MinecraftServers.org Ad

slide

So I've placed an ad for MCPublic up on MinecraftServers.org and made a quick banner. I'm by no means a graphic designer though so if anyone is or comes up with something better, we would love to use it. It also allows a "description" and a "youtube trailer" if anyone is interested in producing either of those things that would also make the ad stand out more.

• Upvote 5

Cool. I guess that begs the question for if we're going to ask or encourage players to vote up the server, and for that matter how to go about doing that in a way that doesn't violate our base principles. I don't expect to compete with the huge servers that bribe their players into voting, but we could at least get a few pages from the top if we put a little effort in.

• Upvote 1

Cool. I guess that begs the question for if we're going to ask or encourage players to vote up the server, and for that matter how to go about doing that in a way that doesn't violate our base principles. I don't expect to compete with the huge servers that bribe their players into voting, but we could at least get a few pages from the top if we put a little effort in.

Ask for a vote up on the forums then, its not telling players on the server to do it, but most of our users read this forum.

Good work slide!

Edited by Difficult1

I don't think a message of "Help our advertising efforts" is out of line with our principles - stickied or sidebarred on the subreddit, stickied on the forums and via in-game server messages. We wouldn't bribe for votes, just ask and point to the url, and it wouldn't be spammy.

Thanks for pointing that out GMMan! Added it to the entry. Yea we definitely won't be giving anything out but i don't think its unreasonable for a random alert. I went ahead and added one this morning to get the ball rolling, if people don't like it it can be removed.

• Upvote 1

Is it true that we're the oldest free, public minecraft server? If so, I can add that to my pitch when I reply to [Wanted] threads in /r/mcservers.

Yes from my knowledge of this server's history this server was up during Minecraft Alpha, and it has always been called MCPublic, so it was public and I doubt that this server wasn't free

Edit: Nerd.Nu also had a minecraft classic server back in early 2011 because that's what everyone played when they wanted minecraft multiplayer back then

See http://redditpublic.com/wiki/Creative/redditpublicmap6

Edited by coolgamerovr90

Is it true that we're the oldest free, public minecraft server? If so, I can add that to my pitch when I reply to [Wanted] threads in /r/mcservers.

Yep.  I joined the servers in August 2010, and the servers had already been running for quite a while.  This was when Alpha Minecraft first came out, but the servers had been running InDev Minecraft (which was browser-based!) since June 2009!!

• Upvote 3

http://minecraft.net/play still exists to this date, but it loads up 1.5

This was actually still the first server I played on, though to be fair it was about half a day of playing because of how chaotic everything is.  There are NEVER any moderators there and they just simply like to watch the server run itself, and I am sure 1.5 was the last time anyone bothered to even look at it, so I would not even count that. 

So I was looking at some numbers on the server listing site and found that a lot of the servers listed past 150-200 have less than 500 votes. Considering how we were able to get 40 in about 2-3 days without that many people even voting, it really wouldn't take much to get up there in the rankings where we'd be more visible. Even a small group of people getting into the habit of voting every day for a month or so would put us up there. If someone searched one of our keywords: "vanilla/pve/creative/survival" we would be quite visible.

TL;DR With even semi-agressive voting by the community we could be quite visible on the server listing in the next month or two.

EDIT: Nevermind the votes reset each month. Still, voting on a daily basis would be good imo

So I was looking at some numbers on the server listing site and found that a lot of the servers listed past 150-200 have less than 500 votes. Considering how we were able to get 40 in about 2-3 days without that many people even voting, it really wouldn't take much to get up there in the rankings where we'd be more visible. Even a small group of people getting into the habit of voting every day for a month or so would put us up there. If someone searched one of our keywords: "vanilla/pve/creative/survival" we would be quite visible.

TL;DR With even semi-agressive voting by the community we could be quite visible on the server listing in the next month or two.

Voting resets on the 1st of each month, the vote counts you are seeing are from the last few days.

• Upvote 5