A New Form Of PVE Travel

Difficult1

Traveling on PVE has really evolved, with carbon becoming popular and huge changes in travel. I believe i have came up with a great way of getting places fast and at the same time looking great!

The answer is canals!

Canals are cheap, boats are cheap, and dont forget that boats are a hell of alot faster! Next revision SEA plans to start a project to make a long canal to make travel a snap. Post your thoughts, ideas, and if you would like to help build this great evolution in faster travel.

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 7

Post your thoughts, ideas, and if you would like to help build this great evolution in faster travel.

Some design questions you may want to answer, to better iron out the idea:

• Will it be above ground or below ground? If above ground, how will you deal with terrain changes like mountains, and how will you deal with oceans you run into? What y-level are you thinking?
  • Will it be point-to-point based on towns(ex: P80-Rose Canal), have point to point with coordinate based stations(ex NW-W station travel) or use some form of indirect routing(something like what carbon has)? If it's town to town how do you intend to coordinate with towns to make it happen? Network design and philosophy plays a HUGE role when working with transport networks on a large scale.
  • How wide and how deep do you plan on making the canals?
  • What kind of materials would they be made of? Stone?
  • Would it use flowing water+signs in the same way as EATS, or would it just be completely flooded water

Sounds like a fun idea. Were I not already tied up in rails next rev I might help.

• Upvote 1

Some design questions you may want to answer, to better iron out the idea:

• Will it be above ground or below ground? If above ground, how will you deal with terrain changes like mountains, and how will you deal with oceans you run into? What y-level are you thinking?
  • Will it be point-to-point based on towns(ex: P80-Rose Canal), have point to point with coordinate based stations(ex NW-W station travel) or use some form of indirect routing(something like what carbon has)? If it's town to town how do you intend to coordinate with towns to make it happen? Network design and philosophy plays a HUGE role when working with transport networks on a large scale.
  • How wide and how deep do you plan on making the canals?
  • What kind of materials would they be made of? Stone?
  • Would it use flowing water+signs in the same way as EATS, or would it just be completely flooded water

Sounds like a fun idea. Were I not already tied up in rails next rev I might help.

1) Materials would be wood or stone, cheap and easy to get

2) I would prefer mostly above ground, but of course terrain challenges are problems, but dont worry, i have came up with a system of "locks" to make up and down travel fast and easy without even breaking.

3) if you hit an ocean the canal will just empty into it. If it needed to go across, you would just go across and find an opening on the other side.

4) I was planning city to city, but if i could get more support cardinal canals would be a great help.

5) the best canal is 5 wide 3 deep total and only 2 deep water, occational step ups for people who may have fallen in.

6) Stagnate water because using controls will make it easy to pass people and you go much faster. Flowing water only lets you go one way unless you make 2 canals, much more work.

7) The canals would mostly be strait aways, curves and turns are hard to do, but with a bit of effort can be done

I'm not sure, canals seem like a difficult1 to implement for all the towns. I'm up for this as well being that I did in fact discuss this with some buddies (Mostly referring to Ethoslab's old EATS thing like 2010ish) but sounds like a good idea. Let's get this going!

• Upvote 1

Canals have actually been tried several times before, but only found use as aesthetics in single cities. The last time someone tried to do merely a test run of city-to-city canals, it died out halfway through construction. Canals are very effort-intensive; there's a lot of effort in digging out a furrow and filling it with water, especially considering it's time sensitive due to the need to acquire land in a mostly straight line. If you want to pursue this, you need to find a lot of active players willing to make this their only priority at the beginning of a revision.

Rose City built a 1000 block canal over the last two days as a test.  The canal stretches from the Center of Rose (entrances is just NW) to East Road near Port 80.  With Perms being a mjor concern this late in the rev, it was build underground just below the common depth of surface permissions.  Placing the water was an issue, and I wish I had seen some of these suggestions prior.  Fortunatly, we got a team together and completed the project.  Come check it out.

Actually, placing water next to a flowing source flows the newly placed water. I was able to fill a canal about 100 long in like 40 seconds!

The water is the fastest part!

I've been thinking about doing canals, but the difficulties of not being able to place real water made it seem too time-consuming.

With this in mind though, it's very doable. With the water problem out of the way, I think that this would be much simpler than rail systems; you don't have to worry about arrows/mobs stopping you as much, combined routes just require directing signs, ect ect.

I've been thinking about doing canals, but the difficulties of not being able to place real water made it seem too time-consuming.
With this in mind though, it's very doable. With the water problem out of the way, I think that this would be much simpler than rail systems; you don't have to worry about arrows/mobs stopping you as much, combined routes just require directing signs, ect ect.

Well if your looking to join the project we"ll be happy to have you!
I would like to talk to the road builders association and maybe organize to have the canals along the cardinal roads

Yea, that's actually one that I was thinking of, since I live near the end of the west road (almost at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe) and End Portal #3 is also close to that road.

This project is planned for next revision, when the land is clear and there are more people on to lend a hand

I really think they should be underground.  Having no perm issues and no terrain issues is great in terms of making it an effective mode of transportation.  Plus, we'll be able to add to any network late into the rev with minimal issues.  If there are turns, I don't see it being effective.

I really think they should be underground.  Having no perm issues and no terrain issues is great in terms of making it an effective mode of transportation.  Plus, we'll be able to add to any network late into the rev with minimal issues.  If there are turns, I don't see it being effective.

I agree. On that note, would all the canals just empty into some large, artificial lake underground?