[AC] 2014 Donation Drive

slide

I'll start off:

1) What are the goals for this drive?

Just to get enough money to cover us for our current setup for the next 6-12 months? Do we want to look into getting a second box for more servers? If so, we could use it for events, testing out new types of servers etc.

2) What kind of game for the event?

People still love CTF, so no real need to change that, however something new could be fun.

3) When should the event take place?

I'd say no earlier than 2 months from now. ESPECIALLY if it requires any kind of custom plugin. We HAVE to have it all (map/plugin etc) setup like 3 weeks in advance. I don't want to be responsible for another failed event because we ran out of time. I'd say we don't even announce the event until it's completely setup and ready to go.

If we decided on CTF or another game mode that needs a custom map I'm more than willing to make it or work with others to make it. I'm in my last week if the semester so I'll have plenty of time on my hands.

That being said, people really look forward to CTF. I think having that again, perhaps with some new twists (like with the buff blocks) could be good.

• Upvote 1

For a 24-hour continuous gameplay event, CTF fits the bill quite nicely - that and we have the plugin for it covered, I think.  I'm interested in hearing alternatives though - buch's space event? A modified form of Zombies/Infection?

<insert shameless plug for silly TNT fishing feature here>

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever we decide to do, I think we need to get some plans going soon. There has not been much discussion about it here, so perhaps we should move this thread to PMC or create a similar one there.

Personally, I think having a the space event and a CTF event in the same year/summer would not a bad idea even if we only use one as a donation drive. I think a CTF event could be a safer option since we have done a few in the past, but I'm not sure if should go with the safer option for a donation drive.

Personally, I think having a the space event and a CTF event in the same year/summer would not a bad idea even if we only use one as a donation drive. I think a CTF event could be a safer option since we have done a few in the past, but I'm not sure if should go with the safer option for a donation drive.

I agree. One for fun, the other for fun and a donation drive. If we have a CTF, I just want us to decide on some specs and I can make a proper map since I learned from making the last one. Our biggest issue would be the plugin. Would we use the same one as last time? And if so, does it need to be updated?

I need to do a full audit of donations and expenses in the past to separate it from my personal finances and find our true balance, and I will do this thoroughly and send it to you both soon (before this tax season ends).  I've been very busy with work, but I'm finally going to talk to an accountant regarding any $$$ I might owe on past MCPublic money (don't worry, I will pay this out of pocket, not from donations), so I need to do this soon.  After doing this once I think i should make it public for all the head admins, so we can keep it updated and transparent from here forwards.

Once we get all the numbers from Nat, we will get a Google Doc set up that helps keep track of how much we have at any given point.

Did we ever get these numbers?

I reached out to buch to see how far he is with his event and will update when I find out. I would love if we could do it for our 5 year anniversary as that is kinda huge! The 10th is a Tuesday so we could either do it the previous or following weekend. If we choose the previous weekend that gives us exactly 1 month. I think we should announce maybe 2 weeks in advance but i don't want to make the announcement until everything is setup and known to be working. Which ideally gives us 2 weeks to set everything up. If bach is close to having this working we may be able to use his event.

If we use the same setup as last time, i know we can get that up in time without any worry. In fact, I am going to go ahead and start prepping it and even if we do go with buchs idea, it can be a backup.

We definitely haven't heard back? Poked slide yesterday(?) asking if he spoke to buch and haven't heard back.

So my offer to make the map is still on the table. I have the time, and have learned how to do it properly from making the last CTF map. I'm not going to start anything until we have a plan/theme. I say we get the basic ground work done here before moving this to Mod Chat Private as we normally do. Some things to consider:

1. Are we using the same plugin as last time? Are we going to tweak it at all, or add anything new? If so, what should be added?
  2. Any theme for the map/bases? I think my map was a bit too easy to travel last time. I didn't want crossing to bases to be as easy as the previous CTF, but in doing so I made it too easy. It was very difficult to catch up with flag holders if you didn't have a fast horse.
  3. How many teams? With 4, we've seen 1 or 2 teams kind of give up during the match. With 2 like last time, despite my best efforts to yell at teammates not to give up, people were still demoralized by the end. 2, 3, or 4 teams still seem like our best option. Having 3 might be interesting.
  4. To address teams being demoralized, what events/perks can we introduce, if any, during the event to spice things up? Half way through the last one a third buff point was added. Would we do something similar?
  5. Do we want to keep buff points at all? I thought they were a positive addition, but when there was a team unbalance they could be crippling to the losing team. This ties in to 4, but perhaps if things get too unbalanced we could block the buff for a set time (say a half hour or hour depending on the severity) to allow to losing team to pick itself up.
  6. How much should be plump ores? I think having the plump higher than it currently is on P would be good. Yes people on P say it's high, but that's for a revision. For CTF people need to be able to mine mass amounts of materials for swords and armor that they'll lose often in fights, but I fully admit it was too much last time. World Painter is a shitty place to plump ores (can only do full percentages D:<) so that program will definitely only be touching the top of the map.
  7. Thoughts on custom spawners? We'll at least need blaze and ghast spawners for potions, but should any others be included?
  8. How long will this run? Last time we did 48 hours, and the previous ones have been 24. How did the times compare?

Other things to consider:

1. No way we can have naturally flowing water and lava after the stunt BCB pulled last time. I'm fine with sitting this CTF out to moderate to keep up with requests, but in no way do I want players to have to deal with that again when we can avoid it.
  2. Lets be sure that we have chest access, button presses, lever flips, etc logged so we can better moderate team grief. I remember my first CTF it sucked to know someone was stealing and have the mods tell me there was nothing that could be done.

I can help with CTF prep and testing as well, please.

I'd stick with square/rectangular bases again for ease of protections. Team numbers is always a tough choice, having more teams means they can work together or get discouraged easier. I felt the buffs worked well and added an element to the pvp nature, and when we added the third last time I felt it definitely contributed. I feel a decently hefty ore plump is a good idea, absolutely. I think the spawners for potions were good last time, we could always add in some more fun ones as well. I felt while the 48 hours was good for allowing slightly more people to play, I felt it both dragged on a bit on the second day and took a bit away from the normal server gameplay for a bit too long.

And I agree, no flowing liquids and yes please have logblock log all things per usual on P/S.

I haven't spoken to buchanman for maybe a week, but when last I spoke to him his map was incomplete, and the game itself was still sort of in the planning stages - he was thinking a plugin might need to be written for it, though depending on how the game would be designed I imagine it might be possible with command blocks or something, or possibly just vanilla mechanics. He wanted to have the map put on one of the nerd development servers so people could help out with designing it, and was trying to get ahold of a techadmin to do that, though I'm not certain if he was successful.

Buch contacted me in IRC about a week ago about putting the map for his event on a nerd testing server. I told him that it was possible and I figured that he would get back to me with a world save or similar, but I haven't heard from him since. I also offered to help with writing a plugin for it and he seemed pretty enthusiastic. We also discussed the mechanics of the event slightly, but we went no further than figuring out how space suits would work before he timed out.

According to /seen, he was on S just last night. Has anyone tried to contact him via in-game mail or similar?

Personally, I'd like us to try something other than a CTF this time around. Or, at the very least, some big changes to the mechanics - this would be our fourth CTF in a row and while I do agree that CTFs are plenty of fun, it might pay off to try something different for a change. However, the deadline of the 5th anniversary doesn't necessarily allow this.

Count me in for testing too.  I'm not sure how well this will work, but if the goal is to keep teams evenly matched in terms of points, perhaps give some sort of buff to the team that's lagging behind by a certain number of points, that's not one of the buffs that can be captured on the map?  And then disable that buff after the difference in points has been narrowed below that threshold?

Yay look at all the activity! lol

So I did get a response from buch as follows

Yes, I can try to get everything done, but the process will be sped up much faster if the planning server is set up somewhere, preferably event.nerd.nu. (Although I need TheAcademcian for this, as she has my map). 

However, 98% of the map so far is built by me and I don't regard myself as a brilliant builder. It would greatly help if we get some people to help (so I may make a thread for that in private mod chat).

As for the map, I have the buffs almost set up, most of the asteroids/mines set up, and spawn set up. I just need feedback on what to add, plugins, and help with pasting in an asteroid belt.

I think this can be done in two weeks, but I'm more worried about the plugins because I have almost no knowledge of java. This makes me rely on others, and smiler showed interest.

I'm not really confident in using that event if entire new plugins need to be written in time. Personally, I would recommend we go with the CTF and add some tweaks if we want too. I think this could be a really strong event to play up to bring in new people as well as get the existing player base fired up. With that in mind, we need something solid that we know will work. We would have 3 weeks from Fri/Sat (depending on when we run it) so for me to be comfortable with announcing, that's just over a week to get it "setup and working" so we can announce it 2 weeks in advance.

I think, for the 5th anniversary, it would be prudent to stick to CTF. It's popular, we're familiar with it and the usual problems that may surface, and it should be easier to get it done on time. Buchanman's game might be better for sometime later on, when there's less of a deadline situation.

I'm also in favor of the 48-hour event. It provides more time to play if someone has to miss out on a larger part for one reason or another.

I'm fine with sitting this CTF out to moderate to keep up with requests, but in no way do I want players to have to deal with that again when we can avoid it.

I don't know if that'll be necessary or not? Where there concerns before with moderators accidentally/intentionally committing espionage by modreq? I'd think we have enough moderators to keep up with flow reqs. (Otherwise I suppose we could limit it to admins and all be a little less involved with team strategy.)

I think, for the 5th anniversary, it would be prudent to stick to CTF. It's popular, we're familiar with it and the usual problems that may surface, and it should be easier to get it done on time. Buchanman's game might be better for sometime later on, when there's less of a deadline situation.

I'm also in favor of the 48-hour event. It provides more time to play if someone has to miss out on a larger part for one reason or another.

I don't know if that'll be necessary or not? Where there concerns before with moderators accidentally/intentionally committing espionage by modreq? I'd think we have enough moderators to keep up with flow reqs. (Otherwise I suppose we could limit it to admins and all be a little less involved with team strategy.)

In the past (until the last CTF I think, which still had people acting as staff full time) staff members either played or moderated. I'm fine with being able to switch between the modes again, I just had the old system in mind.

I liked how last we could switch last time. Though i'm not sure what modreqs we really had besides team grief ones? Flow was on by default i think. I am going to go ahead and get the server prepped with the plugins tonight to see what needs to be done plugin wise.

Hrm I don't remember us turning flow off. I know blue team surrounded their entire base with water and i thought that was closer to the end of the event. Oh well.

I've got the server setup running 1.7.9 at hostkey.nerd.nu:35565 and the ctf plugin seems to be working beautifully.

Ah! So now we need to think about specifics for this event. What tweaks do we want to make to the gameplay? The following are some things we can change

• Number/position of flags per team
  • Different block effects (step on a block and a potion effect is applied to you)
  • I think totemo originally wanted to use MobDisguise with the event, which would be very cool.
  • The overall 'theme'?