Forum rule request: use of up/downvotes

barneygale

Votes  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should votes stay or go?

• Keep them!
    • Banish them!
    • Only remove downvotes!

In a perfect world that may be what the downvotes are used for, but around here they more frequently get used because someone dissagrees with a contributing post or simply doesn't like the player posting. If you look through the threads (especially some of the more recent ones) the use of downvotes just spurs butthurt "y u downvote me brah" posts and other drama that really only hurts the discussion.

I definitely think upvotes still have a place, but downvotes really don't and don't seem to add much if anything to a discussion.

That is the same opinion I got from reading the old thread that draykhar posted. players missed the upvotes when they were removed, but really didn't care about the downvotes.

I disagree, I think downvotes can be used well to even-out the karma in some situations and I don't think there's a problem with using them to show if you agree or disagree with a post, as long as it doesn't discourage you from commenting with your own opinion (and just using the votes instead).

If you don't like the votes, ignore them. They really don't affect anything negatively, I don't understand the complaints.

• Upvote 1

In a perfect world that may be what the downvotes are used for, but around here they more frequently get used because someone dissagrees with a contributing post or simply doesn't like the player posting. If you look through the threads (especially some of the more recent ones) the use of downvotes just spurs butthurt "y u downvote me brah" posts and other drama that really only hurts the discussion.

I rarely see downvotes misused. If a post is negative, it is usually a shitty or unrelated post. If the post is constructive the up/down votes will even out or go positive.

If you don't like the votes, ignore them. They really don't affect anything negatively, I don't understand the complaints.

I agree with this.  Some people need to step back and remember that this forum is for a video game server. No need to take a few 'internet points' so seriously. :p

Edited by unce
  • Upvote 3

tQQkds3.png

*I am actually complaining for being down voted but i think this shows how the downvotes / upvotes work on here.

Correct. Players have the option of choosing "upvote" or "downvote", indicated by the different color arrows. Red is usually associated as negative, likewise it is the "downvote" option. Vice versa for "upvote".

• Upvote 2

Correct. Players have the option of choosing "upvote" or "downvote", indicated by the different color arrows. Red is usually associated as negative, likewise it is the "downvote" option. Vice versa for "upvote".

Erm... wat.

probably read it wrong.

• Upvote 1

tQQkds3.png

Not complaining for being down voted but i think this shows how the downvotes / upvotes work on here.

"I agree with all of this" is a classy version of "^^this^^". It is exactly what voting is meant to replace. The reddit rules on downvoting say downvote for something that doesn't add to the conversation. If you want to see downvotes being misused, look at the thread about the book on S. Mrloud is at 0 and S players are at +4 for several posts.

• Upvote 2

If you want to see downvotes being misused, look at the thread about the book on S. Mrloud is at 0 and S players are at +4 for several posts.

If Mrloud said something that players disagree with and S players are saying things that people do agree with, how are votes being misused?

• Upvote 3

If Mrloud said something that players disagree with and S players are saying things that people do agree with, how are votes being misused?

Downvotes are for content that doesn't add to the conversation, not for content you disagree with. Look at the start of this thread, Barney quotes from the redditiquette that I and others felt was implied here. 

• Upvote 1

Downvotes are for content that doesn't add to the conversation, not for content you disagree with. Look at the start of this thread, Barney quotes from the redditiquette that I and others felt was implied here. 

Not the rules though, many people will downvote for things they disagree with. You should be allowed to up/downvote whatever you want, they really don't impact anything. People need to stop getting so hung up over them.

• Upvote 3

Or we could use them in a civilised and well tested way, that does lead to them being useful. You say that people earn a poor reputation for mis-using them, thats why this topic exists. We don't want a small group of players to misuse them then complain about their poor reputation.

• Upvote 1

Uh, I see downvotes/upvotes being used as intended all the time. The only time I've seen them really abused was during the recent argument(s) we had across the forums - otherwise, they're well used and don't affect much unless people are actually assessing what reactions people are giving to different ideas. If anything, I'd like to see more people voting. Nearly all Server Discussion topics get over 100 views, and many go far higher than that - this one for example has nearly reached 750 views, yet the vast majority of the people reading the posts in it aren't voting and so the vote feedback isn't very accurate at all. 

Edit: Proven wrong by difficult1's downvote. 

Edited by EeHee2000

A bunch of people instantly upvote/downvote based on the player who made the post, without even reading the post. It doesn't promote good discussion, it just forces people to pick sides.

This tends to prompt other users to downvote/upvote a user's post to balance out the flood of karma change based on user interactions (not the content being discussed).

This is a good time to say that the voting system needs to be changed to something more specific. A karma scale reflecting the users post as a whole can be too easily manipulated into giving a user a "bad rep." The voting system should be a simple post-specific add-on that states whether a user agrees with what's said, or disagrees. Leaving it as upvote/downvote is too ambiguous.

Edited by ROCKONN
  • Upvote 3

I disagree, I think downvotes can be used well to even-out the karma in some situations and I don't think there's a problem with using them to show if you agree or disagree with a post, as long as it doesn't discourage you from commenting with your own opinion (and just using the votes instead).

I would have to agree with TornadoHorse, this seems like a non-issue. If a member of the community is so angered about what is being said that they need to attack you by clicking on a little red down arrow, then that is fine. I would rather have someone do that, instead of writing out a verbal assault that isn't going to contribute to the discussion. In most cases the upvote/downvote system is going to show a general consistence of what the community agrees or disagrees with.

Edited by Natdog
  • Upvote 3

I feel like this conversation is going nowhere. Some people want them to stay, some people want them to leave. No one is changing heir mind if they haven't already. Can we please have a poll to see where everyone stands without further needless argument?

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

While i like the ability to show support if you agree with the idea, mass down votes happen far to often. Speaking from experience its not to fun having a group of people down voting everything you have ever posted. Maybe have up votes only and down votes disabled? In recent posts i have read, it seems that the up vote/down vote scale is just one group of players down voting and an opposite group up voting. Most of us are here for a forums, not a team battle.

Edited by Difficult1
  • Upvote 2

In recent posts i have read, it seems that the up vote/down vote scale is just one group of players down voting and an opposite group up voting. Most of us are here for a forums, not a team battle.

If up and down votes are based on whether or not you agree with an opinion, then you would expect that people who share the same opinion would vote the same way.  I don't think it's a team battle, but just a sign that a lot of people hold the same opinions on recent threads.

• Upvote 2

If up and down votes are based on whether or not you agree with an opinion, then you would expect that people who share the same opinion would vote the same way.  I don't think it's a team battle, but just a sign that a lot of people hold the same opinions on recent threads.

The way I treat upvotes is an acknowledgement that I read someone's post and agree with it, where I then either add onto the existing ideas, or leave it alone because there's nothing more to add. The issue with downvotes is that most of the time, exacerbated to even worse levels recently, is that it's just used as a dislike button without adding anything to the discussion. It also tends to be used as a petty form of personal attack where users just downvote each other because they dislike that person without putting much thought into what is being said. Unlike an agreeing opinion, with dissenting opinion you generally have to agree to someone else's arguments or present your own.

As such, I'd like to see downvotes removed, since they're not useful for anything in particular that a well-written counterargument wouldn't do far better at. If they're being used to downvote trollish/counterproductive posts, it's better to just ignore them rather than start vote wars that don't add anything. Granted, there's still going to be vote wars with people upvoting their friends and ignoring other opinions, but at least it's better than yelling "I DISAGREE" and downvoting people while moving on without saying anything.

Lastly, if it's so important polls are much more adequate for discerning popular opinion on one idea vs another, where personal matters are less of an issue, though I recognize we can't put polls on everything. Which is why I agree we should make another forum poll, since the last one is a bit dated, to decide what the voting should be.

• Upvote 3

Lastly, if it's so important polls are much more adequate for discerning popular opinion on one idea vs another, where personal matters are less of an issue, though I recognize we can't put polls on everything. Which is why I agree we should make another forum poll, since the last one is a bit dated, to decide what the voting should be.

I couldn't agree more. Can someone please set up a poll for this?