MORE Changes to Creative

LetsBFehr

Recently, we have been tweaking C and adding some things such as compasses, horses, and /hat in order to make C a better and more fun place to play.  In our relentless pursuit to always improve, we are currently discussing even more changes that we believe will improve the C experience.  We would love to hear feedback on two changes that I am proposing to be added to C.

Moving Policy

For as long as I can remember our policy on C for admins moving things have been for "land disputes".  Now for those of you who play enough, you know that this isn't really strictly enforced, and us Cadmins move things like cars for roads, and builds that may have been built in the wrong place.  I would like to change this rule officially to state that "If you have a valid reason for your build to be moved, you can request a move by using /modreq and explaining why you need the build moved.  Abuse of this system will result in move requests from you no longer being granted".  I think this is a step in the right direction, and it's honestly a policy that all 3 of us cadmins follow anyway.

ModMode on Creative

We had a discussion a while back about this, and it got shot down.  I would like to revisit the topic though.  C is the only server where ModMode is not used by mods to do staff stuff.  Although it is present, I know of very few people who actually use it.  I think a big argument back then was not having compasses and that it would be a pain to move around just to check without /modmoding and getting a compass, but with compasses and water now available for all players, I think implementing modmode only for staff powers would be beneficial.  Also from a staff view, I really don't like it when I tp to someone or jump in the PVP arena illegally because staff powers overrides any and all protections.  It's also hard doing some things like spleef without destroying the walls on accident.  ModMode would fix this and lessen the gap between staff and regular players.

Let me know your thoughts, critiques, or suggestions.  These changes are by no means final, but if feedback is good I would like to see them changed sometime soon.

Thanks

LetsBFehr

• Upvote 2

Recently, we have been tweaking C and adding some things such as compasses, horses, and /hat in order to make C a better and more fun place to play.  In our relentless pursuit to always improve, we are currently discussing even more changes that we believe will improve the C experience.  We would love to hear feedback on two changes that I am proposing to be added to C.

Moving Policy

For as long as I can remember our policy on C for admins moving things have been for "land disputes".  Now for those of you who play enough, you know that this isn't really strictly enforced, and us Cadmins move things like cars for roads, and builds that may have been built in the wrong place.  I would like to change this rule officially to state that "If you have a valid reason for your build to be moved, you can request a move by using /modreq and explaining why you need the build moved.  Abuse of this system will result in move requests from you no longer being granted".  I think this is a step in the right direction, and it's honestly a policy that all 3 of us cadmins follow anyway.

ModMode on Creative

We had a discussion a while back about this, and it got shot down.  I would like to revisit the topic though.  C is the only server where ModMode is not used by mods to do staff stuff.  Although it is present, I know of very few people who actually use it.  I think a big argument back then was not having compasses and that it would be a pain to move around just to check without /modmoding and getting a compass, but with compasses and water now available for all players, I think implementing modmode only for staff powers would be beneficial.  Also from a staff view, I really don't like it when I tp to someone or jump in the PVP arena illegally because staff powers overrides any and all protections.  It's also hard doing some things like spleef without destroying the walls on accident.  ModMode would fix this and lessen the gap between staff and regular players.

Let me know your thoughts, critiques, or suggestions.  These changes are by no means final, but if feedback is good I would like to see them changed sometime soon.

Thanks

LetsBFehr

this all seems very...

giphy.gif

FEHR

• Upvote 9

This all sounds good to me, I just ask that if the changes are made to ModMode that the following bugs be fixed first:

• The colors of names are backwards. When in ModMode and vanished your name should be teal (it is currently green) and when unvanished it should be green (it is currently teal). 
  • When entering ModMode you are automatically vanished however once you exit ModMode you are not unvanished. You stay vanished and have to manually type /unvanish

• When entering ModMode you are automatically vanished however once you exit ModMode you are not unvanished. You stay vanished and have to manually type /unvanish

A tech can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is currently due to the fact that you're allowed to be vanished outside of modmode on C as a mod. This change would remove that permission from the Player Entity, thus forcing to unvanish when leaving Modmode Entity.

In terms of modmode, I don't see a big problem with making powers purely for modmode, I don't think we have had much problem with abuse, I like modmode on creative being an option. On survival and PvE it is a necessity. In terms of tping to someone, when I was a staff member I shot them a quick pm asking if it was alright at the time, having said that I do see the benefit there.

Suggestions:

- A weekly blog or video on the creative server talking about changes, showing off interesting builds or just interacting with the community. Maybe some talk on what the creative staff are doing.

- I'd like more creative meetings say every so many weeks there will be a meeting or two. I am not a big fan of the waiting until there is a very large number of topics that have to be discussed or until we feel there hasn't been one in a while approach.

- I'd like to link this suggestion https://nerd.nu/forums/index.php?/topic/2251-addition-of-mini-games-to-creative/

- I'd like spleef to be made a bigger thing on creative, have tournaments hosted by staff members

- Same goes with PvP tournaments. We have the arenas we should use them.

- Use prize plots more in contests.

Sketchy one: Addition of mobs, this is sketchy because it is a lot of work for no real purpose, however mobs are fun people like making farms ect. I have forgotten a lot of the problems with getting mobs on creative though so this really isn't one of my main suggestions.

That's it from me, creative is looking good, the cadmin team and the rest of the staff have been doing a great job in moving creative in a positive direction. Keep up the great work!!! :)

The WorldEdit moving things ruffles me just a little bit, since C has historically been dedicated to being a hand-building server.  However, compromises have been made (like the /haste command and the compass), and I think that, as long as it doesn't fall into abuse, it could be integrated fine.

And being one of what is apparently few who actually does use modmode, I'm all for that.  As long as the /unvanish thing when you leave modmode works, that's still bugged for me sometimes.

Could we have some sort of schematic export, possibly by modreq, to a public folder? If it's export only it lets us save our builds between revisions, and helps us use C as a testground, without filling up the map with any schematic we find online. In past revs I laid the groundwork for a large build and didn't come back to it, I could use a schematic download and something like Schematica to show me what to do in a new world.

• Upvote 2

I could use a schematic download and something like Schematica to show me what to do in a new world.

For the record, Schematica itself can do that.  The only possible need for the server to handle an export would be if you try to save a section outside your chunk loading limit, and then you can probably just do them in sections and stitch them together in MCEdit or something.

For the record, Schematica itself can do that.  The only possible need for the server to handle an export would be if you try to save a section outside your chunk loading limit, and then you can probably just do them in sections and stitch them together in MCEdit or something.

Just wondering, for older revisions, wouldn't downloading the revision itself also suffice, unless I'm missing something here?

"A weekly blog or video on the creative server talking about changes, showing off interesting builds or just interacting with the community. Maybe some talk on what the creative staff are doing." -Skrap

Yea, we did that, unfortunately it didnt work as well as we all thought it would.

Edited by Difficult1

"A weekly blog or video on the creative server talking about changes, showing off interesting builds or just interacting with the community. Maybe some talk on what the creative staff are doing." -Skrap

Yea, we did that, unfortunately it didnt work as well as we all thought it would.

As far as I am aware the cadmins have never had a weekly blog or video for the server. We have had players post videos on nice builds which are very good but I think if the cadmins showed what they do, how certain situations are handled, what is in store for the creative server ect it would be quite a nice thing and it should be successful, thrawn's blog was very successful when she did it.

• Upvote 1

As far as I am aware the cadmins have never had a weekly blog or video for the server. We have had players post videos on nice builds which are very good but I think if the cadmins showed what they do, how certain situations are handled, what is in store for the creative server ect it would be quite a nice thing and it should be successful, thrawn's blog was very successful when she did it.

The only thing is, history will likely repeat itself and end abruptly/shortly after the starting date just as thrawn's diary thing did, but if it's pulled off I'd be very impressed and it'd be a great thing for Creative. 

• Upvote 2

The only thing is, history will likely repeat itself and end abruptly/shortly after the starting date just as thrawn's diary thing did, but if it's pulled off I'd be very impressed and it'd be a great thing for Creative. 

I agree with you, usually the whole "let's do something to help C" only lasts a few days. If this lasts that would be great.

Edited by Dex4002
  • Upvote 1