[AC->PMC] Rev 24 Planning Thread

Mrloud15

This post is to keep everyone in the loop. We would like to start rev 24 in 3-4 weeks.

Spawn

We have made a post asking for for submissions, but if we don't get any in time we will use one of previously submitted ones.

Terrain 

We will be doing the same setup we did this rev with the mix between default and amplified terrain. We need to look for a 0,0 (spawn) biome that is not ice/snow, jungle or ocean. These do not make appealing starts to revs. Players often complain of one road being entirely ocean, so that's something we ought to avoid as well. The seed should also have most of the biomes within the default area. 

Roads

Right now we have the roads setup following the cardinal directions, and it seems to work well. We don't have any plans to change the layout, but we are open to suggestions.

Plugin/Features

We will be reducing the experience plump from 8x to 4x.

We would also like to change kill streaks. We know the players don't like the current setup, but we are not sure how we are going to change it yet.

We are also looking into an alternative to safebuckets, but we have not decided on what solution to try. 

We will be updating this as we discuss more.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'd like to see if we can do is have a prominent bulletin board with information about upcoming events. Perhaps an easy-sign that messages the player with a url to the event calendar. Alternatively, or in addition, I think it would be really nice if we had a plugin that would allow players to see a list of upcoming events in-game, or to create events in that same database which would be verified by mods before being visible to players running something like "/event list".

---

Clan hall - we did not have a clan hall this revision. We briefly discussed this in an earlier sadmin meeting. /clan list and /clan roster work well enough for accessing this information, though I'm not sure that it conveys the same emotional effect of having your clan emblazoned in solid pixelated blocks in the world. In my post about submissions for rev 24 i did not include a section on clan halls so we are unlikely to have any designs sent to us. I'm not strongly leaning one way or another on this, just curious when they stopped being a thing and for what reason. I know when i explore the old maps it's kind of neat to see the clan names and players associated up on boards at spawn.

• 2 weeks later...

TheEvilRock road design: -1608 2290 on c.nerd.nu

Gizzletinks road design: 1159, -917 on c.nerd.nu

EpicMoose124 road design: x: 1115 y: 73 z:-910 on c.nerd.nu - has a novel subway setup integrated

Natdog road design: x:-2815 z:+2245 on c.nerd.nu

Natdog KOTV arena at: x:-2430,Z:+2210 on c.nerd.nu

Natdog Punt arena at: X:-2480, Z:=+2210 on c.nerd.nu

Tornadohorse spawn design: 2950, -2950 on c.nerd.nu - includes a road design

BSchilli2 has sent me an image album for a spawn he has been working on in SSP: http://imgur.com/a/KLhg8 He says it is almost complete, that it requires minimal work. I was attempting to walk him  through uploading his save file, but he was having technical issues.

• 2 weeks later...

So, as you've probably heard, we're switching over to chaos rules today and plan to have the new rev up sometime on wednesday. (That's wednesday for us Americans, your mileage may vary.)

We (your friendly neighborhood sadmins) have been working on setting up the world for the impending rev. There's a dev server up, and you're welcome to come help if you want. Just bother one of the sadmins to get whitelisted and then do /server survival-dev to switch to the dev server.

Last I checked, the roads still weren't laid fully (unless I'm mistaken), so that's one thing that needs doing. I don't think we have an arena picked out or pasted in yet, so if you have a schematic or world save with a design, we could probably use it. (If all else fails, Mrloud has a build he can upload and repurpose as an arena.)

If you have any questions, please direct them to Mumberthrax.  :biggrin:

So far my understanding of the plans that still need to be completed are:

Roads

• To 1000 blocks in each direction.
  • Portals at 300 and 800 on each road.
  • A square ring road at 800.
    • I'm assuming we're having portals along the ring road at 300-400 and 800 blocks also, confirmation on this please?

Hidden Portals

• 4 in each quadrant between around 1500-1900 both x and z coords (if that makes sense)

Signs at spawn

• Self explanatory - These include rules, announcements, SAL Leaderboard etc.

Arena (I may have missed stuff here, noob when it comes to this)

• Decide what arena we are using and paste into map
  • Create various protections - PvP on arena floor, No-PVP in stands

Protections

• Roads, Spawn, Arena, End Portal(s), Nether Portals

Spawn

• I did not build any mod cave/secret features into my spawn, so these need to be made but at a low priority.
  • A few things need neatening up - Trees around the edges, water in the punt arena

I will almost definitely have missed some things from this list, but these are the things that come to mind. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these points also, but we didn't have a checklist anywhere so I thought this might help :)

Looks like a pretty accurate to-do list, torn.

We will have portals at the corners of the ring road.

I've rewritten the /rulebook book that new players are given upon first login. I'd appreciate feedback, general criticism: https://gist.github.com/Mumberthrax/d2202780cedac1df29d9

We don't necessarily have to have arenas pasted in at launch - we just need to make sure that the areas we want them to be in are protected/reserved. A few people have messaged me saying they are working on arena designs, but are not yet ready. If nothing else, we can paste in previous submissions or old arenas before arena night.

• Upvote 1

I've set up the regions for spawn, made the jail with its applicable region and warp point, and mostly finished the admin cave. (It could use a little more decoration, probably, but that's not high on the priority list. It's got the basics though. Chest room, hot tub, jail.)

Looks like a pretty accurate to-do list, torn.

We will have portals at the corners of the ring road.

I've rewritten the /rulebook book that new players are given upon first login. I'd appreciate feedback, general criticism: https://gist.github.com/Mumberthrax/d2202780cedac1df29d9

We don't necessarily have to have arenas pasted in at launch - we just need to make sure that the areas we want them to be in are protected/reserved. A few people have messaged me saying they are working on arena designs, but are not yet ready. If nothing else, we can paste in previous submissions or old arenas before arena night.

Line 26: "on, doesn't" to "on, or doesn't" unless you cut out the or for space. In that case it's fine, since it still makes sense.

I went through the rest, and that was the only thing that stood out to me. Looks good.