Congratulations on 100k total server bans

BCB228

I'm reminded of this clip from Liar Liar,

frabz-stop-breaking-the-law-asshole-70db

Do you not agree that MCPublic is seen as a ban-happy server?

The only people I ever hear complain about it being ban happy are the ones getting banned. I don't hear 99% of p complaining, or 99% of c complaining? Those servers are staffed by the same people and somehow, they get along with us and the rules quite nicely. Have y'all ever, even once considered that y'all are the problem?

• Upvote 6

I'll admit I've made a few people beg, but the steps I listed is not begging. It is a chance to prove they are capable of following directions.

What circumstances caused them to beg?

What is the point of proving that they are capable of following orders? Is it necessary.

If you can't follow the rules, then you can't play here

Of course not, but that is not what is being discussed here.

• Upvote 2

I'm reminded of this clip from Liar Liar,

frabz-stop-breaking-the-law-asshole-70db

The only people I ever hear complain about it being ban happy are the ones getting banned. I don't hear 99% of p complaining, or 99% of c complaining? Those servers are staffed by the same people and somehow, they get along with us and the rules quite nicely. Have y'all ever, even once considered that y'all are the problem?

Please remember not to group everyone commenting into the same boat.

There seems to be people commenting here that are just generally interested in seeing some change, and it's not fair that they be grouped into a comment like this, that's a very fast way to kill off user feedback.

• Upvote 7

bmx20042004, on 03 Jul 2014 - 12:46 AM, said:snapback.png

The rules are twisted and turned to fit their selected narrative so they can be banned in certain situations.

Jauris, on 03 Jul 2014 - 12:44 AM, said:snapback.png

There are a number of vague rules that are completely open to mod / admin interpretation.

Please remember not to group everyone commenting into the same boat.

There seems to be people commenting here that are just generally interested in seeing some change, and it's not fair that they be grouped into a comment like this, that's a very fast way to kill off user feedback.

Who wants change that isn't in that boat? Especially people from this thread, but in general too.

edit: I may have phrased that wrongly, I did expect there to be several answers. Four tells me roastnewt is one.

Edited by tobylane
  • Upvote 1

> The only people I ever hear complain about it being ban happy are the ones getting banned. I don't hear 99% of p complaining, or 99% of c complaining? Those servers are staffed by the same people and somehow, they get along with us and the rules quite nicely. Have y'all ever, even once considered that y'all are the problem?

I don't understand... even... what! The point you're trying to make is... that.. few among our rather small playerbase is complaining about it being ban-happy? What a startling insight! The people who aren't banned aren't complaining about being banned! Whodathunkit... A brave argument, but it rather forgets there are 100,000 minecraft players who will never join the servers without having to register a forum account. Most people won't even bother going to nerd.nu/appeal. Many were banned for minor griefing that would be a week-long tempban on any other server.

You seem to think of your job as quality-control for the servers, like a bouncer at a nightclub with a dress code.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand... even... what! The point you're trying to make is... that.. few among our rather small playerbase is complaining about it being ban-happy? What a startling insight! The people who aren't banned aren't complaining about being banned! Whodathunkit... A brave argument, but it rather forgets there are 100,000 minecraft players who will never join the servers without having to register a forum account. Most people won't even bother going to nerd.nu/appeal. Many were banned for minor griefing that would be a week-long tempban on any other server.

No, the point I'm trying to make is that letting the people that are often getting banned decide how bans should be implemented is not a good idea. For lack of a better analogy, its like asking an alcoholic to watch over my liquor store while I go on vacation.

You seem to think of your job as quality-control for the servers, like a bouncer at a nightclub with a dress code.

What the hell? OF COURSE the admins/mods are quality control for the servers. What do we just let you decide for yourself if you should be banned? No we don't care about dress code, we care if you start a fight, and we will throw you out.

• Upvote 2

So getting back on topic, what is this thread hoping to resolve?  It honestly seems like everyone on here are just bickering with one another.  In my personal opinion, NO the system is not broken.  As slide has just said, yes of course we are quality control for the servers... Who else is going to be?  

The bans from 2011-2012 were from a different time.   A time when this game had some VERY aggressive players who were often young and did not understand the damage and annoyance that they caused.  So for this whole trollish "congrats on the 100k bans" to continue is ridiculous.  The reason we have 100k bans is cause we were an enormous presence back in 2011-2012 and with that, came the threat of massive amounts of griefers who often and continuously struck the servers, obviously leading to all of them being banned, and then since they did not care, they would/will not appeal.  

This is all very simple when you come down to it, and everyone in here arguing about how "the system is broken" have nothing even reasonable to stand on to say this.  Nothing at all.  Again when you think about how big a server we were/are and how big of a threat griefing groups used to pose, 100k is actually very reasonable.  I for one, will go ahead and push for this thread to be closed as again it was posted out of trolling nature. 

• Upvote 4

So for this whole trollish "congrats on the 100k bans" to continue is ridiculous.  The reason we have 100k bans is cause we were an enormous presence back in 2011-2012 and with that, came the threat of massive amounts of griefers who often and continuously struck the servers, obviously leading to all of them being banned, and then since they did not care, they would/will not appeal. 

I wouldn't say this is a "troll" congratulations. After learning there have been around 100k bans in 5 years ( Unce- Thats like 54 bans per day for 5 years.) I thought i should point it out and discuss.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say this is a "troll" congratulations. After learning there have been around 100k bans in 5 years ( Unce- Thats like 54 bans per day for 5 years.) I thought i should point it out and discuss.

Okay, but again you are missing the point that there was a time in our servers long history when we had at least 100 to 300 bans a day across all servers because of these "griefing teams" and other members who as mentioned before, were young and now have no interest in Minecraft, so they will never appeal. 

• Upvote 1

My fear with temp bans is a player being temp banned, leave, only to get on minecraft bored one day and decide to do what they did earlier. For me, the system now weeds out players who are here just to troll and push the boundaries. People who choose to make an account and appeal are players who for the most part actually want to play on the server. Sure 100k accounts have been banned, but how many of those players actually want to play, put in time, put in user feedback? I feel if they truly did, making an appeal (that only has to be like a sentence for the most part) would not be that big of a deal. 

On the flip side, I do think some bans may not have been handled in the best manner (recently and in the past), and I would be open to looking over the way we do appeals. 

• Upvote 2

No, the point I'm trying to make is that letting the people that are often getting banned decide how bans should be implemented is not a good idea. For lack of a better analogy, its like asking an alcoholic to watch over my liquor store while I go on vacation.

What the hell? OF COURSE the admins/mods are quality control for the servers. What do we just let you decide for yourself if you should be banned? No we don't care about dress code, we care if you start a fight, and we will throw you out.

I feel that comment about being an alcoholic is very offensive. That's pretty much the same thing as making fun of a disability to explain something. Almost like saying "it's like someone with a twitch asking to do a surgery for me" that would really offend me.

As to the comment about you guys doing quality control I understand but people would like to have changes made. Can I not ask for changes to the appeal system to be made just because I was banned? Is my opinion worthless?

• Upvote 1

What is there to discuss when the trend that got Nerd there has gone?

I think the analogy is great, because the problem is invisible to the drunk guy till someone points it out, then they get angry. What would cold turkey be for here?

• Upvote 2

Data to the rescue! This is a plot of number of bans per day. As you can see, the trend line clearly shows we are severely reducing number of bans given out.

% of total bans per year:

2014 =  2.4% so far

2013 = 12.3%

2012 = 51.0%

2011 = 34.3%

p2ttTl4.png

• Upvote 5

Data to the rescue! This is a plot of number of bans per day. As you can see, the trend line clearly shows we are severely reducing number of bans given out.

% of total bans per year:

2014 =  2.4% so far

2013 = 12.3%

2012 = 51.0%

2011 = 34.3%

p2ttTl4.png

Could you provide a graph of total active players from that time scale?

I'll admit I've made a few people beg, but the steps I listed is not begging. It is a chance to prove they are capable of following directions.

What circumstances caused them to beg?

What is the point of proving that they are capable of following orders? Is it necessary.

If you can't follow the rules, then you can't play here

Of course not, but that is not what is being discussed here.

I don't see a problem with our ban system.

It is extremely easy to appeal. For most cases, it just involves two or three short replies to the appeal and its over. Even users that have severely broken the rules are given a second chance. 

• Upvote 2

What about a jail system? Player gets jailed and must provided the number for the rule that they broke to be released. This system would work for most minor bans and would force the player to read the rules. It could be done easily with a plugin.

Here is an example:

"You have been jailed by [modname] for racism, please use the /unjail [number] command with the number for the rule you broke to be released"

This would show new players that they are not permbanned and would save them the trouble of having to go through the lengthy appeal process.

• Upvote 2

What about a jail system? Player gets jailed and must provided the number for the rule that they broke to be released. This system would work for most minor bans and would force the player to read the rules. It could be done easily with a plugin.

Here is an example:

"You have been jailed by [modname] for racism, please use the /unjail [number] command with the number for the rule you broke to be released"

This would show new players that they are not permbanned and would save them the trouble of having to go through the lengthy appeal process.

I thought s.nerd.nu already had a jail system