Survival - UHC

slide

So I'm wanting to do a post-rev UHC event, similar to the style of the Mindcrack UHC series. I'm looking for feedback on what y'all would most like it to be.

My original idea was this:

• 5 teams of 3 players
  • 1000x1000 vanilla world that becomes smaller as the event goes on
  • Each team would be randomly spawned together in the world on start
  • I was thinking for team selection, you could submit a team and your combined ranking in the Survival Leaderboards would determine entry.
  • Using the leaderboards to me adds the secondary effect of encouraging PvP during rev. Obviously the leaderboards aren't perfect, but it would remove any partiality. We could potentially stop people from just killing their teammates by excluding those kills from the final leaderboard we use to do the rankings for the event.
  • You can submit just yourself or yourself and a friend as a team and others will be matched up to try to get the highest ranked teams.
  • Each team has 1 player live stream so that everyone can watch

I'm not locked into any of these choices so let me know what you think! We could just allow everyone in, and essentially have a large kill off at the beginning. Doing that though I think it'd be harder to get everyone to stream though.

Alternate team selection methods: Random, get a committee together and 'craft' the teams to maximize fairness, and everyone plays.

• Upvote 5

If we are going to limit the amount of players that can do the event, I would suggest having all players that were interested sign up, and then have 45 players randomly selected and distributed into 15 teams(or however many players/teams is decided on) as last survival rev I led the PvP stats despite never having enchanted a single set of diamond gear. I simply helped some players farm heads for fireworks and ended up on top.

• Upvote 1

Sounds good!

1. If many people want to apply, you could hold a competition during the S rev to decide who gets a place. Perhaps a build competition so entrants have to have varied skill in building and surviving. Maybe something functional like a competition to build roads or arenas?

2. Would the map border stop shrinking before the end portal is outside the map? Or is the objective not to kill the dragon, just to survive?

• Upvote 1

2. Would the map border stop shrinking before the end portal is outside the map? Or is the objective not to kill the dragon, just to survive?

Usually the objective of UHC is to be the last team or player alive (exceptions being seasons 1, 2, and 9 which were race to kill the dragon and season 4a which was still stay alive but with the twist of a central monument to complete instead of killing if the players wanted to)

Ah I guess I only saw the season where the dragon was the target.

I think it would be interesting to run UHC instead of post-rev chaos, and have everyone enter (no limited/defined teams). The shrinking map border is still a cool idea. It would be interesting to see what happens. You could conceivably design a whole server around that mechanic!

Edited by barneygale

• 2 weeks later...

What I'm actually thinking of doing, just to make it as inclusive as possible and minimize logistics with organizing teams and players is to just have everyone able to join the server 30 minutes prior to kickoff and team up (max 3 players per team). Teams will then be evenly dispersed around the map when its about to start.

To combat people logging off and waiting until the last minute to rejoin, i think I'm going to have a timer that counts your offline time, once it gets to 15 minutes it starts taking 1 hp away every minute and since you don't regain health that is a pretty big deterrent.

I think the end will also be disabled (no point in going there unless you want to hide, which i feel is lame lol) but the nether will be open with a fortress so you can get potion ingredients to regain health that way.

My biggest challenge so far has been what to do with the people who die early, or anyone else for that matter. I've finally gotten a setup that should allow truly invisibly spectators. The normal way of vanishing isn't complete, you essentially still interact with arrows and mobs can track you etc. This setup should remove all those so anyone can fly around the map and watch the entire event!

• Upvote 1

I'm planning on it being 4 hours long. Meaning that the world border will shrink down far enough, like to 100x100 by that time so it will effectively force everyone to battle. Though I may make it weighted more towards the end of the event since logging out at the 3:40 mark makes a much bigger difference than logging out 0:30 in

I'm a little shifty about using the nerd.nu/survival page rankings to determine whether we can enter or not. There hasn't really been much PvP this rev, most of the kills shown on there are generally clan members killing their team-mates for shits and giggles. I mean, we have someone ranked 10th on the board at no more than 22 kills, whereas in past revisions the 10th player would probably need well over 200 kills. 
I think it'd be more fun to hold a tryouts tournament for us to decide which players can get into the event itself. I'm not sure exactly how it'd go down, perhaps we could just do a process-of-elimination style arena, pitting two random teams against each-other and the winner goes forward to fight the next team, and after time the 15 unbeaten teams would enter the UHC. 
Just a suggestion, let me know your thoughts. 

I'm a little shifty about using the nerd.nu/survival page rankings to determine whether we can enter or not. There hasn't really been much PvP this rev, most of the kills shown on there are generally clan members killing their team-mates for shits and giggles. I mean, we have someone ranked 10th on the board at no more than 22 kills, whereas in past revisions the 10th player would probably need well over 200 kills. 

I think it'd be more fun to hold a tryouts tournament for us to decide which players can get into the event itself. I'm not sure exactly how it'd go down, perhaps we could just do a process-of-elimination style arena, pitting two random teams against each-other and the winner goes forward to fight the next team, and after time the 15 unbeaten teams would enter the UHC. 

Just a suggestion, let me know your thoughts. 

I agree with this, the only reason I'm 15th is because I kill Eehee and DementedMonkey so much..  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

In this Event could we apply the new Spectator mode, that comes out in 1.8 and to prevent where people are players that are in Spectator mode couldn't use chat or have a separate chat that the players can't hear? Just a suggestion :) 

• Upvote 2

In this Event could we apply the new Spectator mode, that comes out in 1.8 and to prevent where people are players that are in Spectator mode couldn't use chat or have a separate chat that the players can't hear? Just a suggestion :) 

Perhaps once 1.8 is released and there is a bukkit release available we can use the new feature. But that is possibly months away so for now we will be sticking with 1.7. You won't be able to see other players perspectives, but you will be able to fly around following them, teleport to different players and events (a fight or death etc), access their inventory and chests.

• Upvote 1

Perhaps once 1.8 is released and there is a bukkit release available we can use the new feature. But that is possibly months away so for now we will be sticking with 1.7. You won't be able to see other players perspectives, but you will be able to fly around following them, teleport to different players and events (a fight or death etc), access their inventory and chests.

Or, players aka the spectators could go into vanish mode, have a different chat then the people in the Event, Spectators won't be able to place/remove blocks, But will have the ability to fly and Teleport to other players in the Event and  i guess there won't be a way to see peoples perspectives, but hey everything else  would be cool.

Or, players aka the spectators could go into vanish mode, have a different chat then the people in the Event, Spectators won't be able to place/remove blocks, But will have the ability to fly and Teleport to other players in the Event and  i guess there won't be a way to see peoples perspectives, but hey everything else  would be cool.

That is exactly how it will work.

Can vanished players be affected by non-vanished players? If that is possible TPing to players during a fight could cause major issues.

I believe they are a possible hitbox for enderpearls, we were warned of this during spleef 18+ months ago.