[AC] 2014 Donation Drive

slide

@kitcatbar : when do you think you could have the map ready?

I'm going to get the event server setup with some extra dimensions so we can start building the bases and stuff. I would really like to try to get them done this week.

I've found one bug so far, it seems you can destroy your own flag and it will drop the wool block and respawn the flag essentially giving infinite wool. 

I've found one bug so far, it seems you can destroy your own flag and it will drop the wool block and respawn the flag essentially giving infinite wool.

The flags are in protected regions, and all the interacts should be right-click so the protecting doesn't interfere, right?

I found a seed I liked that composed of mostly extreme hills around the spawn point. I chose this to allow me to exaggerate the mountains' features rather than making them from scratch to both save time and give a more natural feel. Tom plumped ores and added in ones like emerald, quartz, glowstone, clay, and soul sand. Together we cleared the map of vegetation and snow so I can put it into World Painter and change biomes with ease.

This is an artistic representation of the map layout. Seriously though, I made it only intending it to be for my reference so it's very low effort, but it gets the job done. Figured others would want to see it. The red and blue squares are the areas for the team bases. Buff block courses will be in the ice spikes, jungle, and meadow areas. The meadow area is going to be a peaceful area with a large tree with a climbing course, with the buff block inside it. I don't have a solid plan for the other buffs yet. Inside the center ring of mountains (brown ^'s) I planned for a wasteland area of mesa/desert, but now that I think of it it could be a good spot for nether areas. The meadow will either be in a valley surrounded by mountains or on a plateau to separate it from the harsh land around it.

RCguQwL.png

When should this be switched to MCP? We need help for building the buffs, bases, and mini games. I'm starting work part time after this week so I'm going to try to make this as fast as I can while I have free time. Do we wait for the finished map?

Kitcat, you should put that crayon drawing on your fridge.  :wink:

Looks good to me. Of course, making the terrain harder doesn't necessarily make late-game caps harder. Last time, my team built a tunnel for faster traveling. We'd come out a hidden door not far from the enemy base, steal the flag, and vanish underground.

Also, I came up with an idea for a mean trick. For whatever reason, I've had TNTrees on my mind lately. Could put a few in around the mixed forests for some amusing chaos at the beginning of the event. (Player punches tree, TNT goes boom.)

We had a railway CTF of 2012 for that redwall, and I loved the work that went into it. Last year my team had no tunnel since the land was easy enough to use (which might explain our lose). I'm hoping this will force road building to make the teams have more tasks other than strict PvP, since not everyone enjoys that.

As for TNT trees, I think I prefer non-buff areas to be dangerous because of player made traps, rather than us putting TNT around. Also, progress shot for the heck of it.

FwFHqLY.png

Ores are done. They're plumped higher than the current ore plump on P (minus iron since there's so much) plus emeralds, quartz, and soul sand are added in as ores. Also, caves will be normal this time, which should make mining much better. My mistake last map was that I made a map in World Painter, thinking I could add in vanilla caves and do the plump later. That's not the case, as I learned the hard way. In order to get caves and ores at all I had to add them in with World Painter, which was just a mess. Rarity of ores could only be boosted by whole numbers, resulting in too many or too few veins, and the caves were not vanilla in any sense. Narrow ravine like tunnels and giant domes were my cave options.

So this time I got a vanilla, large biomes seed that consisted mainly of extreme hills in the area we'd be using. I wanted this since 1. extreme hills are somewhat difficult to travel, and I think my plains made travel too easy last time, and 2. I like the cliffs of vanilla mountains, and I have trouble recreating them in World Painter. So why make something when you can take a feature and just alter it? Once I'm finished with the map, I'll merge it with the plumped vanilla map that I initially put into World Painter. This will only change the surface of the map, leaving the caves and ores intact.

Also, I switched the places of the swamp and the savanna since the area where the savanna plateaus were meant to be were already mostly flat. It suited the swamp better.

Should I go ahead and announce in MCP for anyone wanting to help build? Does anyone have any qualms with doing it the weekend of the 7th or would anyone prefer the next weekend? If its the 7th, we should plan to announce it this weekend.

The other day I was poking around on another server's web page and came across their donation page. I saw that they accept both Bitcoin and Dogecoin. I was wondering if this is something that's possible for us to do, and if it's even something we would want to do?

If we had a reliable place to convert it all to cash, then I don't see why not. I know LadyCailin has done some bitcoin stuff, and I think slide has as well. They know more about what is out there to use to redeem for dollars (which someone could redeem, then donate the cash back).

LadyCailin would be the one to talk to about that. There are plenty of markets, which all have constantly fluctuating values like any commodity exchange. Not sure which are the more reliable, though. I probably would have said MtGox before, based on them arguably being the largest and most popular, but they kind of...had all of the BitCoin they were entrusted with stolen.  :dry:

It seems like it might be worth offering at least. When you're asking for money, might as well make it as convenient and interesting to potential donors. Might get some donations from people who are just dying to spent Bit/Doge coin somewhere.

> MtGox

Oh hell no.

As far as other exchanges, as long as you *immediately* convert the bitcoins into fiat, AND can transfer the USD into a FDIC insured account within a reasonable time, I see no problem with that. Without doing those two things, you're opening yourself up to market losses, and foreign, unregulated institutional failures, which is obviously very bad. 

Having said that, those two conditions are the only things to worry about, if you can satisfy those conditions, I would absolutely condone that. I've never looked into the merchant/receiver side of coinbase, but they are a trusted and well known company. https://coinbase.com/clients I would look into that first, and if for whatever reason that doesn't work out, I can research other means.

• 11 months later...