Survival Server General Meeting. Please read for important information regarding the meeting including the time and agenda.

Mrloud15

Hello everyone,

It has been about two weeks since we asked for your suggestions, and since then we received over 30 of them! We have gone through all of the suggestions and put together an agenda for the meeting, which you can find below. There will probably be a few changes made to the agenda before the actual meetings, but any changes would be minor.

As for the meetings, they will be open meetings in mumble where anyone may speak. However, the meeting should only be to discuss what is on the agenda, and new suggestions should try not to be brought up. If there are enough new suggestions, we can always have another meeting, but I would like to avoid the long unorganized meetings we have had in the past.  The point of this meeting is to allow everyone to voice their opinions and discuss the possible changes, so no decisions about changes will be made during the meetings. The meetings will take place on Saturday the 17th at 3:00 am EDT and 6:00 pm EDT. Both meetings will use the same agenda below, and they will be recorded and posted for those who can’t attend.

Start Meeting

• Intro

• What would you enjoy S being?

• Should S be more difficult or less?

• More PvP-oriented? Less?

• Radically different gameplay? Or mostly vanilla? (see: Major Changes)

• PvP - oriented

• Survival - oriented

• Factions

• Civcraft

• Ultra hardcore

• Mixture

• Something entirely different

• Minor Changes

• Ore plumping

• All ores or only specific ones

• Different plumped ores for different biomes

• Enchanting

• Enchantism

• Vanilla

• Remove some enchants

• Beds

• Reduce damage for specific weapons

• Reducing effects for specific potions

• Simpleclans or similar features

• Top of nether access

• Protect mobs

• Protect redstone repeaters and comparators

• Major Changes

• Unique maps w/ some PvE areas, altered ore gen, buffs, etc.

• Encouraging Large Cities

• PvE areas (with combattag-like cooldown) under some circumstances

• Spawn plots - divided/assigned, or stricter rules near spawn

• Warps/teleporting

• Economy plugin

• Block reinforcement plugin

• Auto rollback plugin

• Community involvement, communication

• Greater community involvement in server planning

• Better ways to connect the community to each other

• Player conduct

• Policy and rules

• NCP tweaks

• Set end dates for revs

• Advertisement

• Ban lengths

• Final thoughts

End Meeting

Here is all of the suggestions we received. There is a lot there, but I would suggest that you read through all of the them before the meeting to get a better idea of what is being discussed.

What changes would you like to see be implemented on survival?

May I start by saying I love vanilla. It's why I chose these servers and this community and why I continue to support it! With that said, I want to talk about any type of in game purchase plugin. PVP can be amazing and fun and rewarding, and by setting up a system that gives players rewards and bonus for pvping is amazingly helpful. It also makes gameplay competitive yet fun. Something like a player gets a kill and gets 5 points to spend towards 40 point iron armour or something to that affect could be just the thing S needs to spice up and freshen PVP.

---

- 4 cardinal roads, basic 5 block width. Each with a different colored road
- re-enterable pve spawn, spawn used to be a central part of the server, we have worked too hard to spread players out, thus removing this central area
- reworking of the hunger system to make it less a part of the pvp experience, even to the extend of eating increases health, with permanent half fed status

----

I have brought this up before, but I beelieve there needs to be a rule regarding land claims within 100 blocks or so of spawn. The issue being that players will claim land close by, and never develop it. If a plot is simply not being used, it should be given to someone willing to build on it.

I would like to see the pearl cool down back in effect, not only does it help with PvP, it also stops users from spamming pearls to glitch up walls or avoid traps.

Some changes to enchanting/ potions would be nice. Unfortunately, I only have experience playing on nerd, so I cant name a server that has done this. However, others have mentioned that some servers adjust the armor/ weapon enchants to give a more balanced, less costly, PvP experience.

---

An idea I've had for a while is the removal or nerfing of diamond armor. The biggest problem I've seen on S, and one that tends to cause people to leave the server is the difficulty to find diamonds. With fortune III, you normally need at least 8 diamond ore blocks to find 26 diamonds. That means, a majority of the time you have to find 2 ore veins of the hardest mining material to find in the game to get one set of armor+sword to really be able to pvp. During the duration of the server, new players or players who choose to not join large clans are turned away when they lose a diamond fight. This is because the player would have to spend time trying to go through the whole process to retrieve all the materials necessary for another suit. With servers that just give out diamonds and armor, our server seems less accessible, and at times makes players focus on parts of the game that most players dont enjoy. Who enjoys mining for two hours just to not see a single diamond?

However if diamond armor was removed or nerfed down to iron armor, there would still be a need for diamonds (picks for obsidian, swords etc.) and it would make pvp more accessible and easier for everyone. It is already very easy to find iron, and with enchantism, armor becomes less of struggle to find. Which means more pvp on a server that has lacked a strong pvp community since rev 18 (the rev without enchants, aka: the server where iron armor was used more then diamond due to very little differences in armor).

I really hope someone addresses this point at the meeting as I wont be able to attend.

---

I feel like S needs to go either super-hardcore or super-new guy friendly. As of now it's in between and almost purely vanilla, which sorta mildly irritates/bores everybody it seems. If the S community wants to go super hardcore, perhaps getting rid of any protections outside of spawn and installing something like the Citadel plugin from Civcraft might appeal to some. Not to mention the Citadel plugin encourages people to pool up their resources as protection stuff can get really expensive, Might also reduce bans for grief by new players who get frustrated due to their ban and quit. Another option is to go the complete opposite way, say, removing pots and most enchantments from the game. That way, zerging and numbers is more powerful, which encourages cooperation.

---

I think mcpublic can no longer support a separate PVP server and will have to merge aspects of PVE with survival as was done in the past. This presents a major problem as to whether any one map can successfully incorporate the two playstyles, but I can explain how we could do it, while at the same time drawing on an untapped source of creativity in the community.

I imagine the map (a typical 5000x5000) split into 5 main landmasses (they’ll also be smaller ones dotted around) separated by ocean. The central mass is the largest and home to PVP. The 4 smaller Islands are arranged at a distance around the main body and are about the size of one the cities on P (with a little wilderness spare); apart from the PVP being disabled and some items being unavailable there, you’ll find that the conditions are vanilla. Back to the “S” island though and things are different: ore and xp are significantly plumped, lots and lots of rare items and loot are scattered around that you won’t find anywhere else, the map’s only end portals are hidden there, as are special nether portals and there’s an abundance of player created content like temple ruins and suchlike for people to stab each other over. Engaging the community in generating this kind of content and working on varying the landscapes of the map are THE most important thing you can do when setting up the next rev! GETTING OUR CREATIVE TYPES PARTICIPATING MORE IS KEY TO THE SURVIVAL OF THE COMMUNITY AND THE STRESS LEVELS OF STAFF...ahem.

Basically, I’m trying to tie the dynamics of PVP and PVE into each other, the PVE part offers the structure and co-operation of city building as well as a source of demand for the rarer materials, while the PVPers can satisfy not only their bloodlust but the competing demands of the four city economies. In fact this'll blur the distinction between S'ers and P'ers breathing a new sense of purpose and comradeship into a stagnant s.nerd.nu.

The nearest thing to it that we’ve tried (since PVP and PVE were split) are the capture the flag events, except this would be set-up with more consideration for a longer term building and with consideration for lone wolf type players as well. I’m looking for that same sense of excitement people used to get around event time.

I know I’ve glossed over a lot of the details so here’s a diagram (promise not to laugh): http://i.imgur.com/vWFRkbY.jpg .I bet you laughed at it and I understand that this is an odd pitch. The thing is that our problems have gotten to the point where we need big, ambitious, proactive solutions. This is one that I’d like to discus in person at the meeting (Sorry if none of this makes sense I only had like 5 minutes spare to throw it and the drawing together, but thanks for reading and giving me the opportunity to write this).

Maybe a sort of system in which clans have to have a flag/totem, so that the objective of raids is less of a kill everyone thing and more of a massive ctf sort of thing. Captures would only work if the clan is on however.

----

We need more active admin involvement and more arenas. Perhaps adding staff would help, we have active players willing to fill the roles. I play vanilla minecraft in single player - with the time gap to update things (and I'm blaming bukkit not just us) - I think the push toward staying vanilla is wrong. Give me a unique reason to play on this server so I can be drawn in and kept here by the community.

PvE is highly successful because of its ability to make people feel part of some success like a city. We need to find some way to allow survival to have common goals among players that can't be satisfied alone. Something that makes clans of some size emerge every revision. Incorporate clan battles into arenas? Have some sort of competition directly related to proving which clan is number one? Be it fighting or gathering of resources or server-wide polls of who has the best structures for different purposes (aesthetics, defense, offense, storage, red-stone contraptions, best farms).

Do anything and everything possible to squelch the constant comments on the forums and reddit about what needs to be changed to make the server come to life - this always focuses on a negative and drives away potential players. I don't want to see this shit - it makes me want to leave - why would it draw me in? I want to be part of success. Bring me this.

I really enjoyed the revision where bows & tools were the only enchants. This made survival unique enough to play here. It also made fall traps 1000% more effective as no feather-falling.

---

Redstone contraptions were what mainly held my interest this revision and I noticed a minor issue. It worried me that someone could maliciously change repeater and comparator settings even though apparently this would be traceable grief. Maliciously changing these settings has the potential to break machines in weird ways that can be hard to clean up.

In case it's under consideration to allow the malicious modification of others' repeater and comparator settings, I urge you to discuss the issue with someone with a good grasp of redstone. To me through my experience, allowing it would not enrich gameplay. I confidently claim that practical redstone machinery is extremely brittle to this stuff; breaking machines this way is not clever. I'd argue randomly changing settings to break the machine would almost always be more efficient than bothering to try to understand the circuit first. Countermeasures that the creator of the redstone contraption might employ (such as replacing repeaters with torch delay) are not very interesting, and contribute to server lag.

Also please please please fix having to eat constantly.

---

* Better hit detection, it is blatant that hit detection is improper in survival, (might be KitchenSink or NCP. I remember a mod that has stated that a few revisions ago). Literally impossible to chase someone with pearls because of this.
* Lag, pvp is not enjoyed my majority when lag comes in. This includes chesting items in chests, refilling potions quickily (most people who don't do hardcore pvp don't know this, but it's clicking potions as fast as possible in your inventory if you are out in your hotbar). Other lag includes movement rubberbanding, and NCP glitches.
* Starting from next rev, prot 2 maximum, sharp 3 for swords maximum, and power IV maximum. Do not allow strength or regen. This format balances pvp much more than the current prot 4 sharp 5, and arena matches are much more fun without "whoever's helm breaks first wins". Even 1.5 strength is unequalized with this so do not include it if this is considered. Consider removing fire aspect if possible, not really necessary though.
* Mods that know what hacking is. I'm not saying people don't know what minecraft hacked clients are, but there are few that know in pvp if they are hacking or not. Most mods in this server (not pointing out anyone) from my experience don't handle forcefield or autoclick correctly. Especially ghost clients are extremely shady and look like the person is moving completely fine, but they are using a out-game client. Again, our staff is great, but this might enhance it quite a lot.

---

I've only got one suggestion for the meantime: plumped ores in Amplified biomes; at the edges of the map.
This would encourage players to make the most use of a map, and ensure that players don't simply ignore a large amount of the map.
It would encourage player-time, mining, exploration, and PvP due to players having access to a more fruitful source of Diamond, Iron, etc.
I'll allow you to think of the possibilities.
link to an older document of ideas that a group of players had brainstormed. A lot of these ideas have happened already but there is some that are still relevant https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dgh8IfKhyLnXOYvMD49I9-lC_MXxsG-L94m_EsFYvb4/edit

NCP and Lag fixes,
example of common occurrence on S: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icJwM72SHqI

Rebalanced Enchanting, not as easy to get prot 4 sets

---

Protection of animals. I know, I know, it's survival, deal with it. But really, why is it grief to not replant a farm, but not so to kill one's animals. IIRC mods can now track animals, I believe they do on PvE.

Also, communities. Something that will help new comers and just spice up the server style in general. Not factions, really, but more like regions or something? IDK, just a thought. And It'd be nice to have some community projects. I know a few of us can work together on this with out it becoming a total fuck fest.
Enabling player-placed Nether portals.
I've seen videos of people on servers making giant nether portals to make gold farms. Also, it may stop new players being turned off by the fact that nether portals are restricted to the ones pre-placed.

---

-Allow limited teleporting (eg. /spawn, /home only). Make each tp last for 10/15 seconds to keep people from using it to run from pvp. Have a minute cool-down between each tp.

-Somehow prevent terrain-raping/crappy ruins? I know the main emphasis of a survival server is to survive, but, seriously, the server's map is pretty ugly. I realize I should go to PvE if I want prettiness, and I know you can't force people to put efforts into their builds, but yikes, some of the stuff out there is just disheartening.

-Allow players to make a /mod-req to light a portal. Though there are plenty of portals around spawn, for the people on the outskirts it is a huge effort to get to the nether. A player would ask a mod to approve the placement of a portal, and if the mod approved of it then he/she could light to portal for the player. If the portal was too close to another, or was frivolous, the mod could deny it.

---

I think a ban on the Fortune enchantment would be nice. There's no risk in losing armor because everyone amasses tons of diamonds by the fifth day of the revision, and they never mine again. It would also promote trading. Resource scarcity in general would be nice.

On a different note, a ban on enchanting as a whole would make myself and a few other players start playing again. The whole system is inbalanced for more casual players who still enjoy pvp.

---

Increased Iron Ore as I feel it is used more so than others.

Flatter land as I believe people will prefer it.

---

Changes to the banning policy:

Nerd is known as the server that everyone is banned from.

Implement temp-bans.

If a brand-new player does a tiny bit of griefing or says something is "gay," because they don't know any better, then gets banned, they're not going to appeal their ban, they're just going to find somewhere else to play. If you don't require them to appeal for small rule violations, they're more likely to come back when they're unbanned.

Also, ban times are ridiculous. Dob is banned for a year for shooting someone once on P, and not killing them. The excuse given was his ban history, but that's just because he's an old player. His previous ban was almost a year previous. This isn't an isolated incident.

---

Be more transparent about what's happening with the server.

----

Bring back clans/clantags with simpleclans, they were a major draw to the server and almost everyone i have asked while online says they want it back.

It isn't really on the server, but advertisement for the server needs to be better or else it will continue to die.

Overworld generated glowstone.

Designated PvE areas... imagine the towns of the PvE server on the PvP server! That would be so cool!

---

Differentiate from the other nerd servers so that we're something different and attractive to both current players and potential new players. Minor changes don't help anymore. We've tried, you can get a small player boost for a couple of weeks in the best case scenario but it won't change anything in the long run. We need a big change, or nothing. My expectation is that you will reduce the length of the revision to make it seem as if we have more of an active player base, but it won't solve a thing. It'll go on for about a year until Survival gets taken down if this is the case. Please, prove me wrong.

We need new players. Old players are leaving with no one to replace them. We're currently advertising with 1 ad on reddit on /r/minecraft. This is no where near enough, so we need to do something different. Use the money from a donation drive to advertise on a minecraft server listing website. Do this for a few days and see if there's an obvious difference. If not, we can say we tried but if it works, fantastic!

Admin reqs take too long to get completed. Some can take more than 2-3 weeks. To fix this, either get more admins or allow mods to do more things. The problem with this is that non S playing staff may attempt to do more complex reqs leading to them being done inadequately. Getting more admins would be the obvious fix for this and there are people who would suit the role at the moment like TornadoHorse, Mrgauthier34.

---

Buff EVERYTHING. What I mean by that is, buff the ore, buff exp (might change in 1.8), buff like wood drop from chopping wood, let more than one stone drop, make everything easier to get. This will then set peoples goals on things bigger than just getting bye. Make it so it requires some work, but it's easy to get armor enchanted. Buff potion mat drop rates, sand drop rates, everything. Then, PvP will become much more friendly, as there is less to lose, most everyone would roam in armor if it's easy enough to make. People will make larger builds, the server will be unique in that way, but the rest will stay vanilla.

---

Having a type of friend system of seeing who is your ally and who is your enemy. this would improve the more like clans to make enmeys with other clans more like fractions but without the land claim and stuff it would just be cool to see your friend come up to you and there name is green saying Oh! its a Friendly or an Ally! then u see a enemy and there name is red and new people or players that are Normal have the normal White Color. Idk if this is more of the fraction idea but i think it would work.

---

I personally would like if the attitude/idea of how to treat other players was changed. I've heard numerous times that on s, it's completely ok to be a complete dick as that is what the server is about. It's an extremely hostile environment. There also is an attitude that the players of c and p shouldn't have any say in the dealings of s as they aren't true s players. How are others supposed to feel welcome if everyone with different ideas is shunned as an outsider?

---

Heavily plumped ores, nerfed ender pearls, more arenas, treasure hunts, other activities

---

Okay, I've got a few suggestions. I'll list them at the end as well, since I tend to ramble. First of all there needs to be more frequent arenas/events- and with that, arenas need to be done better. If there were a small (2 or 3) team of mods dedicated solely to events it would be awesome. Set up a schedule of weekly events that they would run on each server (Does C even have events?) and give away good prizes, like villager eggs or small untouchable regions that could hold their own villager so no one could kill it. Perhaps an interesting/desirable plot of land could be reserved for a winner. Also if you do the mod thing I would totes be interested in that.

Another way to improve arenas is to make it "cheaper" to participate. What if we could set up one-way automated armorers that players pass through so they're equipped with basic iron or diamond armor? (Like this thing, but better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so1JFJKU7Vo)

Sure, they wouldn't be enchanted but it would make more people want to participate because they wouldn't be sacrificing their own stuff- plus it keeps them relying more on basic PVP and pots. And whoever wins the battle gets to keep the armor they gathered! Also would it be possible to stack armor in item slots? I know this might make holding it in ender chests unfair, but something like that would be great for making space.

Aside from the arenas, ore plumping would be great. If I strike out in an area with diamond ore it might take me forever to get enough together for all the armor and tools I want to make. Maybe 2X or 2.5X plumping would be good for that. And with that- although I LOVE the enchantment table, the enchantments cost way too much for a single enchantment. Couldn't we lower each of them 5 levels or something? It's really tedious sometimes.

Perhaps non-PVP areas could be enabled? Would there be a way to make it so someone who has been in combat in the past 30 seconds couldn't get into that area? I don't know how it would work, but it would be cool to have non-PVP city regions (with small player specific, non-griefable plots) going. That way some of the care bears might be more interested in S and S players could have somewhere to relax.

The last thing I would really, really want is to be able to create group tags for chests and regions. People always get so testy about clan plugins, but why can't we take a clan plugin and ONLY use the good stuff on it? Can't we turn off rankings and money, but keep groups? I don't want to have to add X person to every shared chest my group has on the server. I want to be able to add or remove X person from the group and have that affect every chest on the server that is open to our group, even a random forgotten one in the forest somewhere. That would enable dynamic team strategy both with PVP and building. People like to act as if it's so easy to do /lwc stuff one chest at a time, but this would be 10x more convenient and efficient.

Designated "end of rev" times would be great as well. I have no clue when this rev will end, I'm already bored with it. Maybe we could have the server wiped at a certain point and replaced with an old server (that's been done, hasn't it?) for chaos or a shorter rev before launching the next long one. We need to get a little less attached to the rev, let it end so we can start a new one after a designated point.

So, to end here is a list of changes I would like to see. Please use this as my suggestion list if you are posting these somewhere:

1) More/better/cheaper arenas- Creative prizes, automated armor for cheap/quick/more fights, dedicated EVENT ONLY mod team to ensure consistency in how often events happen. I want a schedule of events, planned prior to launch, so we know what and when to expect things.

2) Cheaper PVP- Plumped ores, lowered EXP costs for enchantments, basically make it not so sacrificial to lose a fight... or a few of fights. I want to have fun on S.

3) Chests- Create a group tag for chests and make armor (unenchanted only maybe?) stackable in inventory slots so it doesn't take up so much room. The group thing is major- it would be amazing to add or remove access to chests across the region with a simple group access pass.

4) Non-PVP areas- These could be four city regions, one in each quadrant, that are designated non-PVP. They could have small (15x15?) plots for players that, like creative, are designated regions so no one can grief them. If a player has hit or been hit within the past 30 seconds, they can't enter the area (through running or pearling).

5) Designated end of rev, with shorter revs on old maps to follow until the launch of the next "big" rev. We may have already done this kind of idea before, it feels familiar.

6) Almost forgot this one! You know what would be great? Small plots sizes close to spawn. Like if between spawn and first portal plots could be no wider than X and no more than 2 plots can be linked (if people want to share). I have no clue how you would accomplish this, but it would be great to see. People make huge build claims right off the bat, and then people that come on the next day have to go way far out. It sucks. Help us.

---

Hold a fundraiser, buy a second box, start 1 or more experimental survival servers running custom gametypes built by nerd's wide development community, not just tech admins. If they're successful, integrate elements into the existing survival server, or abandon the current old-fashioned survival server in favour of one that's unique and exciting.

---

Update the servers in a timely manner. You're not going to attract any new players if they have to downgrade their client just to try out the server. The server's still on 1.7.2, and 1.7.5 bukkit came out March 22nd. Now it's May, and current minecraft version is 1.7.9.

---

Bring back survival arena league!

---

I'm switching to p.nerd.nu once i'm finished with my current project on s.nerd.nu, so please consider these as "ideas I think are cool" rather than "I definitely think you should change this". Overall though, and this is partly why i'm making the switch, I think you need to seriously widen the gap between s.nerd.nu and p.nerd.nu. At the moment this network has two survival servers, and one looks a hell of a lot more enticing than the other. I'd recommend rebranding s.nerd.nu as a pvp server, not a survival server with pvp enabled.

With that said, here are some things I think might be interesting to try/add (whether or not they fully support the aforementioned rebranding):

* Vanilla Enchanting System - It's going to be changing in 1.8 and it looks pretty promising for making things all around easier (but not too easy like enchantism seems to be for some). I think it would be great to start off the map with vanilla enchanting and then later add in enchantism if the voted opinion calls for it.

* Let users have flowing water - There was a thread on the forums about this that seemed to have a promising outcome, but nothing changed when the new revision came around. I have nothing further to add to the discussion on that forum thread (it was all great), but I would love to hear if this idea was scrapped for whatever reason.

* Drop Party - http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/dropparty/
- If you've experienced drop parties on other online games you might recognise the allure this sometimes has (although not everyone seems to like this if it gets spammy). Might be something fun to add even if it doesn't add much to the game overall.

* Chest & Land Protection - https://github.com/Exultant/Citadel/wiki/Plugin-Goals
- Blocks (including chests) can be reinforced to keep them protected. These reinforcements wear down after a certain time (depending on how the protection was made), allowing for access to would-be looters or pvpers. This would add a potential level of chaos to regular gameplay (chests are not as safe) as well as a level of protection from grief (for protected builds).

* Ore Plumping
- Plump ores across the board so that replacing diamond armour after a fight isn't a nightmare of a task. I would recommend plumping all ores (as opposed to just diamond) so that it's not considered 'too easy' to obtain in comparison with other ores.

* 'Rework' Villager Trades
- For the entirety of the rev so far, the RebalanceVillagers config seems to have been reverted to the default one, and it's actually been really pleasant having access to the trades that let you get emeralds really easily (e.g. coal, paper, etc). I think it would be a nice middle ground to maintain things mostly as they are now to ensure you can't easily exploit villagers for easy diamond armour, but gathering emeralds is still pretty feasible.

* Undead Horses - http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/undead-horses/
- Just one zombie flesh or bone seems really cheap, and i'm not sure if it's configurable, but this plugin seems quirky and fun without really intruding on regular gameplay.

* Nether Ceiling Access
- It would be cool if you could make sure to include an existing access to get to the top of the nether (and not just back down from it). It's fun to make use of that stretch of land, and it has legitimate uses including gold and ghast farms. Maybe make it so that the way up is difficult to traverse (so not just a straight staircase), but ultimately still possible to get up *and* down.

* Adjust the chat spam trigger
- I think this is part of NCP (?), but it would be awesome if the warning that suggests you're typing too fast could be toned down at all. It seems a little trigger happy as it is currently.

* Chat filtering - http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/pwnfilter/
- Helps to auto-moderate chat offences (can send a warning to players when they use certain words/phrases, doesn't need to censor or ban people for using them unless you prefer it to), and also apparently has the ability to prevent players from using banned words on (anvil) named items and name tags for mobs.

* Warp-to Public Arenas
- Instead of public arenas being open for people to straight up walk into (and interfere with), have arenas that you can warp to using commands. The command would take you to the arena stands (which would be pvp disabled), and from there you can use warp signs to enter one of a few preset positions within the arena floor. You can then use the same earlier command to jump back out once you're done fighting.

* Add timer/cooldown to issuing warp commands

- Following on from the above, it would be beneficial to add some kind of timer to issuing warp commands wherein players need to stand still for 6-10 seconds before they are warped to their destination. Helps to avoid exploiting these commands to avoid combat. (Sidenote: Not sure if you have this already, haven't been able to attend any of this rev's arenas. Ignore this one if so :P)

---

1. HCF pvp rules. I think having only health 2 splash/drinkable potions and speed 2 potions, as well as nerfing enchantments down to say protection 1, unbreaking 3, and sharpness 2, will bring a lot more people into pvp. This also greatly reduces the strength of diamond armor, making it more possible for someone without armor to take down another player in full diamond armor. The enchantment levels are debatable, I just threw those numbers out as a suggestion. Removing armor enchantments all together is a bit much, but the pvp fights between two players that are "good" at pvp, last too long. It in a way doesn't matter how good you are, if your helmet breaks before the other players, chances are you are going to lose. This means that if you go into a fight with slightly damaged armor and the other player has a brand new set they just enchanted, your chances of winning are already quite low.

2. Plumped ores/raising diamond level. Make it easier for players to get diamonds so they can participate in pvp rather than spending hours trying to find diamonds and finding hardly enough to make a chestplate.

3. Bring back simple clans. A lot of players really liked the simple clans plugin. I am still unsure as to why the plugin was actually removed, but I think bringing it back will help. Yes, players can still engage in clan-like activities without the plugin, but it is not the same. The plugin gives a greater sense of being together and having friends on the server, which is a very good thing, especially for new players to have. I noticed a lot of new players joining and remaining active because other players were allowing them to join their clan. It is much more comforting when you just join a pvp server knowing that you have a group of people on your side, raising the chances that a new player will keep playing on the server. I know a lot of players complained about all the colors in chat, so maybe even just removing the clan tag's from being visible in chat.

4. Faction-like capabilities. Just about all of the popular pvp servers are faction servers. I know many people, including myself, don't really want to see survival change into a faction server, But maybe implementing some of the capabilities you have on a faction server would be a good thing. Some of these are, but not limited to, in-game shop/balance system so players can buy and sell items in a shop at spawn, teleportation to spawn, home, other players, ect. Having the shop would give players who spend most of their time doing things like farming a chance to sell their double chests full of crops they will never use and to be able to buy diamonds or whatever else they want to be able to pvp. As for teleporting, it would need to be implemented alongside combat tag, so you cannot teleport while you are in combat, and have say a ten second wait time after you enter the command, breaking the command if you enter combat or move from your position. I know a lot of the older players will not like this idea, but I see many new players joining and asking if we have teleportation on the server, immediately leaving and never coming back when they find out that we don't.

There is much more I could add to these, but for the sake of space, I will end there. I also know they will be discussed more in the meeting so I will wait until then.

---

Get rid of Mrloud15 who is killing survival. Mumberthrax and redwall_hp were going to both be great admins but have instead are being changed into copies of himself. Mrloud15 does nothing good for survival and we would be better off without him.

---

-I would like to see factions or some sort of factions on survival.
- My idea is more like kingdoms, where one kingdom can take over part or all of another kingdom. This would require players to create towns and make some sort of community and expand their "clan" in order to be called and own a kingdom.
-Maybe somehow breaking into chests.
-Vanilla enchanting (1.8 mechanics)
- Players can create towns and once the town is approved (has to look decent) by a Sadmin the town can get a flag to participate in a CTF event every other week. The flag will be placed inside their town somewhere. This would encourage players to seek other players to help them expand/build their towns.

---

lack of resets and some mod to create a new somehow linked map when there's a new version (+ spawn moved to current version).

---

get rid of mrloud. he's made survival worse since being promoted and has offered nothing good.

---

I would like to see survival (not nerd.nu in whole) advertised on /r/mcservers as a normal server (not using self service). I think that this would lead to more players knowing of s.nerd.nu, and feeling the urge to join, whereas at the moment, s.nerd.nu has no ad strictly for itself. I feel as though having an advertisement would potentially better the experience for the active players.

Additionally, I feel as though survival needs more moderators. There are very few people online on a DAILY basis that are moderators right now. I feel as though more moderators would make the server run SMOOTHER, and would make the survival experience in whole better.

Furthermore, I feel as though advertising on /r/mcservers, and more survival staff would make survival better.

---

CivCraft is about the long game. It is about setting up a kind of gameplay where civilisation is a naturally emergent phenomenon. There is scarcity and much greater difficulty, which encourages specialisation, trade and travel. The current map is large - I think it's a 15K radius circle. And the map is a year or more old - I don't know the exact details. The game only requires a vanilla client, but the gameplay is heavily modified by open source plugins.

Some key gameplay features and differences from current S:

• Everything is Always at Risk There is no LWC. There are no ender chests. There are no protected regions. But builds and containers like chests can be reinforced using a plugin called Citadel. Reinforcement simply means that a reinforcement item (stone, iron or diamond) is added to each block that you want to protect. If you reinforce something with stone, for example, then the time it takes to break that thing is multiplied by 25. (You actually have to break that block 25 times before it drops.) The reinforcement factors for iron and diamond are 250x and 1800x respectively. If you have valuables you want to protect, you either log out with them on your person, or you put them in a well hidden, diamond-reinforced-obsidian vault containing diamond-reinforced chests. To give you a chance to protect your stuff, there are "snitches" - diamond reinforced jukeboxes that send you messages when an unauthorised player is nearby. They also keep a short log of entry/exit and block editing actions by unauthorised players.

• The Players Make the Laws If someone griefs or steals, you "pearl" them (kill them (sword, bow etc) when there is an ender pearl in your hotbar) or pay someone else to do it for you. They will be imprisoned by the PrisonPearl plugin. They then have to negotiate for their release. In this scheme, moderators have relatively little to do: they check on PvP hacking and xray - and the latter is mostly prevented by OreObfuscator.

• The Technology Tree is Much Bigger This increases the longevity of the revision (did I mention they'd been going on the same map for a year or more?) by giving players many more goals inherent in the game. This is mainly due to FactoryMod. Combine a furnace, workbench and chest in a row, add in some starting materials and you make a specific type of factory. They're costly to make and they are all single-function so you gotta catch em all. There's a different factory to make each different kind of armour and weapon - at below the cost it would take to craft it yourself. For example, if you invest in a Diamond Pickaxe Smithy then you can make 15 diamond pickaxes for 15 diamonds. There are also factories to make XP from an odd mixture of about 10 different crops, and factories to smelt different types of ores to give more drops than a Fortune pickaxe would.

• PvE Aspects of the Game Are a Lot Harder XP is unobtainable from mobs or mining. It must be made in factories, which typically require vast wheat farms to fuel them. Mining is a lot harder because ore is really rare compared to vanilla. If you want diamonds you have to find a vein which will be a large cloud of disconnected single diamonds over multiple Y levels and running perhaps 50 - 100 blocks diagonally in some unknown direction. If you want iron, your best bet is to travel a frozen extreme hills biome - there are frequent iron veins under them. You can't just mine where you are for a good return. You have to go on an adventure. Crops also take a lot longer to grow and will not grow in some biomes at all. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am9fy_YC7BZtdDNaUm9LUkc1TkxoYkN5aHF3YWV5N1E#gid=0 Crop growth can be sped up in some circumstances by placing multiple layers of clay underneath the soil. The biomes on the map are very large, so the inconvenience factor is significant.

• The Difficulty Encourages Trade, Crime and Enforcement Players who are more comfortable with PvE gameplay set up shops based around factories and contingent on the scarity of factories and raw materials. You can't get everything you need to feed a factory locally, you can't easily find tons of diamonds or even iron and you can't get any XP for enchanting in the normal ways. So you have to trade, or you steal from someone else. The players that enjoy PvE gameplay have a reason to be there - unlike the current S gameplay, where PvE players are quickly driven away. The players that want PvP will become raiders or bounty hunters - two sides of the same coin. There's even a website to advertise bounties: http://www.civbounty.com/

• It's All in One World When you first spawn, or if you die, you spawn in some random location in a huge world. There is no nether dimension, but there is a large nether biome with randomly placed blaze spawners underground. Quartz also occurs in the other overworld biomes in limited amounts. Strictly speaking, there is a small end dimension, where people are sent when pearled (imprisoned), but the only thing you can do there is collect ender pearls.

• Chat is Ranged You can private message people at any range, but global chat is segmented by distance.

I think I have covered the main points.

In summary, there is a lot of depth to this other game, which emerges from scarity and difficulty. It runs completely counter to the way things have evolved on S where layers of difficulty have been progressively stripped away to get people fighting in full prot 4 on day 2. Defensive options and activities for non-PvPers are expanded, which leads to retention of those players, which is what the S PvPers keep asking for. They want PvE players to play, but then provide an environment which is far too hostile for them to enjoy.

• Upvote 7

This looks pretty good to me, however having a meeting planned at 3am seems pretty ridiculous. Which time zone is that aiming to include? It'd seem more logical to have a evening meeting on the friday and then a midday one on the saturday since generally that's when Americans aren't working/at school.

• Upvote 4

This looks pretty good to me, however having a meeting planned at 3am seems pretty ridiculous to me. Which time zone is that aiming to include? It'd seem more logical to have a evening meeting on the friday and then a midday one on the saturday since generally that's when Americans aren't working/at school.

I agree. Friday would be a better day for a meeting.

• Upvote 1

This looks pretty good to me, however having a meeting planned at 3am seems pretty ridiculous to me. Which time zone is that aiming to include? It'd seem more logical to have a evening meeting on the friday and then a midday one on the saturday since generally that's when Americans aren't working/at school.

The first meeting is a good time for night-owl americans, early-bird europeans, and average australians/new-zealaders; the second meeting is a good time for average americans, average europeans, and early-bird australians/new-zealanders.

• Upvote 5

Really?  Take a look at this:  http://forty-two.nu/mcpublicstatus/s.nerd.nu.graphs.html

Does that look like you have your shit together?

The point of the meeting is to discus the suggestions you guys have given us to make S a better place, so I'm not sure the point of you saying "If the admins had their shit together, I imagine there'd be a lot less bitching" for any other reason than to try to start something. Your posts in this thread, the one before this, and mail make it seem like you don't want this meeting to work, and that's not helpful to anyone.

• Upvote 6

... I'm not sure the point of you saying "If the admins had their shit together, I imagine there'd be a lot less bitching" for any other reason than to try to start something...

My post was a response to twilexis, who said:

Really? You guys need to get your shit together and stop bitching about everything.

I was simply stating that it's not up to the players to "get their shit together," but rather, it's up to the admins.

... Your posts in this thread, the one before this, and mail make it seem like you don't want this meeting to work, and that's not helpful to anyone.

I don't know how you got the impression that I don't want the meeting to work.  I want the meeting to work, and for S to draw in a large playerbase, and for it to be a fun server to play again.  However, there have been a lot of meetings on the same subject in the past, and nothing came of them.  So, yes, I do not honestly think it will work, but I hope it does.

• Upvote 4

Really? You guys need to get your shit together and stop bitching about everything.

There really is no reason for this comment at all. MrLoud has organized this meeting so we can DISCUSS changes and such towards Survival. I do not know what motivated you to reply to this topic and insult every active user that cares about Survival. This is the type of inter-community behavior that is hurting every nerd.nu server.

Now, back on topic.

The list looks well represented in all issues brought up. With so many issues present and (hopefully) lots of opinions from users being brought up, will the meeting have time restrictions for each topic or segment?

• Upvote 6

There really is no reason for this comment at all. MrLoud has organized this meeting so we can DISCUSS changes and such towards Survival. I do not know what motivated you to reply to this topic and insult every active user that cares about Survival. This is the type of inter-community behavior that is hurting every nerd.nu server.

Every time I'm in mumble or talk to any S player all I hear are complaints about the sadmins and how they're screwing up the server, whereas the sadmins are doing what they can to create the community the players want. It just seems like that effort is never good enough for a select group of players, who seem to be able to find negativity in everything.

I've been bringing friends of mine over from P now that things are winding down to play on S to try and boost the community, but honestly I don't know why I'm trying when all I'm bringing them to is a bitter and jaded server. The community was screwed up way before I posted a comment on the forums, so don't try to pin it on me.

I'm usually the one who's trying to calm everyone down, but the petty complaining about everything is wearing a bit thin. How about instead of complaining about times which work for ALL involved and not just America, everyone just calms their farms and concentrate on getting their voices heard? The behaviour I've personally witnessed is counter-productive.;

• Upvote 5

Every time I'm in mumble or talk to any S player all I hear are complaints about the sadmins and how they're screwing up the server, whereas the sadmins are doing what they can to create the community the players want. It just seems like that effort is never good enough for a select group of players, who seem to be able to find negativity in everything.

I've been bringing friends of mine over from P now that things are winding down to play on S to try and boost the community, but honestly I don't know why I'm trying when all I'm bringing them to is a bitter and jaded server. The community was screwed up way before I posted a comment on the forums, so don't try to pin it on me.

I'm usually the one who's trying to calm everyone down, but the petty complaining about everything is wearing a bit thin. How about instead of complaining about times which work for ALL involved and not just America, everyone just calms their farms and concentrate on getting their voices heard? The behaviour I've personally witnessed is counter-productive.;

That's just a result of S players caring about the server they play on.  We've played here for many years, made good friends here, so we get justifiably upset when we see the server being run into the ground.

• Upvote 5

That's just a result of S players caring about the server they play on.  We've played here for many years, made good friends here, so we get justifiably upset when we see the server being run into the ground.

I agree, it's good to care and be motivated, but that's no excuse to be a jackass and disrespect the people providing the opportunity at every given second.

• Upvote 2

First off, there was no place for your original post in this thread. It is completely off-topic and hindering what is trying to be done here.

I was not trying to pin every community issue on you, however, just because the community is "screwed up" does not mean you have to contribute negatively to it. I have played on S since I started playing on nerd. There are plenty of us that care about S and would like to see it flourish. Posts directed negatively towards S and its community, like yours, are based off a generalization that has been spread. Are there players that are not nice? Yes. Can they be annoying and disruptive? Yes. Should you use those players, who are in the minority, to generalize about the whole servers community? No. You may not have started this, but you certainly are not doing anything to lessen the rift between each server community.  

I am not sure why you are claiming that we are trying to ostracize players who are not in the United States. The whole point of different meeting times is to try and include as many users as possible. In fact, to my knowledge, the user that brought up the time concern is not even from the USA.

In no way am I trying to discourage you from taking part in this meeting. It is an open meeting for everyone, and hearing opinions from everyone can help find solutions to these issues. I am only asking that if you chose to be involved in this discussion, you do it in a matter that is productive and not insulting to those trying to work out these issues.

In order to keep this thread on its intended topic, I would like to ask you to pm me any further responses. I am happy to continue this discussion with you if need be, and I do hope you are not taking my comments as a personal attack.

Edited by djt832
  • Upvote 6

I'm slightly confused. What behavior is counter productive? Behavior of players, admins, and/or the server in general?

• Upvote 1

Maybe restructuring the meeting in such a way that, A. Every suggestion that someone took the time to submit is talked about  ,and B. right before the end there is some time to discuss new ideas that may not have been submitted before or have just occurred to someone, would be a good idea.

• Upvote 6

I have a request.

If there are topics in the meeting where everyone or nearly everyone agrees, the admins should state what their plan is for the idea. Implement immediately? Discussion with heads within 1 week? Technical evaluation lasting 1 month? etc.

I don't want this to be another meeting where we decide everything but plan nothing.

• Upvote 8

Stop acting like everything that's wrong with S is because of the current sadmins, we both know that is not true. There has been many things over the years that has lead S to where it is now, and to place the blame for it on any one admin or group of admins is very naive.

I was simply stating that it's not up to the players to "get their shit together," but rather, it's up to the admins.

It's up to both the players and admins to make S work, not just one group

However, there have been a lot of meetings on the same subject in the past, and nothing came of them.  So, yes, I do not honestly think it will work, but I hope it does.

None of those meetings have been run by me, and I guarantee that S will not be the same in the weeks/months (depends on what we do) after the meetings because we can't afford to be the same server that we were before the meetings.

As for what twilexis said, she could have said that in a better way, but she is not wrong. You, and a few others, consistently complain about everything we do, even when I proposed a way to find solutions to these problems. You do nothing to try to fix these problems, but you always seem to be one of the loudest ones complaining.   

• Upvote 5

I'm glad that people feel passionately about S, but fighting and emotional posts are counterproductive.  The only way things are going to get better is if people have a reasonable discussion at these meetings and come to some kind of consensus about how the server can change for most people's benefit.  You (including staff) probably aren't going to get everything you want... the goal here is for more people to play on and enjoy the survival server.

• Upvote 4

Maybe restructuring the meeting in such a way that, A. Every suggestion that someone took the time to submit is talked about  ,and B. right before the end there is some time to discuss new ideas that may not have been submitted before or have just occurred to someone, would be a good idea.

I'm not sure if we will have the time to talk about every suggestion. I would really like to keep the meetings around 2 hours longs because I think people would have a hard time staying focused for much longer. We could have a part of the meeting where anyone who wants to speak can have the floor for a few mins to talk about anything. Again, I'm not sure if this would make the meeting to long, so we could either have it this meeting if everyone is up for it or have another meeting not long after these ones to discus any new ideas.

I guarantee that S will not be the same in the weeks/months (depends on what we do) after the meetings because we can't afford to be the same server that we were before the meetings.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that, I hope it happens.

You, and a few others, consistently complain about everything we do, even when I proposed a way to find solutions to these problems. You do nothing to try to fix these problems, but you always seem to be one of the loudest ones complaining.   

If you would like to speak to me about this in PM, please do, because I honestly don't know what problems you're talking about.

The only thing I've spoken to you about is a desire to see major changes happen to S, because what's happening now isn't working.  I hope this meeting is a step in that direction.

Edited by roastnewt
  • Upvote 3