[PMC] Removing Notes

TornadoHorse

Hullo!

Recently on Survival I've heard of quite a few people successfully trying to get their notes removed. I've checked through the rules page and couldn't see anything on adding or removing notes, is there an unwritten policy on this?

The circumstances where I've seen this happen have been with fairly high profile players with 6+ notes. The majority of their notes have been legitimate, and without them it takes a lot longer to find out who has done what. A player came to me today asking whether they'd be able to have some of their notes removed due to them being from when they very first joined the server, the notes for minor things such as "minor grief on S - cauldron". I don't think there's too much harm in removing notes like this, however I don't think that important notes should really ever be removed.

What do you all think about this?

I tried bringing this up once, but it was a busy time and it was forgotten. My thought on it would be treat it like a ban. They file a request on the forums, and whoever issued it removes it. That way we still have evidence it existed, though mods would have to check the forums when they plan to warn someone. It has its ups and downs, but I feel it is worthy of discussion.

I don't think it should be anything formal like a ban appeal. That's just adding a whole new process that could probably done without imo. What is the purpose of a note? My understanding of it is that it's not as a warning to the player, but a reference for us to know what they've done in the past to aid us in how we deal with future circumstances. Getting rid of recent notes seems to me like it eliminates the purpose of a note. What about after a certain amount of time has passed (6+ months?) that the note can be removed providing that sort of behaviour hasn't been repeated?

• Upvote 1

I also agree with what Torn just said, we don't need an appeal section for notes, it just would feel silly. We shouldn't go removing notes all easily. They have to deserve them being removed. A time limit would be different for so many people, some players who've had notes for a year still deserve to have those notes.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps stipulate that major infractions (anything that could result in a ban by itself, but hasn't) and bans be kept indefinitely. Minor infractions (minor grief/spam/inappropriate language)  should be retained for 6 months to a year if there are not more recent related infractions (since together these might justify a ban).

• Upvote 1

I have a note from a long ago past on S... it stated that I can be a jerk.  it serves as a warning to myself that I need to weigh each interaction.  do you all need to know that I can be a jerk?  I believe that notes should be reviewed, and potentially eliminated.  I would wish that my reminder not be though.  - just me view.