That's it from me.

totemo

It's a new year and time for me to change my focus.  So I'm stepping down from my role as a technical administrator and I'll ask another tech to remove all of my permissions shortly.  I do not intend to stay on as a moderator.  I plan to continue updating my client mod, Watson, and I expect I will occasionally write server plugins as time permits.  If the need arises I'll still be contactable on these forums, the subreddit and the email address associated with my github.

I started playing Minecraft in October of 2010.  The earliest screenshot that I still retain shows version Alpha 1.1.2_01.  I first played on Reddit Public during the tail end of PvE Rev 1, probably during late February 2011.  I also briefly played on Survival - probably Rev 4 - at this time.  I was present for the bewildering initial hours of PvE Rev 2 when the server was suddenly reset following instability.  My experiences of that revision got me hooked and I've been a fixture on PvE ever since.

During PvE Rev 5, in September or October of 2011 I became a moderator and 7 months ago I joined the tech team.  I've had the privilege of being involved in the move of the server to it's new hardware and hosting environment, and being instrumental in the transition from Bukkit to Spigot.  I've also made numerous minor improvements to facilities for players and staff alike.  My proudest achievements, though, were the most recent CTF event and the seasonal events on PvE for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the New Year.  For a programmer, there really is no better feeling than seeing others enjoying one's creations.

My involvement with the servers has been quite a journey for me.  I've, quite unexpectedly, learned a lot about human nature and the dynamics of organisations, as well as picking up a few new technical tricks.

My thanks and best wishes go to all those with whom I've had the pleasure of building over the years.  You know who you are.  Thanks also to all of the staff for their support and counsel, and particularly to my fellow techs, the PvE admins with whom I've worked closely on numerous occasions, the S admins and the heads.

• Upvote 27

Totemo,

What a pleasure it has been working with you. Your hard work and talent never failed to amaze me. You have put many hours into making the servers how they are today, and for this I thank you.

I wish you the best of luck with wherever life leads you.

• Upvote 6

I am sorry to hear this totemo. While I have not been here as long as I have liked, I do know one thing: You (and many others) have made my time, as well as many others' times, very enjoyable in the nerd.nu community.

Often times I sit back and think, "Wow, this is a great community we have here. It'd be a shame to have even one person leave for good." Seeing that this is so, I am sad and happy at the same time. I am sad that you are leaving, but also happy knowing that being who you are, you're bound to do great things wherever you're headed.

EDIT: I'd like to say a few more words.

I've had a day or so to think about this now, and it's all I've thought about. When I first typed that up there late last night, I didn't exactly have my thoughts all together. Now that I do, here goes:

Like I said, I haven't been here a very long time (7-8 months approx.) but one thing kept me on here, compared to other servers: The community. This is a great thing we have going here, I mean we're basically one big family. At the time I joined, I felt like I needed something like this: A place where everyone's nice to one another, says hello and whatnot, and you make some great friends even if you don't physically meet them.

I remember first seeing you one day when I hopped on P and said hello and things. How nice everyone was (compared to S, where I'd come from) kept me on for a while through now. Every holiday thing you have done has been a blast, and that Watson client mod is pretty damn helpful when it comes to them x-rayers.

Quoting myself again, it's sad to see even one member of the Reddit family/community leave, you especially considering your importance to the server for what I know. It's been much fun playing with you and the rest of the Reddit community, and I want you to know one last thing before I burst into tears or something:

You may leave this community, but we'll not leave you. No matter what happens to you, we'll be here for a long time. If you're ever having trouble then I'm sure someone on here would be more than willing to talk it out, myself included.

Well, I hope you aren't a stranger, please come back and visit sometimes if possible. I need someone who understands my doge jokes/puns.  :sad: But good luck to wherever life takes you, totemo. It's a damn shame to see you leave, but I understand. Life's one hell of a ride, you might as well enjoy it. Goodbye, friend.

/me waves goodbye with handkerchief o/~

Edited by jllmprrt
  • Upvote 3

When I first started playing on this server, you were the first moderator I remembered. Your helpfulness may be part of the reason I'm still around today, and you will still remain as my favorite moderator.

As a moderator myself now; I can see how much you put into this server, and how much easier you have made our lives. Your contributions won't be forgotten; and I'm sad to see a friend go. But this is life, and minecraft is just a game in the grand scheme of things. I hope we'll see you around sometime, somewhere.

I hope you make the best of life, we'll miss you.

• Upvote 3

The man who completed my first and last modreqs as a player. You never stopped helping after that. Any time something we needed help or something to be done, you were there to help. I can't even start on how much you've helped these servers and the people on them.

I'll be missing you just as much as a player as I'll miss you as a tech. We'll be without the ol' totemo humor. I want you to focus on yourself, but don't be a stranger. Hell, if you come back, this time I can be the one doing your modreqs. =D

• Upvote 2

D: who am I going to bombard with tech issues during creative chaos events now? In all seriousness totemo, I will miss you thank you very much for the work you have put in it really has made a huge difference for us all. Pop in mumble and irc every now and then.

• Upvote 1

You know you probably don't know/remember this, but when I first joined P in the initial hours of rev 2, you offered me shelter and some food at that small place you had just built.  It was really one of the first interactions I had with someone here at MCpublic, and your kindness lead me to staying and playing here.  So thanks for your initial kindness and for all you have done for this community.  Best of luck with whatever the future holds.

-LetsB

• Upvote 2

Hey totemo,

I only recently returned from an extended hiatus from MineCraft myself, but the memories of the good times we had working on Venice and Angkor together is what drew me back in.  Hope to see you around, but if I don't, good luck to you and happy trails.

Scorpii

• Upvote 1

It feels really weird to see you go totemo. You've been around for so long I've always considered you a constant in this ever changing community, and I guess I ended up taking you for granted. As a mod you were always kicking ass and taking names on griefers and xrayers, and as a tech you did so much to improve the lives of the staff and the playerbase at large on top of the asskicking. If anyone has had an impact on these servers it's you, and know you'll always be welcome back as staff.

Make sure to pop on Mumble some time and please us with your sexy radio talkshow host voice :P

• Upvote 5

I'm a new player here, but I'd just like to say thanks for all the effort you've put into this server. These servers, and the community that thrives on them is what has kept me coming back over the past few weeks, it's a shame to see such a core player have to step down, and I wish you the best of luck with future ventures, hope to keep seeing you around.

• Upvote 1

Thank you totemo, you were one of the most awesome techs I can remember, you were always helping when something went wrong and just made things seem right on the servers. I have a lot of memories from the server and i'm glad that I got to see you playing minecraft. I hope that everything goes well from now on, although i'm sad that this is happening, i'm glad that you are shifting you focus and focusing on other things. I'll miss you, I hope to see you around sometime!  :smile:

• Upvote 1

As a staff member, I recall listening and taking to heart your opinions on what it means to be a member of staff.  Even as players, I remember your masterminding of the Angkor quest in rev 8, the storywriting and the redstoning involved both far greater than what I could do at the time.  And thank you for pointing me in the right direction for my first steps in plugin writing; it has opened a new source of enjoyment in Minecraft for me as I've slowly gotten to know and wield the Bukkit API.

It has been a pleasure to serve with you.  I'm sad to see you go, but if your Destiny now lies in the realm beyond the blocks, then I wish you good luck and good journey.  Perhaps return for some visits when you have the chance?

/me salutes

• Upvote 2

Aw, sucks to see you go totemo. We had a couple short good memories, a bit of derp on C, some more derp on S. Although we didn't know eachother too well, it's impossible to dismiss what you've done for these servers. The work you put into all of this is staggering, and it's very much appreciated by the entire community. Take care and make the most of life, wherever it takes you. Sucks to see you go. :c

We need to hire another spy.

/me salutes

• Upvote 1

I don't know if we've every spoken, but I'd like to say thank you for everything you've done for the nerd community.  I've heard so many great things about you from other players.  Like everyone else here, I'd like to wish you luck in your future endeavors!

• Upvote 1