Consequences For Dying [Survival]

roastnewt

Hello Everyone!

I've been thinking that Survival would benefit from adding a consequence to dying.  If there were a consequence to dying, then:

1.  People would be motivated to wear armor.  At the moment, it's better to not wear armor than to risk losing it, if you can just respawn at your bed next to where you died.  In fact, wearing Protection 3+ armor at the moment is "punished" by making it so that you can lose your head.

2.  Adding bounties (which has been discussed) would make more sense.  If we added bounties to the server as it currently exists, then if someone ever sets a bounty on you, you can just have your friends kill you, and split the bounty.  If there were a consequence to dying, it would prevent this.

3.  You'd actually have to make farms, instead of committing suicide to refill your hunger bar.

4.  People wouldn't abuse the random spawns to fast travel (killing yourself over and over until you're close to where you want to be).

I thought I'd make this thread to see if people agreed with this idea, and maybe had some ideas about what the consequence could be.

• Upvote 5

I think instead of banning people for combat logging so they have to appeal, just set up the plugin so they're banned for maybe 30 minutes or an hour.

I don't think roastnewt is talking about combat logging. Besides, the player is usually warned a couple times before becoming banned.

I like the idea of some sort of consequence for dying. I definitely agree with there being no incentive to wear armor at the moment.

I think there should be a small deathban only applied during PVP. Maybe 1-5 minutes long? What are other peoples opinion on this?

This sounds good to me. Some sort of consequence just annoying enough to motivate users to not die. Would it be good to have it long be long enough for their items to disappear or short enough to give them a chance? I am leaning towards long enough for the items to disappear. 

• Upvote 2

I suppose a deathban has the potential to turn new players away on their first death. Something like the potion effects could still be an effective consequence without kicking users from the server. 

• Upvote 2

If we do this we need to kit out noobs. Random spawn + no starter kit is already pretty retarded without deathbans.

Well, there's always the option of only applying this stuff to people above a certain playtime, maybe an hour or two.  So you can starve to death a couple times before actually getting punished.

I'd hate to see deathbans that apply after PvP, as we already lose all our shit from dying in the first place. For example, it's always really dissapointing to lose a fight in the first place, but to be unable to play for a while afterwards just adds on frustration, not a challenge. I get that you might want to challenge players, but deathbans are just going to piss a bunch of people off and they aren't really something that we'd use to keep players coming back. I see a lot of new players die once, get frustrated and leave, deathbans aren't going to improve that. I really don't think we need consequences in general, actually, because it's already incredibly hard for new players to find wool, make a bed, sleep in it and not die in the first place (especially if they run into another player, likely well kitted out with gear) - a temporary ban as soon as they die will give them the push they need to go find another server. That's just my two cents, don't take it too seriously. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 3

So apart from death bans and negative pot effects, were there any other ideas? 

I think Eehee has a good point about death bans pushing new users away from our server, so maybe it would be better to have negative effects that still keep you connected to the server.

• Upvote 1

So what I got from the mumble meeting is that we want to be encouraging PvP more, to me, this discourages. Perhaps instead of bad things happening to you if you die, good (extra) things happen to the person that wins?

So what I got from the mumble meeting is that we want to be encouraging PvP more, to me, this discourages. Perhaps instead of bad things happening to you if you die, good (extra) things happen to the person that wins?

Didn't we try this like 2 revs ago? with player killstreak boosts? 

• Upvote 1

Yeah but what ruined that was spawn camping. If we keep the random respawns it should be different gameplay-wise.

The problem with that is that random spawns = no PvP at all, I don't think I've killed more than 5 different people this entire revision, so someone trying to get a killstreak reward would be painfully slow. 

Adding killstreaks and stuff would be interesting, but would do nothing to address the issues that I listed.

The idea of doing this would be to encourage people to try to avoid dying, by wearing armor, carrying potions, etc.  The only type of pvp it would discourage would be unarmored people running around getting ganked.

If we want to encourage PvP, we should take out random spawns.