Admanta's New AMA!

admanta

I had an old AMA from when the forums started but since it's been close to a year since there has been a reply I figured I'd give it another go.

First off I'll answer a few of the questions I ask frequently to others in their AMA's

My favorite hot sauce is Sirracha

My favorite alcoholic beverage is Anchor Steam beer, brewed a few blocks away from my house.

My favorite soda was Surge until they discontinued it in the USA but Monster is an acceptable substitute.

I have a cat named Kitty (my brother named her) that also responds to the name Cat.`

Best friends on the server, in no particular order:

Dumbo52

Difficult1

Letsbefehr

buzzin

Tacodude, who looks enough like me that it's creepy.

Eehee

buzzie

marting

Kennya

Kevo

Char

Magnyus

Shanty

Verros

Rockonn

Mastercomathe

and many many others.

The very very few people I dislike know who they are and are welcome to identify themselves by down voting me.

• Upvote 2

I had an old AMA from when the forums started but since it's been close to a year since there has been a reply I figured I'd give it another go.

First off I'll answer a few of the questions I ask frequently to others in their AMA's

My favorite hot sauce is Sirracha

My favorite alcoholic beverage is Anchor Steam beer, brewed a few blocks away from my house.

My favorite soda was Surge until they discontinued it in the USA but Monster is an acceptable substitute.

I have a cat named Kitty (my brother named her) that also responds to the name Cat.`

Best friends on the server, in no particular order:

Dumbo52

Difficult1

Letsbefehr

buzzin

Tacodude, who looks enough like me that it's creepy.

Eehee

buzzie

marting

Kennya

Kevo

Char

Magnyus

Shanty

Verros

Rockonn

Mastercomathe

and many many others.

The very very few people I dislike know who they are and are welcome to identify themselves by down voting me.

Ah yes, you must watch out for those few, they seemed to have fun with my AMA.

Question: If you where to make anyone a staff member who would it be and why? (not including yourself or those already in a staff position)

• Upvote 1

What would you rate your ceiling from 0 to 10, 0 being disgusting? 

I keep my house clean so I'd say a 9.5

Question: If you where to make anyone a staff member who would it be and why? (not including yourself or those already in a staff position)

Verros to be admin again.  He was more fun than a barrel of monkeys with flamethrowers.

• Upvote 2

Anchor Steam eh? I NOW KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.

If that is actually true, have you been to Ganim's? It's right up the hill from the brewery on 18th st. Best burgers in my opinion. Plus it's a nice place to watch the Giants and catch a bite.

Also, if you've been to any of the Off The Grid's, what is your favourite food truck?

And I'll ask in threes, song you can listen to and enjoy no matter what?

• Upvote 1

Anchor Steam eh? I NOW KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.

If that is actually true, have you been to Ganim's? It's right up the hill from the brewery on 18th st. Best burgers in my opinion. Plus it's a nice place to watch the Giants and catch a bite.

Also, if you've been to any of the Off The Grid's, what is your favourite food truck?

And I'll ask in threes, song you can listen to and enjoy no matter what?

I have, great burgers. Also Goat Hill Pizza is nearby with their AMAZING SF sourdough crust, expensive but so worth it.

I eat at SOMA Streatfood park around once a month, my favorite truck is Adam's Grub Truck

That last question is the easiest for me to answer, It's Rhapsody In Blue by George Gershwin. The piece tells the story of a European immigrant coming to the USA, having success and folly along the way before falling in love and eventually living happily ever after all with out a single word being spoken.

SOMA Streatfood, is this the one that's located across the street from Costco? There's so many food truck parks I lose track of them all. My favorites are Onigilly and Phat Thai. Clearly i love me some Asian food.

How'd you get into scuba diving?

Any other builds planned for the next C revision?

If not, would you be open to building a few aircraft on the carrier I plan on building?

• Upvote 1

SOMA Streatfood, is this the one that's located across the street from Costco? There's so many food truck parks I lose track of them all. My favorites are Onigilly and Phat Thai. Clearly i love me some Asian food.

How'd you get into scuba diving?

Any other builds planned for the next C revision?

If not, would you be open to building a few aircraft on the carrier I plan on building?

Yup, SOMA Streatfood is the one next to costco. Great place to grab a burger, beer and watch a game.

I'm in general drawn towards the unknown/unfamiliar because that's where the most interesting things tend to be at. So it was antural then when visiting the Caribbean for a few weeks I'd learn how to scuba dive.   

Now that Vortex is back I intend on doing  a true sequel to mini empire.  This rev's version was mainly killed by my lack of motivation and ideas on how to improve. 

Also, you really think I'm going to stop building planes? I'll happily build planes for your carrier, just make it a decent looking one or they won't be on it, they'll be attacking it.

Chipotle or Qdoba.

Both, spice variety is the spice of life

What's your most entertaining long-winded description of Australia? 

The most annoyingly good natured people in the worth with the most annoyingly lethal wildlife in the world. 

If you could meet anyone from the server in real life, who would it be and why?

Magnyus for a burger and beer.

WayneByNumbers to talk science with.

Austo to give a sedative to.

Vortex Just to hear what his voice sounds like. (seriously get a fucking mic alread)

• Upvote 1

Do people get in line?

Do you even lift?

Whats your opinion on CARBON?

Whos the best god?

Yes they do get in line... For this dick.

No, I don't lift, but I go on a 3+ mile hike once a week so my legs look amazing.

CARBON this rev of PVE was at best a disappointment for me. It was kind of like communism, a terrific idea in concept that started to get seriously mucked up when those damn humans got involved.

:Chicken:Waldo :Chicken:   There is no other gods who can compare, not Talos, not Xenu and certianly not the damn lever.

• Upvote 1

What's it like to be a piece of shit?

Imagine you're eating a watermelon - describe it in deep detail.

IE: Weight to the gram, how far you could throw it, how many milligrams of sugar there are on average per bite, what shade of green each stripe is. 

First off, because I always ask; WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR UNDERWEAR?
Secondly, if you invented a submarine that could fly, what would you call it? 

3. What are some things you like to do other than minecraft/video games?

4. do you prefer shopping in store, or online?

5. when was the last time you visited a McDonalds?

6. Being Jewish, what is your stance on pork? 

7. Also being Jewish, what is your stance on Palestine, since it seems to be a big disagreement among Jewish and Islamic people.

8. Where would you go to get coffee?

9. favorite videogame?

What's it like to be a piece of shit?

Imagine you're eating a watermelon - describe it in deep detail.

IE: Weight to the gram, how far you could throw it, how many milligrams of sugar there are on average per bite, what shade of green each stripe is. 

Probably not very nice, the sewers look like an unpleasant place.

eFirst off, because I always ask; WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR UNDERWEAR?

Secondly, if you invented a submarine that could fly, what would you call it? 

3. What are some things you like to do other than minecraft/video games?

4. do you prefer shopping in store, or online?

5. when was the last time you visited a McDonalds?

6. Being Jewish, what is your stance on pork? 

7. Also being Jewish, what is your stance on Palestine, since it seems to be a big disagreement among Jewish and Islamic people.

8. Where would you go to get coffee?

9. favorite videogame?

1. Black

2. Awesome!

3. I enjoy volunteering at the Exploratorium twice a week.  The Exploratorium is quite literally the world's finest hands on science museum, they were the folks who changed science museums from a place where you went to see things to a place where you went to do things. A subtle but important difference.

I'm an avid hiker and go on a minimum of one 3-7 mile hike every week in my city or surrounding area. Lately I've been enjoying exploring the Precidido, a huge former military base Next to the Golden Gate Bridge that was closed in the early 1990's and has been returned to the city as a park/neighborhood run in cooperation with the national parks service.  Very very beautiful place with about 25 miles of trails through out it.

I enjoy giving platelets. I donated a total of 16 times last calendar year.

I'm a sucker for airshows. To this day one of the coolest things I've ever experienced was a B-1B bomber breaking the sound barrier 1000 feet above the crowd at the Miramar Airshow.  You could feel the sound in your body in a very odd way, it felt like was literally shaking the organs around inside of your chest cavity.

I also enjoy tinkering on various projects at home.  Here is one that was blogged about. http://tinkering.exploratorium.edu/2014/02/27/adams-light-sutro-tower

4. Depends on what I'm buying.  I buy most video games online but buy most of my books in store.  You can't crack open a video game and take a look through it the same way you can a book.

5. I live 2 blocks away from one, last time I was there I got 4 apple pies on my way to the museum for breakfast. 

6. Pork is great if properly cooked. In general I avoid it though because it's frequently very dry and/or salty, however I love Love LOVE me some BBQ pork ribs.

7. When I was younger I had a very hard line/right wing 1 Israel undivided, no Palestinian statehood attitude. Today though I see that that's just not a realistic solution and have come to accept both the reality that the Palestinians were given a pretty raw deal by Israel and that their statehood is an inevitability.

8. My mom and I get coffee at Starbucks every Sunday morning  before I leave for museum duty.

9. I've been playing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Annihilation on and off for nearly 20 years.  To this day it's my favorite game ever.

Edited by admanta
  • Upvote 2

My advice about biology (especially marine bio):

Biology is an inherently messy science in several ways.

• It's complicated stuff and there are lots of variations.
  • Be prepared for a lot of trials before you end up with a result.
  • Prepared to go to unusual places and unusual lengths to collect data. The things that are easy to study generally already have been.
  • It's literally messy or stinky in many cases. This goes 10X if it's mycology (fungi) 100X if you're in marine biology and 1000X forensic entomology.

The calculus classes you'll need to take are generally useless unless you're involved computer modeling. If that's the case pay attention, you'll be using that every day. The statistics classes you'll take are  MUCH more valuable. Seriously try and get an A in them if at all possible.  You'll be using statistics pretty much every time you process data into information. Start becoming an excel spreadsheet master. If your school offers a basic excel class take it. You'll use it to quantify and process data into meaningful results.

Latin is useful to know, you'll be encountering a lot of it, and knowing it will make your life easier especially at test/quiz time. Even a basic free online class or a few lectures from YouTube will be extremely helpful.

We know that  around 35% if what's in our bio textbooks is wrong, we just have no idea which 35% it is. If you like the sound of that then biology is for you, If you don't, then I recommend you find another science to learn.  I've literally been in a class where a major scientific discovery mid semester had us going back to an earlier section and relearning about it correctly.

Always cite your work, there is never an acceptable excuse not to. Learn how to do a good bibliography and notes section early, you have no concept of the huge number you'll do over your schooling. Good tools existed online at the time of my education (5 + years ago) to help out with it, I cant imagine they aren't significantly better now.

Learn how to read a scientific paper. This is a much more challenging task than most people give it credit for because scientific papers are designed to cram as much information as they can in a concise space. You'll need to know how to unpack the contents in a way that is meaningful if you want to get the information out of them.

This is just my advice,

The cool bio facts will come latter today in a separate post.

• Upvote 3