[Survival] Food Sources

Malvagio87

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be a rule that you must leave two of each animal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. Should you be allowed to take plants without having to replant?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

On S if you take a carrot from a farm or break a wheat you need to replant, however, if you kill someones pig or cow farm that is okay.  

I feel that since this is survival if you are allowed to kill animals then you should be allowed to take plants without having to replant.  I probably stand alone in this but wanted to get other peoples opinions on the subject.

• Upvote 2

Why not allow griefing of builds and remove lwc too?

What differentiates an animal from crops? What differentiates either or both those from mined resources in chests, or enchanted armor and weapons?

If griefing of crops is allowed on S, without some seriously strong and convincing arguments, I would be very disappointed.

• Upvote 5

At the start of a revision, getting an adequate supply/storage of food for a clan/yourself can be difficult, as carrots and potatoes only drop from zombies, there're few cows/pigs/chicons to kill, crops grow fairly slowly unless you've a huge farm to compensate for that. 

I don't think that crop griefing should be allowed, ever. We reserve that for chaos. Crop griefing is a huge dick move and only serves to piss people off. 

However, maybe we could change something about users killing owned animals. Although we probably shouldn't be able to lock them as PvE players can lock their horses, we could perhaps just have a strong policy on keeping two animals left or so. 

• Upvote 1

Don't mean to be rude here, but safebuckets is completely irrelevant to this topic.

Safebuckets is being discussed here.

Actually it doesn't seem to be being discussed at all. I've tried to contact two of the S admins three times now to no avail, and I believe others have as well.

On topic, this is a bad idea. Mumberthrax pretty much hit the nail on the head.

My idea behind this was not for personal farms inside bases it was more towards those who make giant farms off of main roads. 

The owners of those public farms do it out of generosity. To demand more of their time in keeping it replanted would cause them to disappear quite quickly.

• Upvote 2

we need to protect our animals as well as our crops. you know how many times I have had to restart my chicken farm because of ppl killing my chickens? it sucks dirty donkey dicks trying to find and capture chickens every single time I log back in. btw this might off topic but I feel we should the same should go for wolfs and horses.

• Upvote 1

On S if you take a carrot from a farm or break a wheat you need to replant, however, if you kill someones pig or cow farm that is okay.  

I feel that since this is survival if you are allowed to kill animals then you should be allowed to take plants without having to replant.  I probably stand alone in this but wanted to get other peoples opinions on the subject.

Or go in the other direction, and say that because you can't take away one source of food, you can't take away the other, farm animals. Extend the farming rule to say you must breed animals when you kill them. I remember a topic several months ago about what you have to leave behind in an animal farm. It's two of everything. Does that not apply to more open farms?

I'm a bit confused and re-read the rules for S. It's actually allowed to kill cows, pigs and chicken even when they're hidden in the players base and it's not counted as griefing? (Personally I feel this would fall under the "don't be a dick" rule.")

Edited by Guest

I'm a bit confused and re-read the rules for S. It's actually allowed to kill cows, pigs and chicken even when they're hidden in the players base and it's not counted as griefing? (Personally I feel this would fall under the "don't be a dick" rule.")

The problem is that different people have different definitions of what it means to be a "dick". Currently, per my understanding of the rule and previous admins' explanations, it is used as a failsafe for things that are obviously wrong but not specifically forbidden by the other rules. Killing animals has always been allowed on S, so that's the way it stays despite it inducing grief in the owner. I don't like it when my animals are killed, and I don't kill others' animals, but I suspect most people on S would rage if they were no longer allowed to do it. I don't even keep animals anymore because of the frustration associated with it.

The problem is that different people have different definitions of what it means to be a "dick". Currently, per my understanding of the rule and previous admins' explanations, it is used as a failsafe for things that are obviously wrong but not specifically forbidden by the other rules. Killing animals has always been allowed on S, so that's the way it stays despite it inducing grief in the owner. I don't like it when my animals are killed, and I don't kill others' animals, but I suspect most people on S would rage if they were no longer allowed to do it. I don't even keep animals anymore because of the frustration associated with it.

Don't understand how people see crops so differently.

Don't understand how people see crops so differently.

Because crops are a block rather than an entity. And long ago, there was the debate of if it is still griefing if they replant since it is no longer the fully grown block. They decided no, it isn't griefing as long as it is replaced. Now, at least with crops, you can bone meal to speed the process back up. If a mob rule was added, you would could possibly only be left with baby animals all the time, which are useless. And it would be difficult to enforce a rule of only leaving adults, because if a mod waits 10 or so minutes before checking a modreq regarding someone only leaving babies, then it could have grown by then. Just some things to consider.

• Upvote 1

I don't even keep animals anymore because of the frustration associated with it.

(This question applies to everyone)

Has your experience on S changed because you cannot keep animals? Are you constantly starving? Are you unable to PvP? Are you unable to survive simply because you can't fill up an extra three hunger bars?

If any of the answers above is no, then I don't really understand why you need to continue debating. Killing animals has always been allowed on S, and clearly it hasn't ruined what S is about.

If you really want to keep your animals then just build a badass base to better protect or hide them, rather than change the rules for everyone.

In regards to crops being grief-able, that may actually affect people's gameplay, S has always had a bunch of public (or easy to access) farms that make it easy to keep your health and hunger high, which in turn keeps you more prepared to fight, run away, or even explore.

Think of it this way, a person who makes an animal farm is most likely going to keep those animals for themselves, whereas a person who makes a crop farm is (usually) going to leave it easy to access so others can take from it, because they know that they will replant what's taken. So crop farms are treated more like a service and making them grief-able messes with everyone that uses that farm as opposed to an animal farm where you're griefing the sole owner.

also, not being able to kill animals means we don't get to have things like this anymore.

• Upvote 3

Has your experience on S changed because you cannot keep animals? Are you constantly starving? Are you unable to PvP? Are you unable to survive simply because you can't fill up an extra three hunger bars?

Ah this made a lightbulb finally lit. My fault was, that I was thinking about it too much from a PVE stand point. I admit my playstyle even in S i PVE heavy (still haven't had a fight).

Edited by Guest

Think of it this way, a person who makes an animal farm is most likely going to keep those animals for themselves, whereas a person who makes a crop farm is (usually) going to leave it easy to access so others can take from it, because they know that they will replant what's taken. So crop farms are treated more like a service and making them grief-able messes with everyone that uses that farm as opposed to an animal farm where you're griefing the sole owner.

I'm fine either way this debate goes, but just to present all sides: if farms were made so you had to leave two, don't you think people would be less likely to hide them away. I can almost guarantee someone would make an animal farm near a road for the public.

If a mob rule was added, you would could possibly only be left with baby animals all the time, which are useless.

My understanding was that currently on S baby mobs grow up very rapidly.

If any of the answers above is no, then I don't really understand why you need to continue debating.

I think these questions presuppose an idealized playstyle on the survival server. I've said this before and I'll likely say it again, different people play on S than strictly PvPers. P may have been created to split off the non-PvPers, but that doesn't mean people don't enjoy nice things on S still. Maybe I want a cow farm because I like cows, or like cheap dyeable leather armor. Maybe I like to have better saturation (which apparently is a substantial complaint on S currently with mojang's changes to things like carrots and potatoes). Maybe i like having a chicken based player detector. etc. etc.

Would my experience on S change if I could keep animals without fear of them being griefed? Yes, absolutely. *Should* that change be made? Again, it would be a different game experience and that appeals to different people at different times, so i couldn't say without serious civil and level discussion with others.

Killing animals has always been allowed on S, and clearly it hasn't ruined what S is about.

The thing is, S is about whatever people make it to be about, generally speaking. "We've always done it this way" means nothing ever changes and nothing ever improves or gets worse. We've modified the servers considerably from vanilla with LWC, mob caps, enchantism, etc. Griefing animals is not some intrinsic aspect that defines the server's spirit, it's just one aspect of many which have been present for a long time - that time-based attribute by itself does not make it sacred.

• Upvote 1

Yeah but it would make people more likely to have their animals in the open to share with people if players had to keep 2 animals alive. Then people can farm/replant the crops, breed the animals, and kill what they want or need. It just makes more sense to me to keep 2 animals alive instead of being able to kill off the hard work of the person who had to go out and find the animals (which is a pain in the dick).

After reading this thread, I really don't think it should be a rule to leave two behind. Why?

As Denevien said above, they're entities, not blocks. Sure, that may collide with everyone's personal views of what "griefing" is, but I personally believe that grief applies to blocks, not entities.

We're allowed to steal from each-other's chests/inventories, right? Animals are also entities, whether an owner of an animal likes it or not. They're fair game, it shouldn't be otherwise because the owner worked hard for them. We have all been robbed of hard-earned diamond at some point, yes?

That doesn't sound very s.nerd.nu-y to me, leave the protected animals for P. S is supposed to be about fighting for what you want, not having it protected by the rules.

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2