Lobby Design Contest

slide

Introducing the Lobby Design Contest!

When: Saturday, January 18th, 10AM CST

Where: Event server

Ends: Saturday, February 15h, 10AM CST

How it will work:

You will be able to claim 1 plot per person in which to build your design. Each plot is 125x125 however you do not need to fill the entire space. Groups builds are highly encouraged.

SafeBuckets is enabled, though you are able to place flowing water/lava.

WorldEdit is enabled for use in your plot(s) only, however most commands are rate limited to help server stability. Any abuse will result in a ban.

The map is currently limited to 25 plots as group builds are preferred, but we can expand if it's needed.

The winner will be chosen by a vote on the forum.

Rules:

1. All standard rules apply.
  2. "Spawn" must be the center of your build.
  3. Unused plots can and will be reclaimed.
  4. Can be designed for creative or suvival mode.
  5. 1 plot per user. May be part of others builds.
  6. Portals can be any shape.
  7. Design needs to be able to hold 200 people.
  8. Design does not need to use the entire plot.
  9. Plot owners are responsible for their plots.
  10. Must have portals for C, P, S and E/X (1 spot)
  11. Can use the following blocks for the portal: Portal Block, Water, Lava

Commands:

• "/plot claim" to claim the plot you are standing in
  • "/plot home" to get back to your plot
  • "/plot info" to get info about a plot
  • "/plot list" to list your plots
  • "/plot clear" to clear out your plot
  • "/plot add <player>" to add someone to your plot
  • "/plot remove <player>" to remove someone from your plot
  • "/plot dispose" to give up your plot
  • "/i water" to get flowing water
  • "/i lava" to get flowing lava
  • "/i portal" to get the portal block

WorldEdit commands available:

undo, redo, wand, sel, desel, pos1, pos2, hpos1, hpos2, chunk, expand, contract, outset, inset, shift, size, distr, set, replace, overlay, walls, outline, smooth, hollow, move, stack, copy, cut, paste, rotate, flip, cyl, hcyl, sphere, hsphere, pyramid, hpyramid, pumpkins, fill, drain, fixwater, fixlaba, removeabove, removebelow, removenear, replacenear, snow, thaw, sp

Except from rate limiting:

sel, desel, pos1, pos2, hpos1, hpos2, chunk, expand, contract, outset, inset, shift, size, count, distr, copy, cut

• Upvote 11

Curious as to the reasoning for this. Seems extremely limiting without much of a reason, tech-wise.

I agree, I can think of some cool designs where players spawn facing all three portals... but that would require the "spawn" point to be opposite the portals, instead of in the center.  Can we please remove this requirement?

• Upvote 5

Are we required to build it on nerd on the event server? I mean I MAY have one that is for sure within the size limit, but its currently on a personal world. Just curious.

^  I believe many people, including myself, have created a lobby already in single player or on creative in preparation for this event.  I don't see any reason why a person can't provide a schematic of their build to have imported in given that we can use many world edit commands anyways. 

• Upvote 1

Are we required to build it on nerd on the event server? I mean I MAY have one that is for sure within the size limit, but its currently on a personal world. Just curious.

^  I believe many people, including myself, have created a lobby already in single player or on creative in preparation for this event.  I don't see any reason why a person can't provide a schematic of their build to have imported in given that we can use many world edit commands anyways. 

It will be possible to import a schematic, though you'll likely need staff help to make it happen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/1vc2kb/lobby_design_contest/cerecto

• Upvote 2

It will be possible to import a schematic, though you'll likely need staff help to make it happen.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/1vc2kb/lobby_design_contest/cerecto

This would be so awesome. The only thing is that a techadmin would need to either mass upload a bunch to the server, or upload them one by one as people provide the schematics, which might be time consuming for 1 person to do

• Upvote 1

Could I snag a plot and add the other Port 80 mayors to it as well? LoganRan, PopeAdam, Saberfysh, & kp910460

Some people seem to be a bit unclear about this, but any one who would like a plot can claim one on their own with the command /plotauto. Slide's post above has a list of more commands, but if you (or anyone) has any questions about the set up, don't hesitate to ask!

• Upvote 2

To my knowledge, and with confirmation from Slide yesterday, /plotme auto is disabled. The use of that command would claim plots outside of the world border.

No, /plotme auto finds the next plot out in a spiral from plot (0,0).  It would only go outside the border if every other plot inside the border was already taken.

• Upvote 1

Sorry I haven't replied, was watching the subreddit post more than here. I'll try to answer all the questions now.

Curious as to the reasoning for this. Seems extremely limiting without much of a reason, tech-wise.

It was a decision by me. The next lobby design contest will have different rules, but these are the rules for this contest.

related question: Could we get our build from a  personal server WEed in?

I will be importing whole designs for the first few days only, since I'm only now posting this. I'll put the stop time at Wednesday, Jan 22nd by 10PM CST. I however can import small individual pieces later on, just not whole designs.

No, /plotme auto finds the next plot out in a spiral from plot (0,0).  It would only go outside the border if every other plot inside the border was already taken.

As far as I could determine, 'plotme auto' finds the next plot out in a spiral from the player location, not 0,0. If it's the other way around I can look into enabling it again, but I disabled it so that plots outside the worldborder could not be claimed.

• Upvote 2

As far as I could determine, 'plotme auto' finds the next plot out in a spiral from the player location, not 0,0. If it's the other way around I can look into enabling it again, but I disabled it so that plots outside the worldborder could not be claimed.

https://github.com/ZachBora/PlotMe/blob/master/src/com/worldcretornica/plotme/PMCommand.java#L1912

• Upvote 2

I will be importing whole designs for the first few days only, since I'm only now posting this. I'll put the stop time at Wednesday, Jan 22nd by 10PM CST. I however can import small individual pieces later on, just not whole designs.

If you don't mind, could I ask your reasoning for such a small time frame? The contest goes until next month, why make the deadline for imports so soon?

• Upvote 1

If you don't mind, could I ask your reasoning for such a small time frame? The contest goes until next month, why make the deadline for imports so soon?

Being a contest like this, it is only fair if all people participating can see other entries. We're trying to keep a level playing field, but allow those who already started to not have to start over.

He asked for the reason for the decision, not the person responsible for the decision.

Slide did all the work getting the lobby set up, as well as the contest. He is in charge of it, and was the one to set the rules for now. As he said, there will be more in the future, with different rules, that will accommodate other design types.

• Upvote 2

Being a contest like this, it is only fair if all people participating can see other entries. We're trying to keep a level playing field, but allow those who already started to not have to start over.

I don't understand. If you're trying to keep it level, why give people such different times?

Even so, this is still really early, I know a few people that are building their hubs locally due to the WorldEdit restrictions on the Event server, I feel it's unfair to force those people to rush their build.