Advertisements on Reddit

Denevien

Which Image would you like to see?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. http://imgur.com/a/ozCm3

So, we're looking into doing some Ads on Reddit. For those curious, info on reddit ads are here. We plan to target the /r/minecraft and /r/mcservers subreddits with these ads. Now, the reason for this post: We want you to design it! Like we did with the server icon contest, we want everyone to make up some ads (preferably to have each ad represent all three servers). After they are submitted, we will vote on which one is our favorite and run it. If it seems to go well, we may use some runner ups in future ads. We don't have a set end time yet, but I will update this post once a deadline is set. So key info:

• Must follow all MCPublic rules.
  • Must respresent MCPublic as a whole
  • Must be 70 x 70
  • Must be submitted by: TBA

So, go and be creative!

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

For clarification, why is it that MCP supposedly isn't on good terms with /r/Minecraft? For a community that is known as the Reddit server, we never have anything to do with the largest subreddit dedicated to Minecraft.

Also, have you taken into account how advertising might affect us? We'd be painting a big red target right on our foreheads if this isn't done correctly. Whether it be the myriad of griefers/"hackers" that are to follow suit, or the countless trolls, and even the downright stupid ones.

And I can foget policy, you cannot possibly expect to advertise to Reddit and not expect the Reddit culture to make it way back onto the servers. I know we've prided ourselves as being a mostly civilised bunch, but if we want to advertise ourselves as the official Reddit server again, things are going to have to change.

Could the process of how this is being handled be revealed? Rather than making a contest out of it?

• Upvote 2

For clarification, why is it that MCP supposedly isn't on good terms with /r/Minecraft? For a community that is known as the Reddit server, we never have anything to do with the largest subreddit dedicated to Minecraft.

Back in the early days of our servers, /r/Minecraft was our home. Then people began posting random things about minecraft that wasn't related to our servers, and eventually part of the community there asked us to leave. We made a new subreddit, and lived there ever since (this was all before my time, this has just been passed down over time).

Also, have you taken into account how advertising might affect us? We'd be painting a big red target right on our foreheads if this isn't done correctly. Whether it be the myriad of griefers/"hackers" that are to follow suit, or the countless trolls, and even the downright stupid ones.

We've always had a big red target on us, which is why we get DDoS'd very often. We're not really worried about griefers or hackers, or anything like that, because we have tools in place to prevent/fix any potential damage.

And I can foget policy, you cannot possibly expect to advertise to Reddit and not expect the Reddit culture to make it way back onto the servers. I know we've prided ourselves as being a mostly civilised bunch, but if we want to advertise ourselves as the official Reddit server again, things are going to have to change.

If we advertise on Reddit, we will not be changing ourselves to suit them. We are letting ourselves be known, and if they want to come play, they can follow the rules just like everyone else. I know the Reddit culture can be more abrasive than we allow, but they will have to become a more "civilized bunch"

Could the process of how this is being handled be revealed? Rather than making a contest out of it?

WAT?

• Upvote 4

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't reddit ads larger than 70x70? They just seem to appear that way at least.

I was confused when I first read into this. This won't be a sidebar ad, it will be an ad at the top of the subreddit. You know sometimes when you go to a subreddit, the first line is a "sponsored link"? It will be one of those. Currently there is no way to select sidebar ads.

• Upvote 1

Is the sponsored link going to go to nerd.nu? Or r/mcpublic? Or a self-post sponsored link? (think I've seen those)

I would think r/mcpublic would be the best option (people are on reddit anyway!) but if you do decide on nerd.nu, could I give some recommendations on how to improve the landing page to make the servers more attractive to new players?

• Upvote 1

Bumping to encourage others to submit icons, and give me feedback on improving mine.

I really liked your original submission, but I think I prefer your most recent one over it :) I particularly like the use of the /r/minecraft alien, and I think it's a bit of a cleaner look overall. I agree with the sentiments about going with the subreddit address rather than nerd.nu, but I can see as well the point about nerd.nu being the address you actually connect to in-game.

I had some spare time this morning, decided to give it a go at making some of these myself. I thought it might be nice to include a build in the icon, sort of as a way of showcasing the nice quality builds that are on the servers. I ended up with mostly builds from PvE at the moment, might take a shot at making some more with Creative builds in them as I haven't included any in the ones I made. As of now, i've made the following:

TRpe9hV.png  CIGPkuS.png  GWtxGZq.png  jzKzqxI.png  hZZ0ieT.png  pP1zGDq.png  ESCpmtV.png  Glu1opX.png  tuD8Qeq.png

I'm not too keen on the little space there is before /r/mcpublic, but I couldn't think what would be best to put there to fill the gap. It might look better with the text centred, but I had been thinking of how best to use all of the space available. Would love some criticisms as well :)

• Upvote 10

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, the time has come to get the voting started. This will be set up so you can vote for more than one submission. Try to narrow it to your top 3-5, so that all entries do not end up tied. In case of a tie, we will randomly choose one of the tied images to be used. We hope to do more ads in the future, and plan to use some of the other submissions then. A collected gallery of all the submissions (with what number they are) can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/ozCm3

• Upvote 3