Speed Building Contest Topics

MasterCommaThe

I will be hosting a full week of nightly (Edit: 9pm Central) Speed Building Contests from January 25th - January 31st on c.nerd.nu. There will be at least 3 rounds each night that will take place in the official Creative Speed Build Arena. The prize is that the winning builds will be featured in a "trophy room" (until someone donates something else).

I am accepting ideas for the topics for each round, please post your ideas for my consideration in the comments below!

Edit: The final Theme on Friday will be "Redstone".

• Upvote 4

Just a question, how big will the plots be? If fairly big, the contest could be very successful. I'd aim for about 20x20, it's possible with the recent expansion. It'd be cool to have this on the calendar too, and seen as a big upcoming event just as the previous speedbuild was. 

• Upvote 1

As miners (you know you are) I might suggest an tribute to mining statue.  not sure what you are specificly looking at... maybe A build a mining scene including the following ( not to scale) a cart, rail, and tools...   somthing like that?

• Upvote 1

I have a lot of ideas, here they are in no particular order.

• Freedom
  • Music
  • Big
  • Small
  • Water/Underwater
  • Ice/cold
  • Fire/hot
  • Air
  • Food
  • Animals
  • Funny
  • Car/bike
  • Boat
  • Plane
  • City
  • Space
  • Building
  • Destruction
  • PVP arena
  • Games
  • Red stone
  • Derpy blocks only (Gold, diamond, emerald, iron etc)
  • Trees
  • park/garden
  • Cobble + oak challenge (Only able to use Oak planks/logs and cobble)
  • Beer
  • Nation themed (separate themes for Canada, USA, Germany, France, China, UK, Russia etc.
  • Monster
  • Minecraft mob
  • TV show/movie
  • Classic video games
  • Current Games
  • Dinosaurs
  • History
  • future
  • Myths
  • Bedroom
  • Bathroom
  • kitchen
  • Book
  • Robot

• Upvote 3

Back when I was planning on doing something similar, I came up with a short list of ideas:

• Houses
  • Apartments
  • Hotels
  • Library
  • Town Hall
  • Rail station
  • Bar/Tavern
  • Restaurants (Could also do fast food)
  • Gardens/Parks/Nature
  • Statues
  • Farms
  • Afk box
  • Skyscrapers
  • Futuristic/Spaceship
  • Wild West
  • And finally, free builds, where contestants can build in whatever style they want.

On a side note, would it be possible to allow the placement of flowing water or lava in the speed building area?

• Upvote 1

I'm announcing now that the final theme on Friday will be "Redstone."

Please keep in mind that normal server rules still apply. This means clocks (redstone signals that travel continuously in a circle and repeat) must be toggle-able (able to be turned on and off). Any clocks should only be turned on by you for testing and by judges for during final judgement.

It is suggested that any activation buttons, switches, etc... be clearly marked with either brightly colored wool or signs so that judges can easily find how to activate your device.

Please plan out your builds and be thoughtful!

• Upvote 1

Just to note, I believe we had 47-43 players on tonight! That's quite an accomplishment for Creative and is very pleasing to see. Another great aspect of this is that PvE/Survival players are participating, which has made it as great as it is. Can't wait for Friday's builds! 

• Upvote 1

Take note that Friday was actually the slowest day for the contest. Wednesday's turnout was huge though.

My theory is that people were actually scared off by the announcement that the final theme would be redstone. That, or maybe people got tired of speed building every night?  This was a great deal of fun though, I only wish that sports and school didn't keep me from participating every night. Great job and thanks for running this, Master.

• Upvote 1