Planning thread for June donation drive

Ludeman84

CutePVP does have a TeamManager class and I'm currently working on cleaning it up and making it all configurable since atm it is hard coded for specific teams. I can easily expose team and player information that way. What info do you need from the teams specifically?

The main things would be just team name, chat prefix and suffix if that's a concept, and team colour.  And membership of course.  A custom TeamMembershipEvent would probably be helpful when a player is assigned to a different team.

By non-build I meant pre-set, as in everything on the map is set up already, players cannot edit it. Players spawn with an iron sword, full leather armor, and a bow/arrows. The idea is to have 2 or 4 teams total for this map... eh it's easier to show you. Setting up the map now.

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing down your ideas, but spawning players with gear and not allowing them to build would really take away from what CTF is about. At that point the only thing left in gameplay is clicking at each other.

A major part of CTF is supplying your team; supplying them quicker and better than the enemy can. There's also the issue of getting to your enemy. With a preset, unchangeable map, attack routes are limited. We can't take strategy out of the game; that's what makes it so fun. Not the PvP, although confrontations were great. Hell, last CTF my team spent the time to create a map-spanning rail tunnel to blue team's base, and the effort paid off for us. Let players decide how the game will be played. Outwitting and outplaying the enemy by working with your team made everyone want to stay around. Teammates were working quite literally around the clock to get armor, weapons, potions, and a steady food supply for everyone. The sense of urgency is stripped away when gear is equal and free. Also something to keep in mind, this event is for players from all servers. I can't imagine limiting it to strictly PvP would go over well with players from PvE and Creative, nor many Survival players.

• Upvote 2

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing down your ideas, but spawning players with gear and not allowing them to build would really take away from what CTF is about. At that point the only thing left in gameplay is clicking at each other.

I agree with kitcatbar here. I think at the most we should provide a fairly basic pre built area, but allow the players to customize from there. Many of the people that will be playing this event are not interested in pvp and will be more into the building and fortification side of things. 

I agree with kitcatbar here. I think at the most we should provide a fairly basic pre built area, but allow the players to customize from there. Many of the people that will be playing this event are not interested in pvp and will be more into the building and fortification side of things. 

Right on, it can be changed lol. Only thing set up so far is about 40-50 blocks, can fill everything else with caves/ores/blah

Rockonn, the design of these maps and bases is extremely important and, honestly, a very difficult task. I'm concerned that you've already started without really getting a clear go ahead from the rest of the team.

I would appreciate it if you could stop work for the moment and show us what you have. We all need to be on board with this very important feature before moving forward. If you're working on a server please post the IP so we can check it out. Thanks.  

Rockonn, the design of these maps and bases is extremely important and, honestly, a very difficult task. I'm concerned that you've already started without really getting a clear go ahead from the rest of the team.

I would appreciate it if you could stop work for the moment and show us what you have. We all need to be on board with this very important feature before moving forward. If you're working on a server please post the IP so we can check it out. Thanks.  

By all means. The issue at the moment though is that my map isn't rendering on my server. I've imported it from my single-player world, but cannot get it to render in its Multiverse. I'm looking for an updated version of MCEdit to export it & paste it into another area.

On another note, keep in mind that I started this about a week before this thread popped up.

Guest Former Staff

On another note, keep in mind that I started this about a week before this thread popped up.

Even more reason to stay involved with the event team without going too far ahead. I like your commitment so far, let's hone it to ensure that your efforts can be put to use.

I'm definitely interested in helping to build. I think I understand where ROCKONN is coming from by trying to start on his own. From our (mod) perspective, nothing has been started other than this forum discussion, and there doesn't appear to be a defined process for us to follow from past events. I'm not saying there isn't a process, only that I'm not aware of it, and he's taking the initiative to start something, which is admirable. Why don't you tell us what we should be doing right now, such as, build example wall segments that fix such and such parameters, or build an example flag capture area that will fit in a 100x100 area. Also where we should place it (possibly a specific area on C?).

Of course it's wonderful that initiative was taken. I'm very happy about that, but at the same time we haven't come to a solid conclusion on sizes and designs yet so it's important not to go too far too fast, especially without additional input from other team members. Now that a bit of work has already been done I think it would be good for us all to see what we have before moving forward. 

• Upvote 1

Ok, so before we start map building, we need to come to a consensus on the layout of the map. I have been upgrading our CTF plugin to work with any number of teams rather than the previous hard coded 4. I am almost finished with that and will begin working on the multi server functionality. You can connect to my test server at mc.slide.ws anytime, though it may be up and down randomly.

Here is the layout I have been thinking of where the

Base is editable by that team only

Flag area editable by no one

Wilderness editable by everyone and

No Mans Land either editable by all, or maybe only place portals somehow?

It could also be square but I liked the circle better. It is 750m wide total, so would be 750m to the opposite teams flags approx. The multiple flag locations would allow the flag to change location randomly which would stop the enemy team from camping the flag.

Please let me know if you are good with this layout so we can proceed.

sNF9itn.png

• Upvote 1

I'm not sold on the large number of flags.  In past CTF's you'd be hard pressed to get a single player guarding just the one flag.  Depending on the scale of this you'd now need up to 12 people keeping an eye on them, or else you resign yourself to a purely reactive style of game where by the time you discover that the flag is gone it's already well outside the base.  If, as is normal, you are working inside the base, then the flag carrier has a significant head start on you.  If it's not possible to defend, then it will just come down to the number of players on a team actively trying to steal flags.

In short, I think we need to be careful about scale in order to ensure that players can feasibly build defenses.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/491y74e390napei/Sewers.zip

Sufficient copy/pasting is needed to finish the existing structure. That structure then needs to be copied into the other 3 quadrants. After that, the central sewer tunnels/canals need to be constructed, as well as the central flag area. The overall structure will take up about 300x300 blocks, square. Perhaps we should just use this as the central area for a ctf map.

The coordinates for the structure are -7000, 20, 560. I had to WorldDownload this off of my plot server, so its a bit screwy.

I'd also like to participate in the map designing/base construction.

There was an idea I had for outposts that could be captured for potion buffs, similar to koth last CTF, except there'd be more of them and they could be fortified by teams. The protections for these would be minimal as it would not be vital to have them. I feel it'd create more of a campaign kind of structure where teams would be able to compete for control over areas of the map. Is this viable?

I'd be more inclined to keep it to just one flag though. It'll force teams into bottlenecks that they can focus on.

• Upvote 2

Previously someone mentioned the stalemate that occurred. I propose the following resolution:

The rules should state: Flag bearers are not allowed to enter their base (Protected area.), only the flag capture area.

Modreq could serve to identify the problem, and /thor will resolve it. Simple.

Right, so considering the fact that we need to continue to move forward with developing this event, and the fact that the final gameplay will be significantly different than what rockonn had originally assumed (hopefully we can incorporate as many of his ideas and work into the map as possible), slide has moved forward with developing the terrain for the maps (along with the plugins that will run the event). It basically follows the plan he posted above. There will be one of these maps for each team.

jWPfA4B.jpg

Some notes:

• We're thinking 4 flag respawn points instead of 12.
  • Ores will be plumped but not excessively so.
  • We will ensure that both sides have equal access to resources, unlike last time.
  • Tharine had the idea of turning the leaves in at least some of the forest areas into wool that the teams can then harvest and use to construct defenses, similar to the wool mountains from last time. 

Hopefully the maps will be finalized within a day or so. At that point we'll upload them to the event server and whitelist it to mods and admins that want to help with the prebuilt portions of the bases (located in the second ring where the flags will be). No design for that has really been talked about, so be thinking about that. We'll also need builders for KOTH, probably a 100x100 area. 

• Upvote 2

So here is the newest carto, it has more water and is the correct size! (doh lol) You can connect to mc.slide.ws and then type /server blue to check it out. Please have a look around and let me know of anything weird. This is what I know of so far:

Lava near edge is a "wall" in some places not sure how to fix that yet.

7K4TGl3.png

• Upvote 2

Map looks good, I'll try to throw in a bit of feedback though.

1. Is there meant to be cobblestone on the mountains? I thought either it's supposed to be smooth stone, or would be substituted for team wool later.

2. Wheat grass/ferns come in clusters. Again, not a big deal, just something weird.

3. Any chance of adding forests? It's always nice to sneak around the map to the enemy's base. And I guess we might need them for crafting stuffz,

4. Where would the bases be placed? I explored it assuming they would be at the opposite ends of the border of grass and lava. I'm worried the space between the bases might be too small, if that is the case. I sprinted from one end to the other, (flying over the mountains since teams will dig tunnels through them pretty quickly, so the time was about the same) and it look me about 3 minutes to cross the circle. I know a lot of people said the last map was too big, but a smaller map and easier to traverse terrain might be too much. If the bases are in opposite corners of the map in the lava sections then the distance would probably be fair.