$pudcoin

WondrLand

Seems like you would have some rampant inflation problems. If we build an Iron grinder, we could just build it over a zobmie/skele grinder and plant a nice big potato farm in layers surrounding the grinder so the mobs keep coming. This keeps the iron chunk loaded and you could just go back and forth between xp and potatoes. It would be nice if there was some kind of market cap. It seems to me it would make more sense to us a non-renewable resource. If inflation gets too bad it would make it impossible for someone who doesn't want to spend ages replanting potatoes to participate in the market. I would prefer currency to be a byproduct of mining if at all possible. Flint maybe considering it is pretty useless once the skele grinders get going.

edit: I guess you could always buy in to the market, but at that point I'd rather just trade like we normally do. Something I have too much of for something I don't have enough of.

Edited by bungpeice
  • Upvote 1

I totally agree. And because flint is initially available in much higher quantities the exchange rate at the beginning of rev would be super volatile. I see no way to get around inflation, but there is a market cap due to gravel being a finite resource. Because flint isn't renewable it would eventually standardize. Whether this would happen before the end of rev... I don't know. If it doesn't standardize then the effect would be the same and there would be no advantage or disadvantage in using it in terms of buying power. I would posit that because there is a potential for it to have a relatively stable exchange rate it is a better option. (I like building not grinding to get resources so on a purely personal level I would like a currency that I could accrue during my normal playing activities rather than adding a new "less productive" element to the game.) Just my 2 cents. Whatever happens it will be interesting to see!

Edited by bungpeice

I think asking the admins to modify the server for any type of player-run currency is too much. The idea of $pudcoin is to simply make something unusable into something usable on the server. Normally, whenever you get a poisonous potato, you toss it without a second thought. $pudcoin makes them valuable. Flint isn't a bad idea, but it's so much easier to get a doublechest of flint than a doublechest of poisonous potatoes. I should also add that flint isn't finite resource, you can trade with villagers to get flint too. 

• Upvote 1

Is there not a possibility to have emeralds -> flint or emeralds -> gravel? That would cause it to be infinite.

The trade I was thinking of is <some number of> gravel + 1 emerald -> <some number of> flint.  I don't think a straight emeralds -> flint/gravel exists, at least in vanilla gameplay.

Alright. So this thread is about $pudcoins. If you believe that a different item would do well as a currency then by all means do it. I'm simply introducing the aspect of this and only this. The base price of a $pudcoin will always be up for debate and the item used is not. If you wish to open Flintcoin or LilyBucks, then by all means do so. I think now is the time that I should speak up and say that there is no discussion about what item is used. $pudcoin is a renamed poisonous potato. That's it.

I apologize if it appears I was trying to rain on your parade as well. I like the idea of $pudcoins and want to see it succeed. Which leads to my next idea...

I might put up a silent auction place for random hard to find items that will use the $pudcoins. That will provide backing for their worth and use. Would anyone else like to do this? Could we make it part of the UMC spawn circle maybe? If it was the official currency of UMC, that would really bring it into mainstream use. Another benefit of it being located there: If we all are farming potatoes a lot, we'd have a lot of extras. We could bring those to spawn when we bid at the auction and leave them for new players to feed themselves with at a dispenser.

While we are at it, we could sell and trade chests of materials with $pudcoins, almost like an old school stock market. Remember when Rokku117 was trying to sell two double chests of leather stacks for like three weeks? :D

And price drops are kinda built in.

Anyway, yea, I like poisonous potatoes as the currency, and that item together with the exp requirement (even if it's small) requires enough work to be put into the currency, I think.

I think the $pudcoin shops will be really helpful once they get going, too. When I think about it, the redstone ones are easily modifiable. Shops could be changed in a couple minutes to sell items from anyone having trouble finding buyers.

• Upvote 2

You either wouldn't be able to buy Diamonds with $pudcoin due to the value of it going down to Dirt, or the value of Dirt would rise. Which it honestly wouldn't as it's so common.

If the majority of $pudcoin trades are for Dirt, the value of it would plummet and it would become incredibly useless. Whereas if the majority of trades were for say, Diamonds, the price would skyrocket and essentially become the same worth as Diamonds. It's a repetition of whatever's on demand for $pudcoin.

Trade useless things = $pudcoin becomes useless.

Trade useful, rare things = $pudcoin becomes worth a lot.

The price should always be changing, like Bitcoin, Dogecoin, etc.

Edited by EeHee2000