Remove "discussion" posts from the subreddit, promote links to the forums

cmdrtebok

Discussing on reddit is a joke. Half of the accounts that participate never post in the subreddit in other times and the other half are trolls. I know some people have a persecution complex about fallout from stating their opinions but I have yet to see it actually happen. 

I'd like to have all server related discussion, threads like this one

http://www.reddit.com/r/mcpublic/comments/1f41iq/survival_is_having_a_player_crisis/ca6w0x2?context=3

take place here in the forums. I think we should remove threads like this as the discussion and tone become toxic quickly and ask them to repost a link to a discussion thread in the forum.

The forum has a lot of benefit over the subreddit for discussion.

• It is inline so you don't have to respond to multiple people in different posts
  • We can manage troll accounts and postings
  • People won't be buried by downvotes for having unpopular opinion
  • Discussion doesn't become a popularity context at all because of the flawed reddit voting system
  • Longer duration of thread visibility in the forums, not just 1 or 2 days
  • More active community members will have time to see and participate with out being trolled

I really think we should reserve the subreddit for pictures of builds, breaking news like update status, event posting and things like that. MCPublic is by far our best face fowards we shouldn't have it be dominated by useless "discussion", trolls and toxicity. 

Edit:

TL;DR I'm not trying to get rid of discussion, I want it moved to the forums. Reddit is merely a collection of links, nothing is stopping us from linking threads from the forum to reddit, there is even a button for it. 

also maybe this should be moved to regular discussions. 

• Upvote 5

I'm also against discussion being on the forums, it can quickly and suddenly turn into bile and shit slinging, as we've seen all too often in the past, heck its even happening now.  I hate to say it but we do not have the kind of community that can have a civil discussion about core issues on a forum.  Also this reputation system HAS to fucking go, it has no place in a forum, I don't care if its anywhere else.  It's retarded.

• Upvote 2

I'm also against discussion being on the forums, it can quickly and suddenly turn into bile and shit slinging, as we've seen all too often in the past, heck its even happening now. 

That is what happens on the subreddit except we have no control over it and its all people who never post otherwise with their nicknames. Often times on the subreddit there are only two or three active community members and even less staff who comment meanwhile it gets overwhelmed with people who have bones to pick and hide behind anonymity. Part of the reason is that the "discussions" on the subreddit last one or two days MAXIMUM. Not everyone gets to sign in every day and spend hours on a thread. Some issues take more then one day to think about and if you wait that long the thread is dead and no one will ever read it.

Look at TornadoHorses poll thread on the forum vs any survival discussion we have ever had on the subreddit. It is far better.

Lastly Tolgar you aren't exactly active in these kinds of discussions, I fail to see why you would opposed to trying it. When we used to have the old forums with discussion it worked great. It was a short sighted move to kill the forums when they were the most active and move it all to the subreddit in the first place. We never recovered that level of discourse again and now we are severely hurting in reputation and ideas. At least this is something to try. If it doesn't work out it isn't like we are deleting the subreddit.

Why did we buy these new forums if we aren't even going to spotlight their features. 

• Upvote 1

I find forums one of the worst places to discuss something.  Any community I've seen on the internet, its forum is one of the worst places humanity has to offer.  It's also super easy to derail a thread, someone might skip a bunch of entries, read someone's huge wall of text, and then spend the next 5 pages going back and forth on an issue thats not even about the topic anymore.  Sure reddit might not be perfect, and it really needs the ability to pin topics to the top of a subreddit.  But we've seen ourselves how shitty forum discussions are in the past on the last forum.  Maybe, just maybe, you LIKE that kind of discussion, revel in it even, you want the topic to stay at the top so you can pin someone against the wall for a week.

I try to stay out of huge forum 20 pagers unless its something I'm personally invested it.  Which for a lot of the old S drama, I sure wasn't.  Mostly because after reading a few pages worth, I'd be sick to my stomach.  Some people LOVE forums for this reason, just look at EVE, or WoW, or LoL.  I personally believe our community took a turn for the better once we got rid of being able to start those kind of discussions on forums.  Like a huge looming cloud of puke was blown away.  And the people who started those posts, stopped coming here altogether. 

Maybe its harder to gather everyone's input collectively, but I find staff meetings or IRC, mumble, to be better locations for people's opinions, some people don't seem to like fielding questions against their own opinion live however, but that's kind of too bad.  These forums still have a lot of what I call "social media bloat", what with the upvotes/downvotes, reputation systems, hell even at the bottom left as I'm typing this, theres a fucking DIGG button.  WTF.  Forums don't need that shit.

• Upvote 1

Guest Former Staff

Case in point threads like this https://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?/topic/198-on-the-subject-of-end-grinders-in-pve/

From P of all places.  The passive-aggressiveness went full on aggressive! :tongue:

Despite how this conversation started, it ended up with a resolution that has helped the P community.

For any example of discussions that haven't worked, I can find plenty of others which have been constructive (just take your pick from this forum).

I personally believe our community took a turn for the better once we got rid of being able to start those kind of discussions on forums.

We're lucky to have an active team of staff who can keep an eye on topics that get out of hand and step in appropriately, your linked topic is a perfect example of keeping discussion on track.

Maybe its harder to gather everyone's input collectively, but I find staff meetings or IRC, mumble, to be better locations for people's opinions

I'm quite certain that these formats will stay too. With the forums being a place to plan these, announce them on the subreddit and collect feedback from people who cannot make it through either medium.

These forums still have a lot of what I call "social media bloat"

I just ignore this 99% of the time, unless someone makes a post that I feel that simply replying to will not be enough to show my support.

These forums still have a lot of what I call "social media bloat", what with the upvotes/downvotes, reputation systems, hell even at the bottom left as I'm typing this, theres a fucking DIGG button.  WTF.  Forums don't need that shit.

Ya. Sorry about that. Ment to remove them a long time ago. Taken care of.