Forum rule request: use of up/downvotes

barneygale

Votes  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should votes stay or go?

• Keep them!
    • Banish them!
    • Only remove downvotes!

Combining those totals would be proper survey implementation, i.e. there is a consensus to keep upvotes and a split vote on the removal of downvotes.

Only if you assume that a player who voted for no votes would have chosen "upvotes only" as their second choice.  Some people who voted to remove all voting might only want upvotes if they can have downvotes too.  

You can't go combining totals in a yes/no survey like this.  You can only do that if you have people rank their choices.

• Upvote 1

Only if you assume that a player who voted for no votes would have chosen "upvotes only" as their second choice. Some people who voted to remove all voting might only want upvotes if they can have downvotes too.

You can't go combining totals in a yes/no survey like this. You can only do that if you have people rank their choices.

Ah, good point.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP. Looks like most people who care have voted at this point. The current results remind me of an amusing quote.

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."

Sounds like something a member of the 49% might say.

• Upvote 1

BUMP. Looks like most people who care have voted at this point. The current results remind me of an amusing quote.

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."

What?

This was a fair and square vote. Every forum user had the same opportunity to vote, no one was oppressed or their vote denied.

Just because the vote didn't go the way that you wanted it to, doesn't mean it's any less valid..

Also, you say "taking away rights", but voting is already here, so the people who voted for votes to be removed would be the people "removing the rights" of those people, not the way you implied it.

Edited by Four_Down
  • Upvote 1

What?

This was a fair and square vote. Every forum user had the same opportunity to vote, no one was oppressed or their vote denied.

Just because the vote didn't go the way that you wanted it to, doesn't mean it's any less valid..

Also, you say "taking away rights", but voting is already here, so the people who voted for votes to be removed would be the people "removing the rights" of those people, not the way you implied it.

Wow. That exploded. I was one of the people calling for the vote, so I accept its results either way. I just said it reminded me of that quote because it was 51:49. Apologies if I didn't clarify that better.

• Upvote 1

Wow. That exploded. I was one of the people calling for the vote, so I accept its results either way. I just said it reminded me of that quote because it was 51:49. Apologies if I didn't clarify that better.

#wasajoke. Might not want to take everything so personally.