PvE mumble meetings?

CROCKODUCK

Hello everyone! So this is mostly directed towards the PvE Admins, but I want to make this public for others who are wondering what happened to the annual PvE Mumble Meetings that used to occur? The link that is displayed in game shows this google docs that is almost 7 months ago!  Perhaps I have simply missed the announcement that we were stopping these type of reoccurring meetings but myself and others would appreciate some feedback! Thank you! 

• Upvote 1

Perhaps you meant monthly instead of annual ? :D

Yeah. We had a regular thing going on with Den for a while, then the meetings kind of dropped off after becoming a HAdmin. Every time I brought it up it was met with a "we'll see" response. I'd love to see them picked up again, even if we don't have a ton of things to be updated on each time. It was good for keeping communication lines open between the admins and playerbase. :/

• Upvote 1

Yeah. We had a regular thing going on with Den for a while, then the meetings kind of dropped off after becoming a HAdmin. Every time I brought it up it was met with a "we'll see" response. I'd love to see them picked up again, even if we don't have a ton of things to be updated on each time. It was good for keeping communication lines open between the admins and playerbase. :/

Couldn't of said it better myself. I know they are a burden but they are usually once a month so picking it back up would be nice

Sorry guys, these kinda got put on the back burner. I spoke to buzzie71 and tompreuss and we're all up for another meeting. We just need topics from you guys for what people want to hear/talk about. Either posting your topic here or PMing a padmin if you don't want to post publicly works.

We don't know when will work for us yet, but we'll have a post once we have a time and date.

• Upvote 3

One topic I think will be popular is 1.8. Do you wait for the update then make a new rev, or update mid rev and bring new things in, make recipes for the new underground blocks. Also do you have a vanilla generation with the new options? The ocean temple blocks, maybe give the finders of the ones that generate (in old worlds too) a month or two then add trades/recipes for those blocks?

Once we're in 1.8, there's an option for changing the tick speed (from 20 per second). I would like to know if we could turn on nearly every scoreboard counter, but not have anything show ingame. Have all that on a website? Any limits to slime block machines? Will we need a lapis plump? Any use of barrier blocks or the world border? The tinge from the border could be annoying for anyone living or working near it, so maybe have it 50 blocks past the worldguard border? Does worldguard need to consider sponge block placements near region edges? Villager willingness sounds odd - do we need something more obvious? "Slimes will now randomly despawn over time if no player is within a 32 meter range" - We might want that reversed?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a stretch, but sending items on PvE has always been a long needed feature for me and many others I know of.  So could we discuss adding something like making a chest /send <player name> and then that chest just sends to a player who has done /receive <player name> or making minecart chests useful or anything along those lines? 

Just make a chest, use /cmodify crockodile on it, and then /mail send crockodile i left items in chest for you at x y z.

IMHO having the ability to send items without interaction discourages map exploration, player interaction, and transportation development, all of which are very important on PvE.

Just make a chest, use /cmodify crockodile on it, and then /mail send crockodile i left items in chest for you at x y z.

IMHO having the ability to send items without interaction discourages map exploration, player interaction, and transportation development, all of which are very important on PvE.

That's what I was worried about also beast, so perhaps a better form of minecart chest transportation, like where they won't become stuck in unloaded chunks?

• 2 weeks later...

In an attempt to get this going again, I've organized everything that people have suggested here/I have heard in-game/my ideas and other ramblings.

New Crafting Recipes

- Solid stone slab brick (Discussed here)

- Other blocks as well? Such as mossy stone/cobble stone, cracked stone, chiseled stone

New Revs/Rev 14

- Portal system (Previously discussed here and elaborated by me below)

- Custom Nether (Discussed below by me)

- Map types (Discussed below by me)

- Wait for 1.8 release for new rev? If not, how are we going to handle new things in 1.8 (Briefly discussed above)

- Sending items to other players (Briefly discussed above)

- When is the new rev, this is the longest so far and they keep getting longer, is it still random? (Briefly discussed above)

Policy Changes

- Enable TNT as a decorative item or to use against mobs (Briefly discussed here)

- Larger PvP Arena Sizes (Discussed below by me)

Here are the things that I tossed in and my thoughts on them:

Portal Changes

We discussed portal changes in a topic but nothing came of it. I feel like this subject needs to be revisited as I feel that the portal system doesn't work. Such as this Rev, we have 8 portals not including spawn, and several of the portal towns are dead or have almost no life. Some of them have been dead for quite awhile. I don't think that this is fair to other towns that are staying active that don't have portals as well as new builds. I would like this topic to be revisited and discussed by hopefully a larger audience in the mumble meeting.

PvP Arena Sizes

I brought this up in the past and I got a strong no but I had several players that agreed with me. I would personally like to see the PvP Arena size increased. As a PvE Server our primary focus is against the environment but I feel that some PvP matches here and there are quite fun. We've done all sorts of silly fist fights, full armored fights, and more and it's been a blast. I think increasing the size of PvP arenas would allow for more creative builds that involve PvP aspects. An example, I have always wanted to build some sort of large scale PvP racing arena but due to the size limit I would have to build it vertically and building it vertically would make racing difficult. Arguments against this would be that it would take away from Survival which I disagree with. Battling in an arena versus battling it out in a open area and getting into players bases isn't the same as having a match in a arena. I would like to see this topic discussed by a larger crowd.

Custom Nether

I would like to see PvE adapt a custom nether as Survival has. Having different biomes would allow for resources to be made more abundant (such as obsidian or glowstone). It would also allow for some more diversity in the nether instead of just netherrack everywhere.

Map Types

I have talked about this with other players and opinions see to sway so I'd like to see this discussed. My opinion: Firstly, I personally like this Rev's map. I think it provided a good balance of biomes but I feel it lacks the versus environment part. My personal favorite map was Rev 11 with the giant hills and wide changing terrain, as well as the nice little touches here at there made by the admins. I want to see more challenging terrain next rev or in future revs. It forces player to fight the environment which is what were all about, and to adapt to it. I saw some really awesome builds in Rev 11 where they had to adapt to the terrain and want to see more of this. I want to see mountains that are 200 blocks tall and vast valleys and canyons, I want to see more challenging terrain! One thing I also missed was the unique ore generation. I like how certain ores were plumped in certain biomes. Such as gold ore is 2% plumped in deserts or emeralds are 4% more plumped in hill biomes. I would like to see the return of more difficult terrain and unique ore generation. Some more ocean/lakes would be nice. This somewhat large ocean in the corner I feel is really denying some cool water builds that players could make.

• Upvote 6

Awesome list Switch. I think we need to be careful not to do 50 things at once for these meetings. Discussing everything at once then having nothing else to talk about for 4 months didn't help much in terms of keeping the meetings a regular thing. I think 1.8 already has a lot to bring to the table as is, many of which I doubt will drastically change this late in the update's development, on top of the big list Switch just compiled.

To suggest some more things for discussion:

Experimental PvE Revisions

1/1.5 month P revisions where we play around with a few things, such as portal policy and interesting new plugins, similar to what S just did. I think these would also be good for killing a rev if it ever gets too long, without necessarily having to go to chaos. This is not a suggestion necessarily for right now, but something to look into for future revisions to come, and I want to know how the PAdmins/community feel about them.

Changing The Nether Ratio

As an obviously huge proponent of infrastructure on P, I think fast travel can be a little too powerful with the current 1:8 overworld/nether ratio. I'd like to see to the possibility of changing it to something like 1:4 or 1:6 in order to encourage overworld travel more. There is already an existing plugin for this change and it has been tested on S.

Trade Chests

Every rev I see little shops get made by players that quickly die out because they tend to not work trade-wise. It requires both players to be on at the same time, which tends to not be convenient. Technically shops can be made using hoppers, but let's face it: they're big, bulky, and a pain to set up for the average player on top of being slow due to hopper tickrate along with terrible user interface. I'm a huge supporter of increased trade because it encourages people to move around the map and see new places, and I think plugin based chest shops would help facilitate that more. I feel rather than hurting player-to-player interaction it would instead encourage more advertisements for towns. I briefly touched up on this with the PAdmins but I think public discussion on it would be good since it may require some work on the technical side.

• Upvote 2

Sorry for the delay, everyone. So since long meetings aren't the most enjoyable, we're going to split the topics here into two groups and have two separate meetings a week apart. The first will be this Saturday, July 26th at 5:00 PM eastern time. The second will be the following Saturday, August 2nd also at 5 PM eastern time. The topics will be split into the following groups:

Meeting One

• New crafting recipes/blocks
  • 1.8 new rev? When is the new rev in general?
  • Experimental PvE revs
  • Map types
  • Portal system/changes

Meeting Two

• Custom nether
  • Changing the nether ratio
  • Sending items to other players
  • Trade chests
  • PvP arena sizes

Hopefully with split will allow for us time to focus and give topics plenty of discussion while also allowing space for additional ideas that might come up as the meeting goes along.

• Upvote 5

I thought I posted some of these before on the sub or somewhere else but I couldn't find where I did. 

- Quartz in the overworld.  Quartz is an awesome decorative block but due to how hard it is to get a lot of it, you don't see many people using it.  It would also be nice to have for comparators. 

- Some type of restriction on hopper use.  I'm unsure how much of an effect hoppers have on server lag, but there are some ridiculous automated farms out there that rely way too much on hopper item transportation.

- A timelimit on horses or something similar.  I remember slide saying that horses caused a decent amount of lag, so I'm not sure if anything could be thought up to reduce the number of horses.  

- Some sort of plugin to protect villagers.  This was discussed a little bit on the subreddit.  

• Upvote 1