On Running From Fights

Diznatch52

While I don't agree with the idea of a "flame war" on this topic, throughout the bitter back and forth going on in in-game-chat there were some good points brought. I am interested in finding out whether people believe that running from fights is detrimental to the server overall (in that it disincentivizes random PvP encounters), or if it is a necessary part of PvP (in that a person might never get into a fight unless the are assured of a win).

Personally, I dislike the concept of running from a PvP encounter, regardless of the reason (I lose many fights, and I'd rather not run in the hopes that when I am winning a fight, my opponent will do the same), and believe that either running should be disincentivized or that not-running should be incentivized. I'm not sure what should or could be done about this, if anything, and I open the floor to those who are more imaginative with these types of things than myself.

Please try to keep this discussion civil and refrain from any personal attacks. This is not about any specific person, nor should it be.

• Upvote 4

Personally, I feel there are times when it is okay to run, and times when it is not.

An example of a reasonable time to run is when you are being 2+v1'd, it is likely that you are going to loose that fight, so it would be stupid to keep fighting imo.

If the grind wasn't so annoying to get more armour back, or to repair a set, I think a lot less people would run.

EDIT: I've noted this down as something to talk about during the Survival Meeting.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 2

I am interested in finding out whether people believe that running from fights is detrimental to the server overall (in that it disincentivizes random PvP encounters), or if it is a necessary part of PvP (in that a person might never get into a fight unless the are assured of a win).

It'd be ludicrous to enforce a rule 'no, you cannot run from a fight'. A necessary part of survival is just that: Surviving. If you're unsure of whether you're going to win, you have the option of attempting to nope out. The chase is as much a part of a pvp encounter as the sword-swinging in the middle. Hell, half of fights are pearling out and repotting anyways. 

Might be considered dishonorable to run from a fight and what not, but there's no honor among thieves anyways. 

Maybe some stat that is tracked with the K/D that says what percentage of fights that happened near the initial point, so people can see who runs and who stays and fights?

I feel the K/D and the streak bits are actually doing more do discourage pvp than anything else. Quite a few times this rev I've seen people with high-up streaks avoid combat specifically to keep their sprees. KDR is doing similar.

• Upvote 10

What about something like a kill rating. I could do some math that accounts armoured kills and play time. That way, it encourages you to go out and fight, but wouldn't favor those with more time to play. So, you'd have roughly the same rating with 10 kills in 10 hours of play time as someone who has 1 kill in 1 hour of play time.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...