An early start to end of rev chaos on S

Ridiculous

I think while we're waiting on the outcome of the server meeting it would be best not to let S idle in its current state. We should switch over to chaos at the earliest possible opportunity.

I'm aware that the enjoyment of chaos on our current map would run out before anything like a version of civcraft (or other substantial changes :P) could be implemented. But we could also rotate in old revs to play on which have the potential for months of use.

This would provide a short term boost in player numbers, help sustain the interest in survival and give many players the chance to revel in their nostalgia and give the old S a fitting send off.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. The meeting (from what I understand) was a brainstorming process, and no final decision has been made yet. I feel as though pushing for a chaos reversion so early would either create unnecessary drama, or would rush the technical admins into creating a poorly coded plugin due to the lack of time.

Let's stay on the current reversion until a final decision has been made, with a week to a month leeway following this decision before the technical admins understand to what extent/have an oppertunity to code what they'd need to code.

• Upvote 2

I certainly wouldn't want to rush the techs and don't think we'd need to, there are 24 revs to work through after all.

We've had enough brainstorming sessions and most expect the final decision to follow them soon. With that in mind, the earlier we show some kind of transition the less drama they'll be around the percieved lack of action by Sadmins.

Edited by Ridiculous
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Ridiculous. Even if a decision isn't made, we shouldn't be content with letting S just sit there with less then 5 people a day while we wait for something to happen. What would be the harm in moving to chaos, or going through chaos on past revs? Would the majority of players truly be upset that the rev is over? Because imo it's been over for a few weeks anyways.

• Upvote 2

Chaos will become stale too, and you'll ask for the next rev to come sooner. If that isn't substantially different from this rev it'll become stale too, and have low player numbers. Maybe it would be better to enjoy this part of the rev, and see if people stick around because you're enjoying it?

• Upvote 1

Chaos will become stale too, and you'll ask for the next rev to come sooner. If that isn't substantially different from this rev it'll become stale too, and have low player numbers. Maybe it would be better to enjoy this part of the rev, and see if people stick around because you're enjoying it?

The reason chaos is being brought up is because the rev has gone stale. Hop onto S sometime and check it out for yourself. Rarely are there over 5 people on at any given time. Rotating through old chaos maps will keep things fresh. It is always exciting to revisit past builds. 

• Upvote 3

Chaos alone would become stale, but it's not just about chaos. It's about exploring past creations, finding good loot, and enjoying the game in a different way then just normal S. It's hard to enjoy this part of the rev when there is rarely anyone on. 

• Upvote 1

As DJT832 said, the current Survival revision is about as stale as it's going to get. Chaos barely ever gets stale, I can only think of two times that's happened and they were both due to prolonged revs. Chaos is great fun, all of us house a griefer in our hearts. There aren't many ways to spruce up the current revision of Survival,  so we may as well look into ending it - we've generally reached our target for how long we'd like each revision to be, which is about 2.5 months. 

Also, is it possible to get an admin's word on Ridiculous' idea?

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. The meeting (from what I understand) was a brainstorming process, and no final decision has been made yet. I feel as though pushing for a chaos reversion so early would either create unnecessary drama, or would rush the technical admins into creating a poorly coded plugin due to the lack of time.

Let's stay on the current reversion until a final decision has been made, with a week to a month leeway following this decision before the technical admins understand to what extent/have an oppertunity to code what they'd need to code.

this^

• Upvote 1

Claiming the rev has been dead for a few weeks shows you are out of touch. In the last couple weeks there have been several builds at spawn going on as well as several scattered around the map.
Pushing for chaos now before a decision is even reached(let alone plugins coded, maps created, etc) is begging for a stale chaos period, which has happened before--such as when we pushed for an end of a rev and chaos while waiting for an update (1.5 or 1.6, can't remember for sure.)

By the time bukket was updated and all the plugins based on it were ready, S (in chaos mode,) had been dead for over 2 weeks.

I agree with AvadaKedavra, at least let a decision be reached and give a couple weeks before asking for a change to Chaos.

• Upvote 1

Claiming the rev has been dead for a few weeks shows you are out of touch. In the last couple weeks there have been several builds at spawn going on as well as several scattered around the map.

Pushing for chaos now before a decision is even reached(let alone plugins coded, maps created, etc) is begging for a stale chaos period, which has happened before--such as when we pushed for an end of a rev and chaos while waiting for an update (1.5 or 1.6, can't remember for sure.)

By the time bukket was updated and all the plugins based on it were ready, S (in chaos mode,) had been dead for over 2 weeks.

I agree with AvadaKedavra, at least let a decision be reached and give a couple weeks before asking for a change to Chaos.

I've been on everyday for the past two weeks, I have seen the builds, and I think they are quite amazing. That doesn't change the fact that everyday I get on, there are less then 5 players on. To me, S is supposed to be a pvp community, where you risk building extraordinary builds while people continue to try and kill you. That's part of the fun of S. The problem now is the builds are barely getting seen, and there's no risk to it. Why not build these in P, where everyone can actually enjoy the project rather then on a server where 8 or 9 people at most are going to see it.  Also the idea isn't to just make the new world chaos, it's to take past rev maps from S and P and create chaos on there. This worked last summer, and it never got stale for a majority of players due to the exploration, destruction and looting aspect of the chaos maps.

• Upvote 3

Claiming the rev has been dead for a few weeks shows you are out of touch.

When you're managing to reach 5 players at peak times and for the majority of the day there's no one online, I think it's safe to say the revision is pretty dead. 

Instead of turning to chaos as we always do, I'd much rather use this time to test out ideas for major changes that were discussed in the meeting. If we did this we wouldn't want it to be too tasking from a tech or sadmin standpoint since it'd be a bit silly to put a lot of time into organising something that wouldn't last for too long. Maybe implement some big plugins that we've never tried before like mcmmo, factions etc. without tons of polls first just to change it up a bit and get an experience of these types of gameplay.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, we may as well just do something simple to finish off this revision, such as chuck in a few random (temporary) plugins rather than have the usual Chaos, or perhaps we can just do Chaos if that's less taxing on the Techs. The rev really is dead, there is no PvP at all for 80% of the day. Kinda hard to feel like you're having fun when all you're doing is bouncing around spawn hoping for someone to log on. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 1

When you're managing to reach 5 players at peak times and for the majority of the day there's no one online, I think it's safe to say the revision is pretty dead. 

Perhaps we play at different times, today we were at 7 players for awhile, yesterday when i logged on there were 6, wednesday night after work i was online with 8 others... 

While not up to beginning of rev numbers i would hardly call that dead...

• Upvote 1

Perhaps we play at different times, today we were at 7 players for awhile, yesterday when i logged on there were 6, wednesday night after work i was online with 8 others... 

While not up to beginning of rev numbers i would hardly call that dead...

Those numbers are the peak numbers at the moment. I haven't seen the player count go above 10 in over two weeks, and most of the time, believe it or not, the server is down to 0. 

• Upvote 3