Congratulations on 100k total server bans

BCB228

I thought s.nerd.nu already had a jail system

I think some of the spawns had them, but I've only seen a jail used once.

What I proposed is an automated system for minor rule violations. For example, if a new player griefed some crops, they would be jailed and forced to input a number for the rule they broke to be released. This would help retain new players and would only be used for minor violations. Many people leave and never come back if they have to make a forum account and request to be unbanned for something minor. It can take over 2 days for a mod respond to a ban appeal. Somone looking for a server to play would rather go to another server than wait two days to possibly get unbanned.

• Upvote 2

I agree unce. There should be a list of banned words so if they get said in game the jail plugin will send them to a cell automatically.

People will always find ways to circumvent chat filters, or use slurs that aren't in the chat filter and say "oh. it wasn't in the filter. That means I can say it"

• Upvote 3

People will always find ways to circumvent chat filters, or use slurs that aren't in the chat filter and say "oh. it wasn't in the filter. That means I can say it"

Well for example if the word "faggot" is banned and the user uses "f4ggot" that would be a reason for a temp ban / ban for getting around the chat filter.

• Upvote 1

Man this thread is getting pretty circklejerky, "All of us who have been banned here before don't like the way bans work!" Well no shit, how about you stop breaking the rules?

​Breaking the rules doesn't always call for a ban. Take dobreira's ban for example, 1 year for hitting someone through a portal on PvE. 1 fucking year. Don't you understand how bullshit that is?

You also directed that at everyone in the thread that's been banned in the past, so I take offence. In fact, my most recent ban, as you may recall, didn't involve me breaking any rules - and unless you envision me as Kim Jong Hitlersatan, you'd probably also know I wasn't trying to get myself banned. 

Pulling away from that, if we were to implement a chat-filter system, I'd be pleased if saying a banned word also placed a note on the player attempting to say bad things. That way, we can keep track of repeat offenders that could otherwise keep coming back after their temp-bans/jailings. 

Edited by EeHee2000
  • Upvote 4

Pulling away from that, if we were to implement a chat-filter system, I'd be pleased if saying a banned word also placed a note on the player attempting to say bad things. That way, we can keep track of repeat offenders that could otherwise keep coming back after their temp-bans/jailings. 

this is 200% more productive than the jail plugin idea mentioned. 

• Upvote 1

​Breaking the rules doesn't always call for a ban. Take dobreira's ban for example, 1 year for hitting someone through a portal on PvE. 1 fucking year. Don't you understand how bullshit that is?

A player who had several unrelated ban appeals in the past, including one saying this is your final chance, chose to abuse a bug that the admins were aware of. Context matters, though not as much on S. (edit I was having a go at a more accurate description of Dob's offence)

Automated chat moderation sounds like a bad idea. There would be so many false positives (or claims of) that it would be watered down till it does almost nothing. Could someone provide some chat logs in text from S and we can see how many bad words are used in a jail-worthy way?

Edited by tobylane
  • Upvote 3

​Pulling away from that, if we were to implement a chat-filter system, I'd be pleased if saying a banned word also placed a note on the player attempting to say bad things. That way, we can keep track of repeat offenders that could otherwise keep coming back after their temp-bans/jailings.

What would saying a banned word do if this were implemented, I know you suggested it placed a MCBouncer note on them, but would it kick them, tempban them? The only chat filter systems that I've seen on minecraft servers censor cuss words, like someone says f*ck and it gets replaced with that minecraft special random character text.

What would saying a banned word do if this were implemented, I know you suggested it placed a MCBouncer note on them, but would it kick them, tempban them? The only chat filter systems that I've seen on minecraft servers censor cuss words, like someone says f*ck and it gets replaced with that minecraft special random character text.

You can set the chat filter to not allow the message to be sent or have the banned word be replaced with another word.

A player who had several unrelated ban appeals in the past, including one saying this is your final chance, chose to abuse a bug that the admins were aware of. Context matters, though not as much on S.

Automated chat moderation sounds like a bad idea. There would be so many false positives (or claims of) that it would be watered down till it does almost nothing. Could someone provide some chat logs in text from S and we can see how many bad words are used in a jail-worthy way?

1st, I dont know what you are talking about but im guessing you are refering to me since we talked earlier, but i dont know what that has to do with what is being currently discussed.

2nd. If there is a false positive an admin could just remove the note if there was on added automatically. I have played on servers that have a chat filter in effect like this and chat is always clean.

• Upvote 2

You also directed that at everyone in the thread that's been banned in the past, so I take offence. In fact, my most recent ban, as you may recall, didn't involve me breaking any rules - and unless you envision me as Kim Jong Hitlersatan, you'd probably also know I wasn't trying to get myself banned. 

Just popping in to remind everyone it's a commonly known rule that we refrain from discussing others ban appeals outside of the appeals and I know you're aware of that eehee and if you really have concerns, take it to a head admin.

While I like the chat filter idea, we would need to be thorough about finding and blocking all forms of getting around certain words so we truly have an air tight seal so to say. Although I think that would be rather difficult and take time and experience of how users circumvent the filter.

• Upvote 6

While I like the chat filter idea, we would need to be thorough about finding and blocking all forms of getting around certain words so we truly have an air tight seal so to say.

Not really. All nerd would need is list of banned words like this there already is (mainly all of the homophobic and racist ones). After the chat filter is installed if a user who first joins the server and uses one of those words they will just be warned by the plugin, and if they get around the plugin then a mod / admin could kick / temp ban / do what every they feel is necessary. 

there honestly should have been a chat filter plugin loooooooooong ago, but then again, People weren't such cry babies back then about chat,

Do you honestly think he was banned for JUST shooting an arrow through a portal? The recent long term bans were warned multiple times. What's bullshit is that they keep doing stuff.

Honestly something I would love is a small page per player on the nerd site that had a list of every single rule a player has broken. That way, when long term bans are issued, we can point to that page and show exactly why. I guarantee it would list 10x more then you ever would admit or even knew about.

• Upvote 2

Do you honestly think he was banned for JUST shooting an arrow through a portal? The recent long term bans were warned multiple times. What's bullshit is that they keep doing stuff.

Honestly something I would love is a small page per player on the nerd site that had a list of every single rule a player has broken. That way, when long term bans are issued, we can point to that page and show exactly why. I guarantee it would list 10x more then you ever would admit or even knew about.

I would love that for my ban because there would be nothing :D

• Upvote 1