I am barneygale, ask me things

barneygale

> Why did you step down from being an admin?

A fellow tech admin told me repeatedly that load spikes of up to 800% were fine

> What's your side of the story re: you getting banned for a really long time?

I'm happy to accept I deserved to be banned for a long time. I changed my ban reason, banned ludeman's alt, checked the server logs, gave the mcbouncer key to a couple of unsavory characters, used an old ssh account, and probably others I've forgotten. That said I also made an effort to turn my life around and felt pretty frustrated that the admin circle of the day had convinced themselves I was a serious threat, or pretended I was while secretly keeping me banned for personal reasons.

The whole thing was stupid internet drama over a video game. I have a much more relaxed and constructive relationship with the head admins now, and I think I'm on reasonable terms with most other people on staff.

Happy to answer more specific questions about it!

• Upvote 3

> Why is /r/barneygale private?

Because I don't particularly like my rants showing up on google from a professional perspective. /r/barneygale was an outlet for me while I was banned, but it's not really necessary anymore, firstly because MCPublic is much better managed under the current crop of admins than it was ~1 year ago, and also that any issues I have I can bring up privately with the head admins and expect honest responses, rather than obfuscation and aggression.

That said I'm happy to give access to people who need it.

• Upvote 2

> When is mark4 going to come out? Is it going to be in time for 1.8? If it doesn't come out do you recommend a different solution?

No. mark4 is progressing at a snail's pace because I have limited free time nowadays. If I don't stop work entirely, I it will be summer at the earliest.

gsand may update it for 1.8, but it hasn't yet been properly updated for 1.7. I recommend people switch to another wrapper rather than waiting for mark4. Check out MCMyAdmin, SpaceBukkit, Minecraft Server Manager as alternatives.

> How did you come up with your username?

It's a close variation of my IRL name. I used aliases before this, and I expect I'm going to go back to using aliases in the not-so-distant future.

1: Are you my father?

2: Scale of 1-10, how good do these glasses look on this dog? http://s1.favim.com/orig/24/animals-cute-dog-dogs-glasses-Favim.com-217746.jpg

3: Are you a fan of giant robots?

4: Is it wrong that the first time I saw your name, I imagined Barney the Dinosaur in a cyclone?

• Upvote 2

What is your favorite type of automobile?

What was your first time on nerd.nu like?

What programming languages do you know?

Are load spikes of up to 800% fine by any stretch of the imagination?

If you had a cat for every time someone has said winter is too cold or summer is too hot, would you be an old maid/cat lady yet?

What is your least favourite suburb of Mobile, Alabama?

What was your first time like?

What languages have you programmed into your head?

What is 576 of 72 in percentages? What is the best Kirby copy ability where you where a hat and sit still defending yourself?

If you had a dog for every time someone has said fall is too brown, and spring is too green (#420BlazeIt), how many Chinese villages would you be able to feed?

> What are your next coding or Minecraft-related projects?

I'm working on the new version of mark2 (mark4/terrapin). I'm also resuming work on a protocol library that will allow people to write their own servers/clients/bots/proxies.

> What is your favorite type of automobile?

Not really that interested in cars!

> What was your first time on nerd.nu like?

Brilliant! The CTA had moved to survival while minecarts were buggered on C, so I joined their clan and had some amazing times on survival raiding and getting raided.

> What programming languages do you know?

Python/Java/PHP (good), JS/C++/Lua/BASH (reasonable). Going to learn C++ properly soon!

> What languages have you programmed into your head?

English

> What is 576 of 72 in percentages?

~12.5%?

> What is the best Kirby copy ability where you where a hat and sit still defending yourself?

I haven't played Kirby since Kirby's Dreamland on the gameboy

> If you had a dog for every time someone has said fall is too brown, and spring is too green (#420BlazeIt), how many Chinese villages would you be able to feed?

Spring is pretty much a non-season for me. I find myself thinking "man winter is dragging on so long" right until summer arrives. And autumn is too brown? Never heard anyone say that!

Alright here's a few for you:

• What's your favorite programming language and why?
  • Coming from a more technical background, what are your thoughts on the changes coming with 1.8?
  • If you could change one thing about the servers as they are now, what would it be?
  • What's your favorite food?