Nerd.nu General Meeting: I think it's about time we convene and sort this thing out.

Magnyus

It's quite clear that there is some tension regarding the way things are and I believe that the time has come for us to sit down in a mumble channel, and figure out where things are and most definitely where we want them to go. In a civilised manner, of course.

So, I would like to formally request that the Head Admins and Server Admins begin to plan for another meeting (especially since it's been a year since the last one).

I would also like to ask that the other players and moderators give their support and gather as much information as they can (comments, concerns, questions) to make the admin's jobs a little easier during this process.

Any input can be provided below.

• Upvote 9

What is this thing you have in mind? I would really hate to see a demand for a change in staff based on how the survival meetings went and what was covered in them. I haven't been on P or C recently, but I've not heard of any tension there. Is there a global element to the problem you see?

• Upvote 1

It's quite clear that there is some tension regarding the way things are

Could you elaborate on this? It is not quite clear to me what things you are referring to. If we know what the issues are, then we can make more informed decisions about your proposal.

edit: I mean, I'm all for meetings. I think that it's great to get together and sort things out. But if you feel there is some specific problem as referenced in your post, it would be good to know what the nature of that problem is before we proceed too much further if the meeting is intended to resolve it.

• Upvote 5

This was brought up in the Survival Mumble meetings by myself and a couple others, and it's appreciated that nerd.nu (on the majority) seems happy to look into having a full meeting. 

During the Survival meetings, there were a few problems that couldn't be solved as the input of other servers was required in order to make a reasonable decision. 
For a few of us, this brought a bigger picture to mind and, upon contemplating it a little, made us realize that we really need a Community Meeting.
I understand that the staff are finally kicking into top gear, trying to get nerd.nu moving to where it should be, but I really feel like I need to stress this point:
Don't let this slip.
Staff, please, don't ignore the fact that we need this meeting to happen if we don't want to become a ghost network. It's the most efficient way to work toward fixing the rifts between the servers whilst actually getting an idea of what we need to do in order to progress. 
It should be obvious that before we start trying to welcome players into the community, we need to repair the wounds between the three servers. 
The main rift is between Survival and PvE, (I admit that I myself contributed to this rift about half a year ago) a rift that's gotten stupidly complex over time. I have no clue how we can fix it, but as a community I'm sure we're going to be able to think up a way to put our differences aside. 
Again, please don't hesitate on this. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 2

This was brought up in the Survival Mumble meetings by myself and a couple others, and it's appreciated that nerd.nu (on the majority) seems happy to look into having a full meeting. 

During the Survival meetings, there were a few problems that couldn't be solved as the input of other servers was required in order to make a reasonable decision. 

For a few of us, this brought a bigger picture to mind and, upon contemplating it a little, made us realize that we really need a Community Meeting.

I understand that the staff are finally kicking into top gear, trying to get nerd.nu moving to where it should be, but I really feel like I need to stress this point:

Don't let this slip.

Staff, please, don't ignore the fact that we need this meeting to happen if we don't want to become a ghost network. It's the most efficient way to work toward fixing the rifts between the servers whilst actually getting an idea of what we need to do in order to progress. 

It should be obvious that before we start trying to welcome players into the community, we need to repair the wounds between the three servers. 

The main rift is between Survival and PvE, (I admit that I myself contributed to this rift about half a year ago) a rift that's gotten stupidly complex over time. I have no clue how we can fix it, but as a community I'm sure we're going to be able to think up a way to put our differences aside. 

Again, please don't hesitate on this. 

Honestly I don't see a rift between S and P. Maybe personal opinions of people on other people from other servers exist, but I went on P and was immediately welcomed into a city and the server. 

You're also asking a staff of people who do this in their spare time to focus on not only the problems on S and creating something interesting and fun again, but to focus on making a meeting for everyone? I want to go back to Mumberthrax's (ignored) post: "Could you elaborate on this? It is not quite clear to me what things you are referring to. If we know what the issues are, then we can make more informed decisions about your proposal." (this could have been answered privately, but if so, why can't the community know the answer?)

I could also be crazy and there could be huge problems between the servers, but I personally haven't seen anything.

• Upvote 3

> I could also be crazy and there could be huge problems between the servers, but I personally haven't seen anything.

It's not really a massive problem, but I'd like nerd be more competitive with other servers. We're the oldest continuing minecraft server, and at one point we were one of the biggest (being a hugely popular target for avo in 2010-2011 etc). We've had a head start in both time and maturity/technical ability of staff, yet player numbers have at best plateaued over the past couple of years. We haven't kept pace with the advances in custom minecraft gameplay that other servers have taken full advantage of.

Though PVE's vanilla-esque formula has managed to cut its own niche reasonably effectively, survival has been suffering. Servers half our age are attracting an order of magnitude more players, and the active minecraft playerbase in general seems to have been growing the entire time our numbers have been stable or declining.

Creative is another open question, and I'm personally in favour of dropping the no-roleplaying rule there. Roastnewt made a good case for this on mumble recently - creative is pretty much virtual lego, and when kids build a launch pad, spaceship or moonbase they want to actual inhabit them and have some fun playing make-believe with their friends. Players of creative minecraft are no longer pot-smoking college students folks - there's no point promoting an atmosphere of adult conversation if it means missing out a huge chunk of its potential appeal.

Edited by barneygale
  • Upvote 3

Eehee in all the years I've been here I've only seen this rift once and that is when you were creating it like you said. I think we honestly have more pressing issues to attend to. This rift idea is silly and I find it is 95% gone aside from those who wish to again always bring it up. I see so many S players often join P and when I join S often, I don't find P players because the rev is ending. Other than the bad timing the rev starting would see a spike in even P players.

Edit: didn't see Barney's post, but essentially summed up also what I was saying.

• Upvote 3

I would like to see this meeting happen so perhaps some Head Admin input on what the thoughts are?

Edit: HailSaban since you've been Missing for months at a time and clearly have something against our meeting, please say something rather than down vote everything.

• Upvote 2

All indications point to the survival admins working hard to turn survival around, and they have my support. But it might be useful to have a more general meeting, as the problems facing survival also affect the other 2 servers to some degree, and there's probably things we can attempt to make the staff more active, more "dynamic" (in the sense that everyone is encouraged to contribute whatever they're good at, and with clearer responsibilities. Those would be the things I'd talk about I suppose.

• Upvote 1

I believe we can only benefit from having a general server meeting, but as others have said, further input from players on what topics are of importance would improve the staff's ability to make informed decisions on what topics to cover. While I don't have as great a feel for P or S as other players here may, I don't believe that this "rift" between our servers is quite as bad as some people make it out to be. Yes, there are some people who regard C, P, and S as their own individual entities rather than a unified whole; instead, we should ensure that all three are working towards a common goal of optimizing the experience of the players. Such a goal, however, can't be effectively addressed unless we break it down into its contributing factors.

With virtually every action that's taken by the staff, with a large enough audience, it can pretty much be guaranteed that there are dissenters. And while such opinions seem to be frequently disregarded, they often have a point. In preparation for this meeting, I suggest we go through some of these comments and ask, what could we have done better? For example, changes were recently made to some of our rules, and it was mentioned that we should have gotten more feedback from the community before doing so. Maybe, maybe not, but this brings up the more general question of transparency and how the staff can compromise between security, privacy, and openness. I don't think we've been doing too bad a job of this lately, but I have seen several threads which don't need to be at the level of privacy at which they were posted, so this may be one topic to be revisited in a general server meeting.

Again, I believe much of the content should come from the player base, and I encourage people to submit their own ideas and concerns so that when the meeting does happen, we'll be able to have a positive and productive discussion.

• Upvote 5

I always thought the idea of "more players" is a good thing, but think of who we're up against here. The dominant servers with tons of players are factions and/or mini games servers. Since those have so many people, there is no community feel whatsoever, and a good amount of people in said servers have no respect for rules in general. Are these the kind of people we want here? Just leaving this here, as I may sound extremely stupid / in the wrong.

• Upvote 3

I always thought the idea of "more players" is a good thing, but think of who we're up against here. The dominant servers with tons of players are factions and/or mini games servers. Since those have so many people, there is no community feel whatsoever, and a good amount of people in said servers have no respect for rules in general. Are these the kind of people we want here? Just leaving this here, as I may sound extremely stupid / in the wrong.

It sounds as if you haven't played on these kinds of servers very much. There are plenty of factions/PvP servers that have good communities, you just need to play them for a little while to get a feel for things. They do respect the rules too, otherwise they wouldn't be playing there. Any new players are good players. We should advertise and aim to draw in as big of an audience as possible, then from the players we bring in, the ones who enjoy our servers will hopefully stick around.

• Upvote 2

As someone who started out on those types of servers, I must say I like this much better. The servers on the top of all the server list websites are the ones I'm getting at, as those have a large amount of players. I felt like each time I joined there were different people. I actually revisited an old one I used to frequent, and the only people I remembered were the staff. Here, everyone kinda knows each other, and most new players are welcomed in the community. I actually enjoy seeing some of the new guys stick around. You say the ones who join hopefully will stick around, but we may need something to ensure they'll stick around.

• Upvote 2

Yeah that's what I have no idea how to go about doing. As a player, I don't feel my say in the community means much of anything (kind of like e-mailing your mayor vs. e-mailing a state representative about a law change (I don't know what that equates to in other countries/territories but I hope you get it)) and also as a player, I physically cannot implement anything. I've also never been in a decision making position at all, and never have made a suggestion to improve something.

TL;DR I'm just like "yo"

• Upvote 1

As someone who started out on those types of servers, I must say I like this much better. The servers on the top of all the server list websites are the ones I'm getting at, as those have a large amount of players. I felt like each time I joined there were different people. I actually revisited an old one I used to frequent, and the only people I remembered were the staff. Here, everyone kinda knows each other, and most new players are welcomed in the community. I actually enjoy seeing some of the new guys stick around. You say the ones who join hopefully will stick around, but we may need something to ensure they'll stick around.

I agree with this. Survival needs some drastic changes and a big population increase, but I don't want a megaserver. A lot of us like nerd.nu because of the fact that we aren't a bunch of people playing a game online, but rather a community that's developed over time and has always been tightly packed. 

Some find a megaserver where everything seems unknown, including players, to be more fun, but I think that'd scare off the current veterans we have. If that's what really has to happen, so be it - but I don't think that needs to happen at all.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see this meeting happen so perhaps some Head Admin input on what the thoughts are?

Edit: HailSaban since you've been Missing for months at a time and clearly have something against our meeting, please say something rather than down vote everything.

He doesn't have anything against the meeting, it's all chill. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with this. Survival needs some drastic changes and a big population increase, but I don't want a megaserver. A lot of us like nerd.nu because of the fact that we aren't a bunch of people playing a game online, but rather a community that's developed over time and has always been tightly packed. 

Some find a megaserver where everything seems unknown, including players, to be more fun, but I think that'd scare off the current veterans we have. If that's what really has to happen, so be it - but I don't think that needs to happen at all.

Indeed. I personally think survival is cool as it is, but most people seem to disagree. That's cool. I mean one advertisement and a /r/mcservers post that was downvoted into oblivion isn't helping us much. The one thing we never strayed from is giving money for in game ranks / items. That's awesome.

• Upvote 1

Dex, last rev we had speed builds and that was pretty cool. The creative admins said they're getting it going this rev (plots permissions etc), so I'm looking forward to that. And, if you have other ideas, just request them! I'm sure the admins would love to hear that people like creative (I do, but ironically am not creative enough to think of ideas)

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...