For the staff (mainly): Watson is updated to 1.7.2

totemo

For the last couple of weeks, a small group of Watson "power users" (mainly server admins) have been beta testing Watson for 1.7.2.  And yesterday, LiteLoader officially updated to its 1.7.2_02 beta release, so I've made an official Watson release for LiteLoader 1.7.2_02 (beta).

That's right, Watson is now a LiteLoader mod.  Installation is also a lot easier than in previous versions.

Links:

A few things I'd like to highlight:
  • You must install mod_watson_0.5.0_mc1.7.2_02.litemod into the .minecraft/mods/1.7.2/ folder because of certain LiteLoader features it uses.  Putting it in .minecraft/mods/ will not work.
  • OptiFine works - just drop that in .minecraft/mods/1.7.2/.
  • I've managed to get Rei's Minimap working too.  Go into the Minimap Options and make sure that the MapMask option is set to "Stencil", or the map will not render properly.  Use MagicLauncher to load this mod.  Do not put the zip file in .minecraft/mods/ or .minecraft/mods/1.7.2/.  Manually set up your MagicLauncher profile to load it from somewhere else. Also expect this to crash if you chain to Forge. It's LiteLoader-only, as far as I know.
  • Watson now defines it's own screenshot key, that defaults to F12.  I recommend setting that to F2 and disabling Minecraft's screenshot key.  Watson's screenshot facilities are a superset of vanilla Minecraft's, so there is no disadvantage to this.
To my beta testers: thanks.  I recommend that you grab this update so that you're on an official LiteLoader build by Mumfrey.  That means downloading Watson and WorldEditCUI again.  Delete the liteloader-1.7.2.jar file from .minecraft/mods/1.7.2/ and run the LiteLoader installer instead.  (Linked from the Watson installation instructions.)

To the tech admins: I made one small update to materials.yml since the version that was installed on P.  I recommend downloading again to get the full force of it. :-)

Edited by totemo
  • Upvote 10

Oh, btw, you don't need to use Google Docs for builds anymore. GitHub Releases allows you to upload a build and associate it with the current state of a branch.

Ooh. This is interesting. Thank you!

EDIT: Okay: there is now a release: https://github.com/totemo/watson/releases

I was wondering why I didn't immediately switch to this when they dropped the uploads feature.  As it turns out there was quite a long gap there.

I'll tag some of the older releases and move them over to this feature another day.

Edited by totemo

Shift + Cmd + 3

I know. I was a Mac power user before actually owning one (thanks to memorizing several books on OS X beforehand). :P

But then you don't get to take advantage of Watson's awesome screenshot-management features. It groups them in folders by names in the LogBlock results, and can be set to create date-based folders when it doesn't have a user to go on.

Now if only that 1.7 issue of not being able to take screenshots with the chat pane open wasn't a problem. So annoying. :P

Yeah.  It's now over 3 months since 1.7 was released and MCP is still only Release Candidate 1, as far as I can tell.  Not that Twitter makes it easy to find information on this.  No official release.  The way things are going, I expect we will skip 1.7.4 mod support completely.  1.8 is surely soon upon us.

Yeah.  It's now over 3 months since 1.7 was released and MCP is still only Release Candidate 1, as far as I can tell.  Not that Twitter makes it easy to find information on this.  No official release.  The way things are going, I expect we will skip 1.7.4 mod support completely.  1.8 is surely soon upon us.

Keeping the game updated is great but when it happens several times before the plugin devs can catch up, its bad.  Many thanks totemo! 

• Upvote 2

A few days after his tweet, Searge started full-time at Mojang. I don't know how to computer like most of you on here, but I too have concluded that there will be no more 1.7.x mods or modding support. Which means I've been fervently hoping that 1.8 will bring the plugin API that will allow all of the computer wizards to easily update and make mods again.

A few days after his tweet, Searge started full-time at Mojang. I don't know how to computer like most of you on here, but I too have concluded that there will be no more 1.7.x mods or modding support. Which means I've been fervently hoping that 1.8 will bring the plugin API that will allow all of the computer wizards to easily update and make mods again.

I think the likelihood is that the initial version of the plugin API will be server-side only.  I have no hard evidence for that, though.  I doubt that 1.8 will ease client modding.

So I discovered today that the Macro/Keybind Mod has been updated for 1.7.2 after all.  To make updating Watson easier for myself in the future, I've separated out the Macro/Keybind Mod support stuff into a separate mod.  So Watson can update as soon as LiteLoader is available and the Macro/Keybind Mod stuff can be added by a separate download later.

The up-to-date download links for everything are as follows:

The last link also includes some links to sample configuration files for the Macro/Keybind Mod that make driving Watson a bit easier, and some installation instructions for those.

UPDATES:

• Feb 26: Watson 0.6.1 fixes a problem with the Macro/Keybind onChat event being blocked by Watson 0.6.0.
Edited by totemo
  • Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Now that MCP has finally been updated to 1.7.10 (with the likelihood that many modded will also update their mods to 1.7.10), are you going to update Watson? I'm looking forward to finally ditching 1.7.2, and leaving behind the view distance bug (on SP) and being able to take a proper F2 screenshot of the extended chat screen.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

As of today, Watson is updated to 1.7.10.

It's been tested with LiteLoader (required), Forge, Optifine, Macro/Keybind and some other stuff.

You need to make a .minecraft/mods/1.7.10/ folder to put All The Things™ in.  You can find more detailed instructions with download links for some of those other mods at the release pages:

The only new feature in this release is some new configuration settings you can use to turn off reformatting and/or recolouring of LogBlock query results in chat.

Edited by totemo
  • Upvote 8