Forum rule request: use of up/downvotes

barneygale

Votes  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should votes stay or go?

• Keep them!
    • Banish them!
    • Only remove downvotes!

Personally I think the voting feature is stupid and abusable, but if we must have it, I suggest we adopt some rules from reddit's reddiquette:

Please don't:

• Downvote an otherwise acceptable post because you don't personally like it. Think before you downvote and take a moment to ensure you're downvoting someone because they are not contributing to the community dialogue or discussion. If you simply take a moment to stop, think and examine your reasons for downvoting, rather than doing so out of an emotional reaction, you will ensure that your downvotes are given for good reasons.

• Mass downvote someone else's posts. If it really is the content you have a problem with (as opposed to the person), by all means vote it down when you come upon it. But don't go out of your way to seek out an enemy's posts.

• Upvote or downvote based just on the person that posted it. Don't upvote or downvote comments and posts just because the poster's username is familiar to you. Make your vote based on the content.

As an example of what this is to address, an admin said this in a public channel, concerning a recent thread:

Most of the posts I did downvote was because they were being upvoted by the people I didn't particularly like, so I like to even out the karma I guess

The same admin also went through the profile of a player and downvoted all their posts.

I think this feature promotes a turf war between different perceived "factions" of the community, and it's complete bullshit. Can we remove the feature or adopt reasonable rules? Thanks

• Upvote 10

I completely agree but I feel that the system does provide some sort of usefulness. Perhaps we could change the system to only allow upvoting so that posts you agree with you can upvote to show your support, that would also prevent someone from making a separate post just to say "I agree". You could even set it (if possible) so that any votes you receive don't count toward your count on your profile, we could even just remove the total count from your profile.

• Upvote 5

I would agree with you dizney.

The times I have been inclined to use downvotes have been out of laziness when I didn't feel like putting in the effort to think through and post a response.

I do think that upvotes serve a useful purpose as they can be used instead of a 

^^^^^This^^^^^

style post

• Upvote 5

That's funny, considering you've  downvoted a few of my contributing posts BeastBruiser.

Yup, trying not to though as that does nothing to help the servers.

The times I have been inclined to use downvotes have been out of laziness when I didn't feel like putting in the effort to think through and post a response.

Anyways, do you have a contributing comment to post that I could maybe upvote? or just more mudslinging?

• Upvote 3

Yup, trying not to though as that does nothing to help the servers.

Anyways, do you have a contributing comment to post that I could maybe upvote? or just more mudslinging?

Like any of what you just said was positively contributing...

I don't see a problem with upvotes or downvotes. Lots of people want them to stay because it's easier to give a vote rather than typing out an opinion/idea that's already been said. If you use them incorrectly then it'll give you a poor reputation. Generally, I think that's enough to put people off from misusing them but if they do get misused it's no big deal.

• Upvote 8

Ehh, take it for what it is, I was responding to his (unfortunately accurate) accusation, and asking for a legitimate post.

I don't see a problem with upvotes or downvotes. Lots of people want them to stay because it's easier to give a vote rather than typing out an opinion/idea that's already been said. If you use them incorrectly then it'll give you a poor reputation. Generally, I think that's enough to put people off from misusing them but if they do get misused it's no big deal.

For an upvote, sure, but threads full of downvotes usually turn confrontational rather than constructive quickly and downvotes are almost always used as a lazy alternative to posting a thought out reply. I see very few constructive uses for downvotes.

• Upvote 2

I see them being mis-used, but I'd like to keep them as a replacement for minor (^this^) posts, and a vast improvement over reddit voting. I like knowing the sides everyone takes on each post without needing them to have a post.

• Upvote 6

The problem I see with the system is that it encourages to much of the whole "faction?" thing between players. If you look at the previous thread about 100k bans it is for the most part the same group of people upvoting or downvoting another group of people and nothing useful is coming out of it.

It's not mudslinging if I'm correct, by the way. But sure, if you would like to go through some of my previous posts and upvote them feel free too.

How about you actually contribute something constructive to this thread? Bickering back and forth is providing nothing useful.

• Upvote 3

The problem I see with the system is that it encourages to much of the whole "faction?" thing between players. If you look at the previous thread about 100k bans it is for the most part the same group of people upvoting or downvoting another group of people and nothing useful is coming out of it.

I don't see a problem with similar groups of people sharing the same opinion. At the end of the day, voting doesn't really affect anything but shows who supports what ideas and opinions.

• Upvote 5

I actually like the upvote/downvote system on the forums, as someone said earlier it's a good way for users to show their opinion on things, but at the same time it can get out of hand and become very easily abuse-able. In light of the recent upvote/downvote war we've been having as of late, I'd say we wait until the storm settles and then come to a sensible decision, because right now people who're downvoted will dislike the feature, whilst those who're upvoted likely approve of it. 

• Upvote 4

I don't see what the problem is with up/down votes. Up votes show that you agree or support an idea without having to make a seperate post to show support. Downvotes show that someone made a shitpost or that they are not contributing to the thread.

The only people that seem to be complaining are the ones that have been downvoted for making shitposts or posts that do not contribute to the discussion.

• Upvote 3

I don't see what the problem is with up/down votes. Up votes show that you agree or support an idea without having to make a seperate post to show support. Downvotes show that someone made a shitpost or that they are not contributing to the thread.

The only people that seem to be complaining are the ones that have been downvoted for making shitposts or posts that do not contribute to the discussion.

In a perfect world that may be what the downvotes are used for, but around here they more frequently get used because someone dissagrees with a contributing post or simply doesn't like the player posting. If you look through the threads (especially some of the more recent ones) the use of downvotes just spurs butthurt "y u downvote me brah" posts and other drama that really only hurts the discussion.

I definitely think upvotes still have a place, but downvotes really don't and don't seem to add much if anything to a discussion.

That is the same opinion I got from reading the old thread that draykhar posted. players missed the upvotes when they were removed, but really didn't care about the downvotes.

• Upvote 3