Why were birthdays removed from the forums?

Jauris

Apparently someone was abusing the feature, but I don't see why you had to get rid of it for everyone else. It was a nice feature, and it felt good to be able to tell people happy birthday when the time came. Why use an axe to fix the problem when you should have used a scalpel?

Edited by Jauris

Apparently someone was abusing the feature, but I don't see why you had to get rid of it for everyone else. It was a nice feature, and it felt good to be able to tell people happy birthday when the time came. Why use an axe to fix the problem when you should have used a scalpel?

I agree, it really is a shame that some people simply cannot act maturely. I will be adding in some controls for us to disable birthdays for particular users as currently it's an all or nothing kind of thing. Until I can do that unfortunately they will remain disabled.

Or just ban the user and keep it enabled for everyone?

I won't go too deep into it because it's an active ban, but the user ban evaded to keep up the trolling. I'll try to not take too long with the fix. (if its more than a couple days, remind me!)

It's actually not silly at all, it's a tactic that is used in lots of occasions, if someone is abusing something, like this to get personal information about others, the feature is temporarily disabled until better control over that information is added

What are you talking about?

That isn't even close to why it was removed, don't talk about things you don't have any idea about.

I've disabled the offending accounts ability to edit their birthday and re-enabled them on the calendar / forum index.

Dang my birthday is in two days. You can do it SuperSlide!

You haven't even set a birthday here you silly face.