A New Form Of PVE Travel

Difficult1

I really think they should be underground.  Having no perm issues and no terrain issues is great in terms of making it an effective mode of transportation.  Plus, we'll be able to add to any network late into the rev with minimal issues.  If there are turns, I don't see it being effective.

I disagree, the canals are made to be above ground, im going to mark out the routes early rev to avoid perms issues and also, Terrain wont be an issue, locks are easy to make and look great. Much like railways people like to be able to see things around them.

• Upvote 1

I'm really looking forward to this.  I won't speak for others but for me CARBON has been a great disappointment this rev. I probably have only a 40% success rate at being correctly routed as of the present, low enough that If I want to go from Seneca (NW Quad) to Praha (SW quad) I take Karts system to Rose City (SE Quad) first  then to Praha.

Canals make that issue irreverent by putting the routing back into the hands of the player.  Simple dyed wool blocks with colors / patterns  assigned to each city placed every 20-50 blocks would be all that's needed to signal where to go.

• Upvote 2

I like where this is heading. Braum is looking at building a city on a bridge next rev - maybe we'll build it over a particularly nice section of canal at the edge of a lake. On the critical side of things, is there some measure of ability to afk this system would have? Seems to me that's the major advantage rail lines have over walking and/or horse riding.

• Upvote 2

I like where this is heading. Braum is looking at building a city on a bridge next rev - maybe we'll build it over a particularly nice section of canal at the edge of a lake. On the critical side of things, is there some measure of ability to afk this system would have? Seems to me that's the major advantage rail lines have over walking and/or horse riding.

Unfortunatly, the only way to impliment an AFK system is to have flowing water in the canals. This is an issue because it requires ALOT more work. However if you had the need to go afk i may impliment some pull over areas.

• Upvote 3

It'd actually be a little easier to do flowing water since there wouldn't be as much filling, but...yea, inability to place flowing water, so that'd just be a nightmare here.

Its not an issue, safebucket water flows when you put it next to flowing water, Like i said before, the water is THE EASY part!

Well, idea was that you'd just have to place one row and let it flow, go down a block at the end of the flow and place another row, making it push boats a certain direction (since 2 lanes were discussed). Unless I'm misunderstanding that plugin entirely...I thought source blocks were the only ones that could affect flow.

I see a lot of breaking boats in the future. Could we ask nicely for a plugin that will prevent boats from breaking, or will give boats a higher durability?

I don't think this is something we would add. Every project has challenges to get around. For instance, we don't stop mobs from spawning on rail ways.

• Upvote 1

I don't think this is something we would add. Every project has challenges to get around. For instance, we don't stop mobs from spawning on rail ways.

I agree with kitcatbar on this. Simply build the canals in a way that allows the user to break a boat as little as possible. This may be difficult but that's the fun part of building.

To go with her rail example you can always make rails mob proof such as the nether rails this rev built by jsojl that are anti mob (except for babys and small magma slimes).

Edited by SwitchViewz

eh, i'm still not sold. Above ground rail is my favourite mode of travel. CARBON is above ground, which I like, but the coordinate code system is a little confusing. I just like to push a button & go.

There will still be rails, as far as I know we are still doing CARBON in Rev 13 and most likely CARTS as well. This is just an addition option to the already available options.

It's is an above ground travel method. The canals I have built are tested, going strait won't break your boat, the only thing that could is another boat, but the canal is 5 wide so that won't be a problem .

Perhaps split it in half and have each side going a certain direction?

There will still be rails, as far as I know we are still doing CARBON in Rev 13 and most likely CARTS as well. This is just an addition option to the already available options.

Perhaps split it in half and have each side going a certain direction?

This method takes 2ce as much work, with our plans on C the canal is wide enough to allow boaters to pass each other. If each boater sticks to their respective side, there will be no issue. If you wish to see it find me on P, C, or S im on them all almost every day.

This method takes 2ce as much work, with our plans on C the canal is wide enough to allow boaters to pass each other. If each boater sticks to their respective side, there will be no issue. If you wish to see it find me on P, C, or S im on them all almost every day.

Edit: I think I'll look at the canals before I suggest anything more so I know exactly how they work.

What I had before edit: Im just trying to account for the users out there that want to zig zag or go back and forth and what not. Simply adding a half slab in the middle really isn't that much more work. I will message you when I'm on next to see them.

Edited by SwitchViewz

I think canals would be a lovely addition for travel. You mentioned putting stepping stones here and there for those fallen in the canal and just wanted to remind that they need to be made two wide so that horses can get up as well.

I think canals would be a lovely addition for travel. You mentioned putting stepping stones here and there for those fallen in the canal and just wanted to remind that they need to be made two wide so that horses can get up as well.

The canals are only 1 deep to allow horses and players falling in not to be an issue.

I will be in charge of a "canal district" in Rose city while I work on the canals.