from you at this point, impatience, a sense of entitlement. Everyone has an equal chance to start down that road, some just sooner than others. Everyone who's thought of for the potential position is gone over with a fine-tooth comb, nothing is overlooked, and while some things outweigh others, all aspects of a candidate are taken into account.

Again, it really isn't that simple without changing the purpose of the server as a whole.

To your point of being trapped in the past- Are we? Or do we simply allow people to cut straight to the matter of what Creative Mode is about, without the limitations of Plots, without the overconfidence with Brushes, etc etc?

• 2 weeks later...

Would just like to keep everyone up to date, we are discussing this in Admin Chat just now, and we do intend to act upon some of the issues brought up. Once any changes that shall be occurring have occurred, I will see if the topic is suitable to move from AC to the archives. Just letting you guys know we are taking your opinions into account. 

• Upvote 4

I just want to speak up in defense of roleplay.

The roleplay rule means that you can create builds on C, but you can't use them.  I can make a hospital, but I can't pretend to be a doctor in it.  I can make the USS Enterprise, but I can't put on a Captain Kirk skin and send redshirts off to die.

I see no problem restricting sexual / inappropriate / pony roleplay, but restricting ALL roleplay eliminates the second half of the point of building in creative mode.

• Upvote 4

I just want to speak up in defense of roleplay.

The roleplay rule means that you can create builds on C, but you can't use them.  I can make a hospital, but I can't pretend to be a doctor in it.  I can make the USS Enterprise, but I can't put on a Captain Kirk skin and send redshirts off to die.

I see no problem restricting sexual / inappropriate / pony roleplay, but restricting ALL roleplay eliminates the second half of the point of building in creative mode.

You can roleplay you just have to make a separate clan chat channel for it so the people not involved don't have to listen.

....Permissions don't work like that.

While you're technically incorrect (there's no "guideline" for how permissions do or don't work - they're a set of allow / deny flags for player actions), you're kind of also correct. There's no plugin to my knowledge that allows this sort of behaviour.

That said, I'm pretty sure I could get one working with WorldGuard in about fifty lines of code total.

While you're technically incorrect (there's no "guideline" for how permissions do or don't work - they're a set of allow / deny flags for player actions), you're kind of also correct. There's no plugin to my knowledge that allows this sort of behaviour.

That said, I'm pretty sure I could get one working with WorldGuard in about fifty lines of code total.

^What I was saying, that as it currently is, there's nothing directly available to just pop in & turn on to facilitate that. Sure the techs'd appreciate anyone's help in rigging something up for that kind of thing, if we really wanted C to move in that direction.

Honestly, I feel I'm in no position to offer ideas of how to get new players on the server considering Ive only been using the server for a couple of weeks. But [if you care at all,rock :3] I plan on sticking with this server, reason is because every other creative server I find is a plot server. That's the only kind of creative servers I can find anymore. I like the creative servers that are open build and [mostly] unlimited. :)